Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM pulls C6 Ad!

Corvette
1999 Torch Red Coupe
GM Pulls 'Jack Flash' Corvette Ad
August 25, 2004 1:08:00 PM ET

By Michael Ellis

DETROIT (Reuters) - Protests from seven safety groups prompted General Motors Corp. (GM) to pull a television ad that shows a young boy driving a Corvette sports car so recklessly that it goes airborne, officials of the automaker said on Wednesday.

The ad, featuring the Rolling Stones song ``Jumpin' Jack Flash,'' has aired repeatedly during the Olympics. The groups, including Consumers Union and the Center for Auto Safety, complained that it was ``the most dangerous'' spot they have seen in recent years.

Directed by singer Madonna's husband Guy Ritchie, the spot shows a boy's daydream of racing the Corvette through downtown streets and through a construction pipe. The safety groups said in a letter to GM released on Wednesday that the spot could encourage children to take their parents' cars for a drive.

``This ad is certainly among the most dangerous, anti-safety messages to be aired on national television in recent years,'' the safety groups said in a joint letter sent to GM Chairman and Chief Executive Rick Wagoner. ``It is doubtful that General Motors would condone the beer industry showing a ``dream sequence'' of 10-year-old children having an after-school ``kegger,'''' the letter said.

The ad does include a warning that drivers should operate the vehicle safely and must have a license, but the automaker decided to stop airing the spot, GM spokesman Joe Jacuzzi said on Wednesday.

``We decided to pull it due to responses and feedback we received,'' Jacuzzi said. ``It's a big ad, and it's been airing for a while, but we've got a whole campaign.''

The Corvette ad is one of many spots GM prepared for the Summer Olympics. GM is the largest television advertiser during the Summer Games, spending 10 times more during the Aug. 13-29 Olympics than it typically spends during a comparable period.

The seven groups who signed the letter include Consumers Union, Public Citizen, Center for Auto Safety, Consumer Federation of America and Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety.

Groups have also protested controversial ads or marketing campaigns from other automakers in recent years.

Ford Motor Co. (F) was targeted when an ad showing a cat poking its head through the sunroof of the SportKa, only to be decapitated when the roof closes, found its way onto the Internet. But that spot, which Ford said it never authorized and never aired, is still shown on the Internet, where it has created a buzz.

Chrysler (DCX) pulled its sponsorship of the ``Lingerie Bowl,'' which featured models in scanty outfits playing football and aired during halftime of the Super Bowl in February. © 2004 Reuters

anyone have a copy?

anyone have a mpeg copy of the commercial...i would like to see it thanks...D

Wow

And I guess the comercial showing the cobalt bump the vette will be protested also. Seems this type of aggressive driving could "make" people rearend vette's for the fun of it! And the vette doing a 180 in the middle of the street! Now that is disturbing...

Ron
:eyerole :L :nono

1200421Picture5184.jpg

We wouldn,t have so many people sticking their noses into things like that if only parents would take responsiblity in raising and teaching their children! I guess it is easier to expect teachers,police,etc to raise them for the parents!

how dumb! Does everyone here try to recreate everything they see on TV these days?

Boy, don't know how I survived growing up with no child safety seat in my car, no air bags, BB Gun wars with the neighborhood kids, catching stuff on fire, climbing trees, swimming in a snake and alligator infested bayou, shooting fireworks unsupervised(not to mention the bottle rocket wars we had the next few years), finding Dad's stack of Playboys from the 60s and 70s, sneaking over to a friend's house to watch KISS on Mtv back when you had to pay for it, and lets not forget that my house was NEVER childproofed. (and yes, I stuck a bobbypin in a wall outlet... once)

What a crock - pulling an ad like that.

I have always tried to teach my kids, The correct Thing To Do, but when they are with their peers , anything can happen.
If you will note, Most ads state," Done with a professional Driver" !!!!!!!

Give me a break. This country needs to not be so obsessed with protecting people from themselves.

Cheers to the comments by Rain and Silver 77!

POLITICALLY CORRECT, POLITICALLY CORRECT. Everyone is so darn sensitive. It's getting to the point you have to sensor yourself for creativity. I thought the ad was creative and humorous. All these a*^$^&hole groups need a life. A child that is properly taught and guided would know better. I guess they are afraid lawyers will use this ad as a reason for insanity..............

Are people who agree with those groups @#&holes as well? Im a lawyer and I agree with pulling the ad so I guess I lose on both counts right?

I think it's idiotic to pull the ad. I thought it was well done and funny. It certainly would not be beyond the realm of possibility to see GM getting sued if a kid took a car for a joyride and the parents blamed this commercial. Just go to www.overlawyered.com to get a feel for some of the lawsuits that have been filed for the most idiotic things. In the end, we all lose. :(

I'm with Rain on this. People need to find something better to do with their time. This was one of the commercials I actually enjoyed. If they are so worried about how this will influence our children then they should take the sex and violence off the TV and movies also. I'm embarassed watching some movies with my kids and they are 25 and 27!

I watched the Three Stooges religiously and I knew enough not to poke somebody in the eye. Some people just don't get it.

Baldie 88

This is so crazy. The ad was great! "Official car of your dreams.' How could people think that this would cause little kids to go driving and to JUMP it through the air. As a kid, I watched the Dukes of Hazzard jump their car on every episode...do I grow up doing the same in my car...NO.

The control freaks and naysayers in politics today are a very confused bunch.

This was a GREAT commercial. I liked it, my wife liked it, and my kids loved it. I have a 5 year old son, and I'm pretty sure he identified with that add. And to my surprize, my 12 year old daughter read the disclaimer "This is a child's dream, do not drive without a license" out loud, followed by - "well, duh! You can't drive a car upside down, or fly through the air. How stupid do they think we are?"

The only things worse than the groups (and government) that think they have to protect us from ourselves are the inevitable lawsuits and jury awards that will no likely result from the first kid that injures or kills themselves driving their parent's new C6, with the legal argument - he saw it on TV, so it's GM's fault!

once again...the vocal minority wins out over the sensible majority. where and when will it end. personally, i thought the commercial was brilliant.

Something to consider. GM was paying lots of money to have this ad run on TV.
Now that it has been pulled, they aren't spending any more on that ad.
BUT,

With the negative press its generated it is getting mentioned in newspapers and radio talk shows each day, internet web forums are still ablaze with it, and anyone who hosts the commercial online has a constant stream of visitors downloading it.

There is lots of method to the madness - its paying off big time for GM.

(Remember, this ad was shot by Madonna's husband.. and she is the queen of making $ from contraversial press) I call it manipulating the media in my industry.

Rain(taking the good with the bad, just as long as its out there to be taken)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom