Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM Press Release: GM teases details of new Corvette, unveils logo

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Next-generation Corvette to Debut 1.13.13 in Detroit

New Crossed Flags logo illustrates the character of the all-new, "C7" Corvette

2012-10-18

attachment.php

BRASELTON, Ga. – Chevrolet today confirmed the seventh-generation Corvette will debut on Sunday evening, Jan. 13, 2013, in Detroit. To start the countdown to 1.13.13, Chevrolet is showing the new Crossed Flags logo for the new 2014 Corvette.

“The all-new, seventh-generation Corvette deserved an all-new emblem,” said Ed Welburn, GM vice president of global design. “The new Crossed Flags design reflects the character of the next Corvette. The flags are much more modern, more technical, and more detailed than before – underscoring the comprehensive redesign of the entire car.”

The new Crossed Flags logo was unveiled at Road Atlanta, where Corvette Racing celebrated a sweep of the 2012 production-based American Le Mans Series GT championships.

Chevrolet secured the manufacturer’s championship; Corvette Racing secured the team championship, and Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner captured the drivers’ championship with four wins in the nine races preceding Petit Le Mans, the 2012 ALMS season finale.

These championships make Corvette Racing the most successful team in ALMS history, with a total of 77 class wins, eight drivers’ championships, and nine manufacturer and team championships since 2001. The team has also taken seven class victories in the 24 Hours of Le Mans since 2001. Corvette Racing will campaign the C6.R for the 2013 ALMS season. The C7.R is expected to make its racing debut in 2014.

“Winning the ALMS championships with the Corvette C6.R, against prestigious competitors from Ferrari, Porsche, and BMW is the perfect send-off for the sixth-generation Corvette,” said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer.

“The seventh-generation Corvette will build on that success,” Juechter continued. “With the new Corvette, we set out to build a world-challenging sports car with design, refinement, efficiency and driver engagement that is second to none. The result is a truly all-new Corvette. There are only two carryover parts from the C6 used in the C7 – the cabin air filter and the rear latch for the removable roof panel.”

The Crossed Flags logo has been a hallmark of the Corvette since its 1953 introduction. It has always incorporated a pair of flags, one a racing checkered flag and other featuring the Chevrolet “bowtie” emblem and a French fleur-de-lis. The design has evolved over the years, and has been featured on more than 1.5 million Corvettes built between 1953 and today.

For the seventh-generation Corvette, the Crossed Flags design is a more technical, more angular and more swept appearance – in proportion that symbolizes the new car. It is also a more detailed representation, showing greater depth, color and attention to detail.

More than 100 variations were considered before the final design was selected.

The new Crossed Flags design will be featured on the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette, which will debut for credential media on Sunday, Jan 13, 2013 in Detroit. Chevrolet will offer a limited number of tickets for Corvette enthusiasts, with proceeds benefiting the National Corvette Museum, in Bowling Green, Ky. Interested parties can contact Roc Linkov (roc@corvettemuseum.com) for more details.

Over coming weeks, more information and video content about the seventh-generation Corvette will be unlocked on www.one13thirteen.com. Enthusiasts can join the conversation about the next-generation Corvette, as well as keep track of new announcements on Facebook (facebook.com/corvette) and Twitter @Chevrolet(#Corvette). Fans that follow the #one13thirteen hashtag on Twitter can look forward to exclusive updates.

FAST FACT: The first Corvette debuted as a concept car on Jan. 17, 1953 at the GM Motorama in New York City. That car originally featured an emblem with a checkered flag crossed with an American flag. Because use of the American flag was prohibited as part of a commercial property, the logo was changed to the fleur-de-lis/bowtie design when the Corvette went into production in June 1953.

Editors’ Note: High-resolution images of the new Crossed Flags emblem, and video of Crossed Flags evolution are available at http://media.chevrolet.com/media.

Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.

# # #

Attachments

• c7_logo.jpg
    c7_logo.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 802
I like the new logo

:thumb

Thanks for posting :thumb

There was a blurb in Motor Trend? a while back, that just the base Vette would be out first, with Grand Sport a year later, and Z06, later still.

Do you know any more about that?

The new Corvette will have just two parts from the sixth-generation Vette — a cabin air filter and the rear latch for the roof panel, which is removable
I find this statement to be somewhat misleading. Short of the little things like screws & whatnot, I find it exceptionally difficult to believe there won't be compatible parts. None of the following will be compatible / carried over???
  • rotors, calipers, tires?
  • zero parts of the suspension?
  • interior accents / door handles / radio / shift boots / seat belts?
  • engine components?
Or is the statement only meant to apply to interior/cabin pieces?
Of the interior, I'm most excited to see what the production seats are going to look like and how we they'll actually function. For as many years as I can recall reading the industry rags like Car & Driver, MotorTrend, etc...I could always count on the seats being mentioned. That and general 'interior quality' as being the standard GM cheap plastic, dull, gray interiors. I know for a fact that I've posted here on the past something along the lines of, "Really, if all the supertuners like Callaway can spend money installing an interior worthy of a $100K car, why can't GM do it?" When production numbers are so low, relative to that of the late 70's and 80's, how much would it really hurt the bottom line to spend some time & money on interior detail work???

Edgey. Hopefully it won't be as big as GM's other logos, ala Camaro and Cadillac.

The crossed flags look good. I will probably wait until the second year of production. I waited until the 2013 model year to get the Camaro ZL1. Had it 2 weeks now. Scary fast. I will wait for the 2015 C7. They always save the ZO6 until the second year. I will buy one then.

New Logo

Looks good, but I have to admit the first thing that came to mind was "Pontiac Aztec" The angular design looks like it came off of a first year CAD student's computer. But, I will confess, I think the C6 is too angular for my tastes. I much prefer the smoother flowing lines of the C5. But that's just me.

I do however have faith in the Corvette design team to come up with a new gen that will rival all others. I hope the "Aztec(ish)" emblem is not a sign of what's to come in body style. C7 Stealth Bomber? No thanks.

Thanks for posting :thumb

There was a blurb in Motor Trend? a while back, that just the base Vette would be out first, with Grand Sport a year later, and Z06, later still.

Do you know any more about that?
Chances are, that is correct. The base Vette will be out first, with other models based upon the base model to appear afterwards.

The crossed flags look good. I will probably wait until the second year of production. I waited until the 2013 model year to get the Camaro ZL1. Had it 2 weeks now. Scary fast. I will wait for the 2015 C7. They always save the ZO6 until the second year. I will buy one then.

I saw my first ZL1 Camaro - an orange metallic one at Corvettes at Carlisle. I have to say: if stealing cars were legal - I would have been long gone with that one.

I've always admired the new Camaro design...I just always hated the big, bulky look of them. However, the additional design accents of the ZL1 - make it irresistible in my eyes. :thumb

Looks good, but I have to admit the first thing that came to mind was "Pontiac Aztec" <snip> </snip>
Let us all pray that GM NEVER....NEVER again gives birth to another styling abortion like the Aztec. :chuckle

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom