Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: GM's Henderson: Corvette's future is secure

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
GM's Henderson: Corvette's future is secure

By DALE JEWETT
AutoWeek Magazine

Watch the video: VetteTube - Corvette Videos, Corvette Crashes, Corvette Burnouts, Corvette Racing

The future of the Chevrolet Corvette is secure, General Motors CEO Fritz Henderson says, even has GM dramatically slashes its size and costs.

In an exclusive interview with AutoWeek, Henderson says that not only is the Corvette's current platform undergoing continual development, but the future seventh-generation car, dubbed C7, is also on track.

He would not specify when the C7 Vette would hit showrooms.

Henderson was bullish on Corvette. Not only is he a Corvette enthusiast who drives one, he knows that it contributes to the company's bottom line.

According to GM's top man, "Corvette pays its rent."

The current sixth-generation C6 Corvette has been in production since 2005. The C6 platform used major components from the C5 fifth-generation Corvette, but with substantial upgrades.

AutoWeek reported in October that work on the C7 Vette had been put on an indefinite hold as GM scrambled to cut costs. The talk then was that the C6 platform could be as old as 12 years before the C7 was ready to go.

Nice article.

Thanks for posting.

I am happy to hear the C7 will happen someday. I figured it would either by GM or by whomever took over the BG plant...

The C6 platform used major components from the C5 fifth-generation Corvette, but with substantial upgrades.
That's an interesting statement because I thought when the C6 was being discussed in pre- and post-production, one of the points made was that it's almost entirely new with not much being carried over from the C5? :confused

This is Good and Reassuring News!!!

This is quite different from the early Corvette days of the late fifties and early sixties. Recently, I inspected the new Camaro - so far so good too!

Now if Chevrolet would just finally bring out the "Retro" Nomad that was shown several years ago (and include as optional many of the performance and handling features of the Corvette) Chevrolet and parent GM would surely re-establish itself as a true world leader in the very competitive automobile business.

Best wishes,

Don Cordier

The Vette is as safe as the rest of GM. That's what worries me.:D

This is quite different from the early Corvette days of the late fifties and early sixties. Recently, I inspected the new Camaro - so far so good too!

Now if Chevrolet would just finally bring out the "Retro" Nomad that was shown several years ago (and include as optional many of the performance and handling features of the Corvette) Chevrolet and parent GM would surely re-establish itself as a true world leader in the very competitive automobile business.

Best wishes,

Don Cordier

GM needs to focus it's engineering and manufacturing resources to development of vehicles for the future.

No car company can sell enough niche "retro" styled vehicles to be profitable because its simply too small a market.

I saw a new Camaro that was in the local dealer's driveway for less than a day. Reminded me of the VW/Porsche 914, better-looking in person than in photographs, but still not very pretty.

did I miss it?

I didn't hear him say that the C7 was not on hold. All I heard him say was that they are continuing to improve upon the present C6 and make it better.

Did I miss something, or are others reading something else into it?

He did say that at one time they had plans for a C7 that would have been a big leap forward, but that now they are just continuing to make the C6 better a little at a time.

Where does he say that the C7 project is still alive and moving forward?

Jim S.

I agree that the future of the Corvette is only as healthy as the future of GM, and that is not necessarily a strong future!

I am not buying it. Did they the know (or admit) that they would shut down production for most of the summer?? Unless they make the vette a "Super Green Machine" rather than a "Super Car" IMHO this adminsistration will be more than happy to see that it is cut. It might be better to go out on top rather than becoming an enviro-weenie mobile :puke!!! Sorry to be negitve but that is reality!!;shrug

:hijack
How's the Dodge Magnum doing these days? GM seems to take a "wait and see" approach with copying Dodge.
PT Cruiser -> HHR
Charger -> Camaro
Magnum -> Nomad

The only reverse to that was the Pontiac Vibe -> Dodge Caliber

GM needs to focus it's engineering and manufacturing resources to development of vehicles for the future.

No car company can't possibly sell enough niche "retro" styled vehicles to be profitable because its simply too small a market.

Howdy,

Thanks for your comment, however, I believe you meant to say that "No car company can possibly sell enough...".

You are correct but it certainly helps and will generate excitement and thus interest in the other profitable and wide variety of offerings by the company. Also, having a "special interest vehicle" that seats four or more helps many individuals to justify the purchase of a new vehcile in which to transport the family, friends and/or in which to commute to and from work or business.

Regards,

Don Cordier

Hmmm...???

I saw a new Camaro that was in the local dealer's driveway for less than a day. Reminded me of the VW/Porsche 914, better-looking in person than in photographs, but still not very pretty.

Thank you for your comment.

Hmmm...??? I have owned three Porsche 914's and the new Camaro does not even come close to resembling these cars! Perhaps you meant only in comparing actually seeing the vehicle versus seeing the images?

In my opinion the new Camaro looks VERY GOOD in images and GREAT in person. In addition, it is a much larger vehicle in line with all previous Camaros. Of course, the Corvette is the best looking regardless of other competitors!!!

Regards,

Don Cordier

The Vette is as safe as the rest of GM. That's what worries me.:D

Agreed!!

I don't believe for a minute that he would share the plans of closing down the Corvette, even if he did know himself.

He needs to say what he thinks will be good for GM and coming out in an interview that the Corvette future is not certain is not in the best interest of GM.

I hope 'Fritz' is right, but I imagine that GM will build what Osama.........err Obama's group dictates. They do not strike me as sports car type guys but rather Green, Electric and Money folks!

Good news. Now they should build one that looks like the C1 and rides and runs like the C6. Small and hot.

Howdy,

Thanks for your comment, however, I believe you meant to say that "No car company can possibly sell enough...".

You are correct but it certainly helps and will generate excitement and thus interest in the other profitable and wide variety of offerings by the company. Also, having a "special interest vehicle" that seats four or more helps many individuals to justify the purchase of a new vehcile in which to transport the family, friends and/or in which to commute to and from work or business.

Regards,

Don Cordier

Yes, I stand corrected.

Turning GM is like turning a huge ocean liner. It takes time and space.

With regards to the next generation Corvette, their may only be a few engineers working on it at the moment. Probably just a few designers since the I doubt they are looking to do a clean sheet of paper mechanical redesign like they did when they went from the C4 to the C5. My guess, it will be similar to the C5 to C6 change.

When a car company starts getting into new tooling, fixtures, versions,and pre-production testing, that's requires serious investment (i.e. big bucks).

They may be just updating the interior with fresh looking seats, console, dash, knobs, switches, front bumper, rear bumper and side scoop. These may not be a major cost in the overall picture but make the car appear fresher.

Good news. Now they shouls build one that looks like the C1 and rides and runs like the C6. Small and hot.
There's already aftermarket companies that will use a C5 chassis to look like a '53. I doubt Chevy would touch that small niche market.

They may be just updating the interior with fresh looking seats, console, dash, knobs, switches,
Ya know, that's been one of the biggest complaints by reviewers worldwide..."Cheap interior pieces". Seriously, if Chevy can spend millions developing the C6 ZR-1, why can't they put a few bucks into making an interior that's at least somewhat comparable to the european models in which it competes against? "Oh look, more GM gray plastic and pleather interior trim. How nice!" :eyerole Take a cue from Callaway, just ditch the mostly god-awful pastel colors he/they choose.
If GM made a interior worthy of a $100K car, the critics would have nothing else to complain about! And it's not like this is a new complaint...

I hate to pee in anyones Wheaties but any time the government gets involved things can change quite rapidly. I think Corvette is in as much danager as the whole of GM. If GM sinks it is going to take Corvette down with it. I think ole Fritz is just being P.C. Remember he works for the government now.

I hope 'Fritz' is right, but I imagine that GM will build what Osama.........err Obama's group dictates. They do not strike me as sports car type guys but rather Green, Electric and Money folks!

Yep, you hit the nail squarely on the head, Peace,,, Moosie :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom