Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gasoline odor

Booie

Corvette
1979 Dark Green L-48 Coupe
I have a gasoline odor when car is parked in the garage I thought it was the gas line hose to the pump leaking so I changed the Gas hose to the pump & the vapor return line hose but I still have the odor. also should there be gsoline in the vapor hose.Thanks Bruce

Did you check the gas line in the rear at the tank. Mine had pinhole. Kept smelling gas in carport. Finally leaked enough where I could see it on ground.

My gas smell came from the gasket between the filler tube and the gas tank itself.A previous owner was in there and tried to reuse the gasket.

When I had that problem, it was my fuel pump. There is a seal inside the fuel pump, and when it goes bad fuel leaks out of a small hole. Apparently it is not very rare. However, when mine went, I was out of town for the weekend and drained 1/4 a tank of gasoline into my garage. I'm lucky nothing blew up.

How strong is the smell? Could it just be the fuel in the carb?

My gas smell came from the gasket between the filler tube and the gas tank itself.A previous owner was in there and tried to reuse the gasket.

I agree. If you don't find a leak at one of the rubber hoses check the top of the tank around the filler neck. The gas splashes around when the tank is full and sits on top of the tank. No drips to see so it's hard to find but it stinks up the garage.

Other places:

Sending unit under tank, fuel line sending unit to hardline rear, return fuel line top of tank to hard line, fuel line from hard line to fuel pump, return fuel line from fuel pump to hard line, fuel line from fuel pump to carb, fuel filter fitting, gas on intake manifold, charcoal canister....

Good luck.

Whiplash

I have a gasoline odor when car is parked in the garage I thought it was the gas line hose to the pump leaking so I changed the Gas hose to the pump & the vapor return line hose but I still have the odor. also should there be gsoline in the vapor hose.Thanks Bruce[/quote Does the smell only happen after a fill up ? Worse in a right turn ? Check the Gas Vapor Recovery Tank . Drivers side wheel well look up to the gas tank. The black plastic tank should still have a bottom attached. It is part of the gas fume recovery syst. The filter canister is in the driver's w/w. The plastic tank may have lost it's lower 1/2. I plugged the hose. If you take this route, you have to vent the gas cap.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom