Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Getting ready for new paint! (pics inside)

Very nice to see, also good luck with the new paint. And be sure to post some pictures! :upthumbs

Groeten Peter

I know that it must be very exciting times for you right now, Centsless. I am glad that you have reached the current stage in your restoration. Like Peter said, keep us posted. We're all always curious about how the progress takes place and learn about do's and don'ts as well.

The process images are also great for later on to show to the insurance company how in depth was the exterior paint finish restoration. :thumb

I know that it must be very exciting times for you right now, Centsless. I am glad that you have reached the current stage in your restoration. Like Peter said, keep us posted. We're all always curious about how the progress takes place and learn about do's and don'ts as well.

The process images are also great for later on to show to the insurance company how in depth was the exterior paint finish restoration. :thumb

How true! I have all of the pictures from rebuilding my 95 Impala SS ( I had to put a frame under it) and My Dad and I rebuilt a 1972 C10 pickup and I have that documented in photos as well. They are also cool to look back on several years down the road and remember how fun...or not...it was! This one has been good so far. Nothing has broken that I didn't expect. The body has has only a few very small areas of work done. The few small problems I had with the car are turning out to be quick inexpensive fixes. The power antenna did not work. When I pulled it out, the wires were not hooked to it! The mast is broken and will need replacement, but a $35 mast beats a $200 antenna anyday!

:w centsless and Welcome to the Action Center and the L81VetteRegistry

I was wondering, I don't believe I read how your are taking your old paint off? There has been a LOT of discussion on how to strip paint, prep the fiberglass for paint. So being the curious type :D I was wondering ?

And YES keep those restoration photo's coming, I for one enjoy seeing them and appreciate all the WORK, TIME and EFFORT :thumb

Bud

We are using chemical paint stripper to remove the paint. It takes it down to the black primer. Then we are sanding it using a D A sander with 80 grit to remove the primer and the paint remaining on the edges. We are following that with 180 grit to clean everything up, and after that we will finish with 320 before primer. The dealership my Dad works at is painting the car and they will sand the primer. I just have to get it to bare glass. Hopefully it will get to the shop in two weeks or so. And I will make sure to keep the pictures coming!

very nice pics...
the anticipation as it goes to be painted and then getting hit ready to drive again can be quite a build up!!!!:thumb

Looks great to me!
If it's painted don't rush it and take your time. The first 90% are easy but the last 10% are what makes or breakes a car. :)

Groeten Peter

Beginning to take shape!:thumb Cool! :cool

What version of red is that?

GerryLP:cool

Thanks! It is the stock red for 1981, code 75.

:thumb I know the feeling of new paint! Very exciting! All except for when you get your first ding in it from raod debris! :L

They seem to have been very thorough taking off the doors AND the rear glass! I'm assuming that they also took out the headlight covers and painted them?

:thumb I know the feeling of new paint! Very exciting! All except for when you get your first ding in it from raod debris! :L

They seem to have been very thorough taking off the doors AND the rear glass! I'm assuming that they also took out the headlight covers and painted them?

Thanks! I took the car apart and did the prep work. My Dad and I dissasembled the car, Dad did the bodywork ( basically just re smoothed the seams ) and then we took it to the paint shop. I went over there and wet sanded the primer with 600 grit twice, then they painted it. All of the pieces were painted off the car, the doors, hood, tops, gas door, headlight bezels, etc. I am going to let the car sit for a week or so before starting the re assembly process. I need to get my '72 Chevy Pickup running first. I am putting a 454 in it and need to finish it before I start back on the 'Vette.

Sweat ride man! was that a bentley in ur garage?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom