Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gasoline drip while changing fuel filter

andrewc4

Corvette
1994 Polo Green Coupe
94 - Gasoline drips while I'm disconnecting/connecting the inlet hose on the new fuel filter, (ACDelco). The line comes from the gas tank, and is probably lower than the tank, directly connected, so the fluid drips from the any available hole, in this case the open inlet pipe.

Is there a way to prevent this drip? Its messy and its dangerous.

Should I have changed the filter with only half a tank? Too late now.

By the way, the previous owner had a Fram fuel filter installed. Are the fuel filters as bad as some say the air filters are?

If the fuel filter is even close to the poor quality of the oil and air filters, I'd play it safe and buy something else.

I had the same problem on my 95 vert. after close inspection,I noticed one of the o-rings was cracked.I replaced it and no problems

-
Gasoline drips while I'm disconnecting/connecting the inlet hose on the new fuel filter, (ACDelco). The line comes from the gas tank, and is probably lower than the tank, directly connected, so the fluid drips from the any available hole, in this case the open inlet pipe.

Is there a way to prevent this drip? Its messy and its dangerous.

You will get some drip when changing the filter, you can cut down the amount by relieving the pressure at the schroeder valve into a rag; best done with a cold engine.

Engine was absolutely cold and pressure was released with a fuel pressure guage. I used a black rubber cap to seal the inlet line, but the dripping when replacing the inlet o-ring and reconnecting the line was no fun at all. Too bad there wasn't a valve at the tank that could have been put in the closed position to make changing the filter a little easier.

My outlet o-ring was in terrible shape, looked like a piece was ripped out when the filter was removed. Replaced both rings.

Job completed, while I was at it, with the wheel well wall removed, I also got to the back two plugs.

Thanks for the comments

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom