Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Glass fuel filter housing

L

lnirenberg

I recently had my car dyno tuned at ACS racing in Hanover, Ma (great job by the way, they found me about 50 ft/lbs) and when they saw the glass fuel filter housing they told me it was a major fire hazard because it sits on the intake manifold insulated by a half round of heater hose between it and the intake. He claims they break rather routinely and if this were to happen it would be curtains for the beloved 71. He dug through his parts draw and came up with a red aluminum filter with barbed end fitting the size of my fuel lines made by System 1. The price was certainly right, but should I make the swap or was he blowing smoke (or fire as the case may be) up my a**?

Steel is the best fuel system component for durability and fire protection. An Aluminum filter should be OK. Glass is not a good idea, because as he said it can break very easily with impact. Put in a good filter and breath easy. The life of a good filter is a long one without fires.

Glass, plastic, or rubber between the fuel pump and the carb is a sure recipe for a fire; don't use any of them. There's a reason the OEM pump-to-carb system is all steel.

:beer

personally, I HATE THOSE GLASS FILTERS!!!! The problem with them isn't breakage, it's the fact that the filter element is way too fine, and plugs up all the time. they're pretty tough to break though, and even if it did break, chances are it wouldn't cause a fire, but it's possible. Lots of people think the instant gas hits a hot engine, it's all over, and that just isn't true. give it a shot sometime on a car you don't car about. get it good and hot, and drip a little (keep in mind, I said a "little") fuel on the exhaust manifold. nothing will happen other than the gas will sizzle. anyway, I've had the best luck with the cheapo Fram plastic fuel filters. you can just look for the one in the blister pack with 3/8 ends on both sides. I usually just install one before the fuel pump, out of view. they work great.

goertz said:
Lots of people think the instant gas hits a hot engine, it's all over, and that just isn't true. give it a shot sometime on a car you don't car about. get it good and hot, and drip a little (keep in mind, I said a "little") fuel on the exhaust manifold. nothing will happen other than the gas will sizzle.

I inadvertently did that experiment with my vette. The part on the gas tank that allows it to breath broke on mine. So, when I went around a corner with a full gas tank, gas would pour from the gas tank onto my hot mufflers, and nothing happened. My dad witnessed this when he was driving behind me. Although I quickly fixed the problem and never want to try that again. However, gas landing on hot metal didn't do anything.

Matt

Vaporised fuel does not instantly ignite. However, when in close proximity to spark plug wires it could burn you up.
All you need is a spark and it's a ball of fire!

I have a brand new glass filter out in the garage in my tool chest. I was going to use it and got to reading all of the post about how dangerous they were. I wound up buying a billet aluminum filter from Zoops with the smooth finish. I ran the car this way for years. Then for Christmas this year my wife bought me some braided stainless hose and I stepped up to a fuel log with a built in filter and the braided lines.

Eddie 70 said:
I have a brand new glass filter out in the garage in my tool chest. I was going to use it and got to reading all of the post about how dangerous they were. I wound up buying a billet aluminum filter from Zoops with the smooth finish. I ran the car this way for years. Then for Christmas this year my wife bought me some braided stainless hose and I stepped up to a fuel log with a built in filter and the braided lines.

Source for all those goodies?

My problem with the cheapy glass filters (and similar clear plastic ones)

Isn't the fear of breakage, which is a reasonable one, but they seem to LOVE to LEAK! I had lots of fun with them slightly unscrewing. On the other hand it was a nice problem finder - if the filter is empty, you ain't got no fuel! :L

You can most cheaply get th largest variety of all such things for normal carbs from Summit or Jegs - both hav extensive on line catalogs with pics. Many others offer the same wide selections too.

I've always had a concern on the aluminum filters, especially finned ones, that are after pump. I currently have one, but I take great care to insulate the side that faces the engine - for fear of the aluminum efficiently ABSORBING heat from it. Now on the frame rail or somewhere else away from the heat, they would nicely serve to cool the fuel.

BTW, I've had a number of the disposable aluminum ones, especially the pretty chrome plated ones, quickly developing an annoying small leak on the crimp. If you use one, check it frequently at first before and shortly after starting to see if it feels damp or smells of gas.

Does anyony remember when GM used a filter with a glass bowl? It seems we are becoming more paranoid as the years roll by. I have a Purelator glass in line filter on my '76. Been on there for at least 5 years. Car is still unsinged!

I remember when every car made had a glass bowl filter. Never heard of one breaking. But that was back a couple of days ago. How old am I?;LOL

For a couple of bucks you can make your own hardline from the pump to the carb...

Front.jpg

JohnZ said:
Glass, plastic, or rubber between the fuel pump and the carb is a sure recipe for a fire; don't use any of them.

Hah hah - ROFL!!!:L:L:L:L:L:L

Any automotive engineer w/ a good breadth of practical experience knows full good and well that millions of [non-Corvette] cars produced over the last half century have been racking up billions of driven miles with copious amounts of OEM installed " glass, plastic, or rubber between the fuel pump and the carb" and nope, to our collective jaw dropping amazement, they didn't 'burn up'. Makes I might add that have a better statistical history of fewer fuel delivery related fires than vintage C3s.

JohnZ said:
There's a reason the OEM pump-to-carb system is all steel.

The world of automotive engineering does not rise and set on how vintage (and in many cases dubious) Corvette fuel delivery was done once upon a time. Yes that is 'a' solution. But no, with all due respect, is it by any stretch of the imagination 'the' method or the only 'safe' method to avoid fuel delivery related fires.

You know...the only fuel fire I recall ever having

was when SOME moron (who shall remain unidentified to avoid embarassing me) took the top of an AFB and carefully laid it square on the alternator stud...

:ugh :cry :W

Oddly we got it out pretty quickly and didn't totally trash the carb!

I've had pieces of fuel line between the pump and the carb on pretty much every car I've ever owned and never lost one. I know the steel (or at least aluminum) line is better, but I've never had a significant leak once installed either, except from the fuel filter itself.

pgtr said:

Any automotive engineer w/ a good breadth of practical experience knows full good and well that millions of [non-Corvette] cars produced over the last half century have been racking up billions of driven miles with copious amounts of OEM installed " glass, plastic, or rubber between the fuel pump and the carb" and nope, to our collective jaw dropping amazement, they didn't 'burn up'. Makes I might add that have a better statistical history of fewer fuel delivery related fires than vintage C3s.

The world of automotive engineering does not rise and set on how vintage (and in many cases dubious) Corvette fuel delivery was done once upon a time. Yes that is 'a' solution. But no, with all due respect, is it by any stretch of the imagination 'the' method or the only 'safe' method to avoid fuel delivery related fires.

Actually, as related to these forums the "..the world of automotive engineering..." does rise and set with all things vintage vette, fuel delivery among them. As the world of automotive engineering marches on, the majority of the people on this site just share their real world solutions to common problems related to a shared interest. I find, overall, that dogma and attitude are left for the edge. My suggestion is, stated for the record as one of a myriad of possible solutions to your problem, switch to decaf and relax.

youwish2bme said:
For a couple of bucks you can make your own hardline from the pump to the carb...

Nice. Where did you plumb in the filter?

I been running glass filters and rubber hose on carb's for decades, never a minit worth of trouble, and maybe one accident at 40 mph, not an issue....what can I say???

just have to keep an eye on it, like anything else, say brakes, oil, coolent...whatever....

GENE

pgtr said:

Well, even if you're not knowledgeable, at least you're consistent; you rambled through the same silly diatribe the last time this subject came up and you puffed yourself up as the most experienced fuel system expert on the planet, and you're still as full of crap as a Christmas goose, just like you were last time.
:eyerole ;LOL

car on fire

Well, it wasn't a Corvette, but it was my pride and joy 55 Chevy with 3 dueces, moon fuel log and those "really pretty" red plastic fuel lines from fuel log to carbs.

Car flooded, then backfired, caught fire, burnt through pretty red plastic lines, MAJOR FIRE!!! Luckily the car was parked directly across from a fire station. New hood required and lots of clean-up. I think I'll stick to metal lines and filters.
Ol Blue

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom