Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gassy Car sitting in basement

bevsvet

Hi, I saw an article that popped up on Zip corvettes on C3 called gassy cars and called them and they referred me to the corvette forum. Said they get their articles from here. My 71 smells so gassy sitting in the basement not running and I remember something about the gas tank to a carbon filter in the engine compartment that would stop this and dropping the gas tank.
Does anybody have that information as my car can’t be the only one like that. Mine is so bad that when you crank it, you have to get it out as sets off all of the fire alarms in my whole house. I need help please.
bevsvet

Have you checked it over for fuel leaks?

Gassy car sitting in basement

Have you checked it over for fuel leaks?
yes, gas leaks dry up dripping,’it is coming from the rear where the new tank was put in and also I smell it when I open the gas cap.I didn’t put the tank in, I am not a mechanic. Not the carburetor.
Probably the person that did that caused it but even before a new tank it always smelled that way in my basement, I have no one to check it. Even before to, when I crank it I have to back it out quickly as the fumes sets my whole fire alarm system off in my house. It can’t run it in there sitting. I lost my husband 10’years ago and he would know but not a lot of people I even trust or know to take it to. The guy that did the gas tank repainted it and not sure he even did the tank correctly. Not much of a mechanic either.!where else should I check? Has been happening since I lived here. Before the tank.

Whatever you do Bev do not use a conventional drop light to check it out.1 drop of gas on a hot bulb will cause the bulb to explode & probably the house etc with you along with it.Gas fumes in a garage are dangerous as pilot light from a dryer,hot water heater etc can cause a explosion.Please be careful !!! Other than the link I posted it could be the tank straps rubed a hole it or corrosion somewhere.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom