Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

general question

fedcop90vette

Corvette
1990 Black Coupe
I have a stock 1990,L98,it has approx 95,000 miles. I have had the car for a month now,my question is this: For the first 3 1/2 weeks while the vehicle was in gear I had no erratic camshaft shake when I was stopped at a red light. Now after running the car for another 1/2 week, when I'm at a red light it feels as thoug there is a competition camshaft. The tacometer doesn't go erratic, but you get that camshaft shake. All guages are normal,no warning lights come on, no fluid leaks,no metal to metal noises coming from the engine,everything appears normal except that racing shake when stopped and my foot on the break.

Oh yes pickup is fine, response is great. My question is since I didn't have this 1 month ago when I bought the car, could this be a sign of something getting ready to go? Maybe the camshaft? any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Fedcop,

Sorry I can't help you with your question but hopefully we'll have a member come along soon more knowledgeable about the issue. I just wanted to say hello and welcome to the Corvette Action Center!

Enjoy your Vette and the forums.
:w Jane Ann

Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome! I really enjoy this site and all the great people such as you. Take care and happy vetting!

Look for the simple things first. Our plastic cars are electric nightmares and at 17 years young you are sure to have some bad ground points.

But first keep it simple.
Air
Fuel
Spark
Are they all there at the right time and in the right quantity?

Do you get the idle problems only when you step on the brake peddle or does it shake in Park or Neutral as well?
Try using the Handbrake with the car in gear. Does the problem still occur? If the answer is No then your brake booster is leaking.

A weak ignition lead or iffy plug will cause a lumpy idle but still run OK at higher RPMs.

Vacuum leaks are common on the L98 and a small leak will drive the IAC nuts trying to regulate idle speed.

Unless the engine has been abused I can not remember seeing a SBC valve train go south at 95K.
:w

Thanks

Thank you for you advice, I think it may be in the ignition system/fuel system. Started the car today,it would turn over but as soon as you gave it some gas it would stall. Maybe a clogged fuel filter,injector or some fouled plugs. No warning lights came on and also no sign of any fluid leaks. I'm going to do exactly what you suggested and start with the simple things. Thanks again, I will keep you posted on what I find.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom