Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM 502 EFI Ram Jet Engine in a C3

L

lnirenberg

A year removed from C3 ownership and I am itching to get back. Don't get me wrong, the ZR1 is an amazing car and a bargain at its current market value and a total gas to drive, but I think it needs a stable mate. I have always wanted to do a resto-rod chrome bumper big block shark. Has anyone ever tried to shoehorn the above referenced engine in a C3. I am concerned about clearance issues regarding the relatively high rise manifold and wonder whether it would clear a stock L-88 hood. Any help?

MVC-796F.JPG

Wow, more pics and info please.

The installation is pretty straight forward, biggest challenge is the hood. The L-88 hood is about 1.5" too low. I had to raise the center section of an old Eckler hood to accomodate the RamJet intake.

PIC00059%20(Small).JPG

MVC-628F.JPG

MVC-800F.JPG

That's a terrific looking machine. Love the color.

I agree! What kind and size rear tires and what tranie to keep that torque monster on the ground?

I have the Tremec 5-speed TKO 500 behind RamJet. With the 3:08 rear end, that gives me a pretty healthy 4.00 equivalent first gear. In 5th gear OD, I am tooling down the highway at ~75mph at 2k rpm. Helps with the old mpg. The tires are Falken 245x45zr17's which in no way keep it hooked up, but does provide a good fuse to protect the stock rear drive train. I have also installed the Steeroids rack and pinion setup and an aluminum radiator with the dual Spal fan kit. All in all, I am pretty satisfied, Its a hell of a "ooh... ahh" Steak & Shake head turner and still very driveable. I did it to silence the Z06 crowd only to have Chevy come out with the LS7. If I know whats good for me, I better just keep it cruisin and let them wonder what it could do, or I'll be back in the garage making all kinds of mods.

Did you have to make any mods for that tremec to fit in the tunnel? How about the driveshaft, had to be shortened? :)
And your wheels, TT2's, 17x8? Looks like they found a nice home.
Thanks,
Awesome car!

Bullshark,

I've seen your car in person, and it’s one of the nicest C3 I have had the privilege to view.

Is one of the pix from the McNare park car show?

I some times go to chuck-a-burger, but I haven't seen your car there.

Thats Cool, I'll bet its a blast to drive. What color is it I really like that shade.

Bullshark,

That is one of the best looking resto-mod I have seen on a chrome bumper C3. I doubt that any of our beloved and die-hard NCRS members would flinch nor look away from your C3.

Inirenberg,

thanks for sharing your vision with us. That is the sweetest engine combo I have seen on a C3 to date. Wish you good luck and favorable winds on your project, and please do keep us updated in progress. :upthumbs

GerryLP:cool

OUTSTANDING car!!:_rock

Absolutely!!!

SUH-WEEEEET!! That is a very nice ride. GREAT job. That is one beautiful machine, and I bet is one heck of a blast to run. Well done. :upthumbs

And-yes-what is the color and who does it?

Rick
:gap

That is very cool. I can hear bossvette's gears in his head turning from here. Could there be a big block in his '68's future?

Tom

That is very cool. I can hear bossvette's gears in his head turning from here. Could there be a big block in his '68's future?

Tom

you know me too well, maybe not the first time out but the thought has crossed my mind

I have the Tremec 5-speed TKO 500 behind RamJet. With the 3:08 rear end, that gives me a pretty healthy 4.00 equivalent first gear. In 5th gear OD, I am tooling down the highway at ~75mph at 2k rpm. Helps with the old mpg. The tires are Falken 245x45zr17's which in no way keep it hooked up, but does provide a good fuse to protect the stock rear drive train. I have also installed the Steeroids rack and pinion setup and an aluminum radiator with the dual Spal fan kit. All in all, I am pretty satisfied, Its a hell of a "ooh... ahh" Steak & Shake head turner and still very driveable. I did it to silence the Z06 crowd only to have Chevy come out with the LS7. If I know whats good for me, I better just keep it cruisin and let them wonder what it could do, or I'll be back in the garage making all kinds of mods.

I forgot to ask the most important question of all--is it for sale?

Thanks Guys, for all the complements. Makes all the hard work & $$ seem worth it.:beer

Did you have to make any mods for that tremec to fit in the tunnel? How about the driveshaft, had to be shortened? :)

Ed, I purchased the Keisler kit which fits with no tunnel mods. It comes with the shortened driveshaft, yoke, mounting brackets, etc. I did choose to make the center section of my crossmember removable so I could use a McLeod scatter shield and make for easier clutch replacement in the future. If you opt to use the stock bellhousing, cutting the crossmember is not necessary, but I personally think it is the best way to go.

MVC-618F.JPG

Is one of the pix from the McNare park car show?

I some times go to chuck-a-burger, but I haven't seen your car there.

Gary, Yes, very good:upthumbs You must have been there??

I have been to a Chuck a Burger Cruise-in but not many. Weekends are crazy in the summer

What color is it I really like that shade.

The color is the 89 thru 95 Corvette Dark Red Metallic PPG code 4177

I forgot to ask the most important question of all--is it for sale?

Sorry Inirenberg,:( I have owned this car since 1971 and have left strict instructions for my wife to bury me in it. I am sure she will probably give it to the first person that wants it for a song.:W

Bullshark

Bullshark, it looks like you have the old cast-iron stock exhaust manifolds on there.
:confused

Inirenberg, my question would be, "Why wouldn't the 502 BB fit? The cars, especially the early C3's had a BB available from the factory, so...??? Doesn't the 502 essentially still the use the exact same block & heads setup & dimensions, with only internal mods?

I too have been eyeing the 502ci for my car someday as well...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom