Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gauges!!!!!!

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
Now I am going crazy. All this time on my hands and pain killers is making me loose my mind and my wallet.

Okay, here is the latest damage. Redmist turned me on to the AutoMeter ProComp/Ultra light series of gauges. He went with black face on his center in the 2 1/16" size.

My center gauges are trashed. Although I have an extra set of speedo and tach, they are both cable drives. I spent so much time sanding and shaving, filling the firewall, I hate to drill holes back in it. Plus, I scored a MSD distributor to match all the other MSD components and it does not have the cable drive.

Okay, I ordered the Autometer ProComp in the light silver face with the 160 mph speedo, 10K tach, oil pressure, water temp, volts, fuel gauge, and as a special twist, a fuel pressure gauge to keep an eye on the higher pressure needed to run the fuel injection. They are all electronic, so the senders are on the engine and trans, and nothing but wires in the car.

The needles glow red on the speedo and tach. On a tripple black car that is going to be so awesome to peek inside and see these bright faced gauges. I am also going to look into getting the neon type bulbs that back light them in that freaky glow in the dark blue/purple like you see on many new cars. The speedo and tach are 5", and the stock gauge is just a tad over 5", so there should be enough room to custom build them into the stock housings.

i have never been a fan of the stock gauges. be sure to post some pics. i'd love to see how thay come out. it sounds like something i might like to try.

If I was going from scratch like you the white face guages are definetly the way to go. With the black motif overall it will look great.
I had a SVT Ford Contour with white face gauges and red backlighting, the needles glowed with that blue/red/purple light that is in these days. It was very cool at night.
Just don't go too "Ricer Racer" on us. The neon is scaring me a little :).

Sooooooooooo,

I should return the large Formula One adjustable rear tripple wing, large stickers written in Japanese that I don't even understand, rain gutter grilles to install anywhere I cut a hole in the car, and the 6" chrome exhaust tip?

Man, I thought that was going to look soooooooo cool. Plus the wheel spacers I got to push the wheels 2" out of the wheel well openings. Darnit, I thought I was on to something.

I saw the movie "The fast and the furious", I thought for sure dozens of 20 something young ladies would not be able to resist me with that stuff.

Doh!!!!!

Maybe she won't see this thread :nono

The gauges came in today. As I figured, there will be some fabrication to get them right. Mainly on the tach and speedo. The center gauges will be much easier to almost drop right in.

Looks like I need to get some 3/16" aluminum plate and hole saw cut the diameter of the main gauge body. The outside will be trimmed to fit the back of the stock housing. Then, the new gauge will slide in the hole and clamp into place.

Got to take care of some medical concerns this afternoon, and jump into the gauge a little later.

Guages

I'm thinking these will fit the 1975 Coupe as well - Yes ???
Look gorgeous !

Hi 69MyWay
Yes, pics pls.
I'm sure that one of this days ( years ! ), I need to go the same way with my 68 BB convert.
Nothing against the old gauges, but the mechanical drive can be a killer.
If you don't mind, it would be nice to give us ( me ) details on the gauges, like provider, price .
Sometimes, I wonder on how much money can be spend on one car only.:crazy
Great looking car you have.
Thanks for the info. Gunther

Gunther said:
Hi 69MyWay
Yes, pics pls.
I'm sure that one of this days ( years ! ), I need to go the same way with my 68 BB convert.
Nothing against the old gauges, but the mechanical drive can be a killer.
If you don't mind, it would be nice to give us ( me ) details on the gauges, like provider, price .
Sometimes, I wonder on how much money can be spend on one car only.:crazy
Great looking car you have.
Thanks for the info. Gunther

Gunther check out my Photopoint here

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1428880

Go to the last set of pics of the 69MyWay and you will see what I have done thus far on the gauges. I can't wait to see it all go together. I just ordered a new dash top, passenger and driver side and a new center. When all this comes in I will smack it together and standardize the wiring into a nice neat bundle.

Thanks for the compliments.

I saw the first sign of life in the car today. I finished wiring up the tail lights, tag, and rear running lights and put a battery to it. It was just a flicker, but is the first sign of life. I can't wait!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom