Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Getting the band back together where is every one?

IH2LOSE

Corvette
1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
So I dropped in to look thru some old post to see if I could find what kinda carburetor I had on my 1962 corvette. Every year I have troubles with the tri power carbs leaking or running bad and decided THATS IT off they come. (the car sat on the lift for 3 years or so untouched after my knee replacement ) So I plan on removing the tri power and putting back on a simple ,easey to maintain and repair Single holley 750 carb.Well I ordered a new carb from auto zone of all places at a crazy low price, Wouldn't you know I just found the manifold and carburetor I took off to install the tri Power but for the price of what I paid for the new Holly I am not even gong to waste my time rebuilding the old speed demon I took off,

Unfortunately I only have about 3000 miles on the car since I built it, We just don't use it. Once I get it running correctly again if I don't get at least 100 miles on it before carlilse. I plan on bringing to Carlisle to sell or trade for a car I can fit in. The last 12 years ,I have put on about 60 pounds, Had to have a stent installed, New Knee, and a couple of hand surgeries . My body just doesn't fit or contort the same way as it used to , or the car shrunk and thats why it doesn't fit the same. I am almost afraid to ask what is the latest news with John Z ,When I think of all of the information he gave me that I still refer to and retain today, John Magraw, Charles Bernhart these guys were so smart and shared it all with me for free . I cant even list all of the great folks I have met and learned from on this site

So please drop me a PM to say hey to me and tell me where you are more then a decade latter in your life. As I read thru allot of the threads I realize all of the great friendships I developed thru this web portal, and how kind and shairing every one was while I was constructing my 62

Larry

Last edited:
Hi larry,

I can't say for sure where everyone has gotten off to. I check profiles occasionally and find that most still stop off and read but don't post. JohnZ hasn't been around much here or on the NCRS tech board since his medical problems. I do see him on another forum often though. Maybe he has cut back and just not trying to keep up with everything now.

As for the shrinking Corvette, well I think a lot of them have shrunk. Smaller diameter or flat bottom steering wheels seem to be all the rage these days.

Tom

Hi larry,

I can't say for sure where everyone has gotten off to. I check profiles occasionally and find that most still stop off and read but don't post. JohnZ hasn't been around much here or on the NCRS tech board since his medical problems. I do see him on another forum often though. Maybe he has cut back and just not trying to keep up with everything now.

As for the shrinking Corvette, well I think a lot of them have shrunk. Smaller diameter or flat bottom steering wheels seem to be all the rage these days.

Tom

Thanks Tom, When I built my 62, I raised the column, hand build a gauge cluster to move wheel further from seat and I already have a tiny steering wheel. I am looking foward to driving it again. I put stabile in the gas but the carbs were all gummed up and since rebuilding them I could never keep them sealed up, So now like so many times in the past I am waiting on my parts to come in, I hope I remember how to do this stuff.

I should take all the boxes out of my '59 and see how well I fit. I need to get going on thaqt thing again or somebody else will end up doing it.

Tom

Well I have collected all of the needed parts to put my single carburetor and new manifold back on. I sure home I remember how to tune a holley and re set timing, I forget now should it be ported or full manifold. I have to find the John Z article on this Any one have it handy

Well I made some progress , As stated before all of the seals were dried up and leaking after a rebuild

i-XJwj87f-M.jpg

What I want to install.

i-2mVhnSZ-M.jpg

I was wondering if I remembered how to do all of this stuff

i-gRHKTXT-M.jpg

Here I am today, I had to install a spacer under carb as the choke fast idle screw hit the manifold not allowing full throttle. I have a water leak at a fitting in manifold .And still have to do a quick tune and replace plugs

i-RLrvQkC-M.jpg

And this is the car its in

i-9gJLCJ4-L.jpg

Hey Larry how are you! I stop by every now and then. If you do go to Carlisle this year stop by building T, I will be there with my ‘60.

04185023-2667-454F-9451-1E8F79E4693C.jpg

By the way, JohnZ is still kicking although he has had to slow down. He still helps everyone with his vast array of documentation and knowledge.

Herb

Good to hear from you . I hope to be there with my 62 with a forsale sign in it
If I recall, last time I knew you were at Carlisle you had a for sale on it....after i got done with my '60 I swore I wouldnt do it again because of all the money I spent on getting it complete....right up until I was at Carlisle in 2008 in building T for Restomods and I walked over to SRIII Motorsports and put a down payment on a C2 chassis. Then I spent the next 6 months trying to find an acceptable car. Found a number matching 340hp 4 spd 63 swc coupe. I had bought it right. I had a lot of people give me s$hit about turning a matching number car into a restomod...so I offered to trade to anyone that could come up with a clean birdcage car.

I had one guy that really wanted it but all he could come up with was cars that I had already looked at and rejected. In the end, no one had anything. So I sold the chassis and everything I knew I would need. Recently I did another fire sale getting rid of even more stuff. I have great plans for the car, now to execute!

LS7, T-56 Viper 6 spd, Kinsler cross ram. Billet Specialties wheels. C5 front and C4 rear, a number of trick things in the interior including electric vent windows. I am going all out on this car.....

When I bought it everything was apart and I mean everything. So I have been building the car..finding out what parts I am missing and what needs fit adjustment. Its a good thing I am doing this as there are a number of things that need adjustment. I am about 2 years away I think from being done. Fortunately I am retired now and have the time to put at it....

Of course, you realize, we need pictures.

Tom

Of course, you realize, we need pictures.

Tom
Well, just a few! The car is much further along than this photo....but you know what they say...nothing before it’s time....like a fine wine!

C154A586-CA2D-45D9-841C-E062957A0022.png

F77DCD10-175F-405B-849F-B9024DA18EFF.png

92EB6251-4331-474F-8517-3156A0766A79.png

That's going to be a nice one. There were a few really nice '63 coupe restomods at Mecum Indy last month.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom