Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Gellcoat and primer color

sweible

Corvette
1981 White
I am considering stripping the paint off my 81 in preperation for a paint job. She was produced in Bowlimg Green 9/81 as a solid color car. Does anyone know what color gelcoat and primer the factory used during that time period? There are two colors on her now, the original beige and a later top coat of white. Thanks for your help.

I don't believe 81's had a gel coat and the primer was brown. You can try the razor blade technique to remove the old paint. There's a video on youtube that shows how to do it. How were you going to strip the paint?

stripping paint

Not sure yet but the two choices are the razor blade or a chemical stripper. I think the chemical stripper would be easier but since the fiberglass has some porosity I'm afraid some of the stripper may absorbed by the glass and would be a problem at a later date after the car has been painted a while. Two of the body shops I spoke to don't use chemical strippers for that very reason. Sooo... I'm on the fence.

I stripped mine myself using Captn Lees stripper that I got from one of the suppliers. Worked great and have had no paint problems in the last 12 years. I did as much prep as possible as I couldnt justify an expensive paint job that costs more than these cars are worth!

There was no gelcoat on any factory panels. They are SMC and did not need it. Do you need to remove the factory primer? My advice would be to remove the white and tan color coats, then see what you have.

:)

There was no gelcoat on any factory panels. They are SMC and did not need it. Do you need to remove the factory primer? My advice would be to remove the white and tan color coats, then see what you have.

:)

smiley4.gif smiley4.gif smiley4.gif

I suspect that the red in Gail's front end was from the repair back in 1985 at Good Chevrolet, Alameda, California.

IMG_3043.JPG

I suspect that her factory's primer was more like what is visible from passenger door and rearwards.

IMG_3045.JPG

Close-up.

IMG_3044.JPG

I hope this helps. :D

GerryLP:cool

Primer color

Thanks Gerry

The pic's help. Hadn't seen one stripped and sanded.

Steve Weible

I suspect that the red in Gail's front end was from the repair back in 1985 at Good Chevrolet, Alameda, California.

IMG_3043.JPG

I suspect that her factory's primer was more like what is visible from passenger door and rearwards.

IMG_3045.JPG

Close-up.

IMG_3044.JPG

I hope this helps. :D

GerryLP:cool

Hey Gerry.... looks like you got too close to Sandia one day while they were "experimenting". hahaha;LOL

nut :D

We used to chemically strip our Corvettes back in the '70s with Zip Strip. It is water soluble and cleans up well with a pressure washer and scrubbing with a brush. Never had a paint problem after using this and spending a lot of time cleaning it off afterward. Guys I know that used solvent based stripper always seemed to have problems with paint lifting in seams and places that it would leach into. It's still a heck of a mess to do though.

I stripped a '47 Ford coupe with a razor one time and it was pretty easy. Very little mess and setting out in the hot sun helped a lot. At my age and considerably lowered ambition level, I would probably just have it soda blasted.

Nut,

Retirement is getting closer every day.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom