Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

glovebox

johnohio

Corvette
2008 crystal red convertible
Went to open my glovebox today on my 2008 convertible and it broke into pieces! The handle and lock just fell right out! Has anybody had any trouble with theirs and how much was it to fix? Very cheap setup indeed!

There are a lot of people with this problem. Being gentle when closing it does not guarantee that the latch will survive.

Cashmere seems to be the weakest. Ebony appears to be stronger... that is, break less frequently.

Some people buy an ebony replacement and have it painted to match their interior if it clashes.

The glove box handle on my '08 came off in my hands the first year I had the car.
We never had any problems with the '06 glove box handle.
Btw, the '08 handle is gray and the '06 handle was cashmere.

In my case, I found a small open end wrench that I could pull the latch with and that opened the glove box until I could get the handle replaced.

I was lucky there also as I was loading the Vette for a trip to the NCM. When I got there, I checked with Adam Boca of the NCM and he gave me a number of a guy at the plant - memory fails right now. I called the guy and he had another man from the plant met me at the tourist entrance. When I showed him the pieces, he went back inside the plant and got the parts I needed and replaced them just outside the tunnel. Have not had a problem since.

My guess is that some of the '08 handles were over hardened in production and therefore brittle. Lucky for me, the NCM and Plant came to my assistance and fixed it on the spot there.

glovebox latch

Thanks for the replys! Can't believe that Chevrolet would put something this cheap on the corvette! Would think they would fix it for free to avoid bad publicity!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom