Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM's V8 Production Down by Half - Should Next Gen Corvette Adopt a V6 to Keep Up with the Times?

Should The Next Gen Corvette Keep Up With The Times And Adopt A V6?

• Yes

Votes: 41 10.6%
  • No

Votes: 341 87.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 6 1.5%

• Total voters

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
A source at General Motors has told Edmunds Inside Line that GM's engine production data indicate that GM produced 500,000 fewer V8 engines in 2011 than it did five years earlier in 2006.

Source: GM's V8 Production Down by a Half-Million in Past Five Years

With the success of V6 engines such as BMW's inline-6, as well as other notable V6 engines from other automakers, should the C7 Corvette get with the times and adopt a V6 engine, or should it stick with the heavier, less fuel efficient V8?

Cast your vote above and tell us what you think!

Why not. It's about time technology played a bigger role in the Corvette's engine. Twin turbos, DFI, etc. There is a lot of potential there to leave it unused. I'm not so hung up on the number of cylinders as I am on the overall performance. Ferrari does some great things with smaller displacement V8's, BWM and Acura do some great things with 6's. Cylinder count doesn't matter so much anymore.

Why not. It's about time technology played a bigger role in the Corvette's engine. Twin turbos, DFI, etc. There is a lot of potential there to leave it unused. I'm not so hung up on the number of cylinders as I am on the overall performance. Ferrari does some great things with smaller displacement V8's, BWM and Acura do some great things with 6's. Cylinder count doesn't matter so much anymore.

I agree.

PS: Beginning 2012, BMW has moved away from the I6 for its 3-series opting instead for a lighter, more efficient but just as potent I4. The Germans aren't dumb.

If the twin-turbo V6 is double overhead cam and 4-valve per cylinder, the weight saving over an LSx style V8 might be zero or negative. Still, GM should take a long look at this option.

A slightly smaller twin-turbo V8 needs to be considered also and it can keep the 2-valve, in the block cam configuration.

With the success of V6 engines such as BMW's inline-6

First of all, by definition BMW's inline 6 is NOT a V6. All 6 cylinders are in a row.

And on top of that, while the I6 is renowned for its smooth power delivery, haven't you noticed that they moved to a V8 in the M3? That would be because even with twin turbos (as used in the 1 M and the 335i and 135i) the BMW 6 is only making 300 hp. Not only that, up until very recently the BMW I6 had an iron block and was heavier than the aluminum block LSX. And it's a LONG engine meaning a longer hood and more weight over the front wheels.

I'm not opposed to a flat/boxer with turbos as used by Porsche and Subaru. Porsche makes amazing power out of that setup, and it is compact and has a low center of gravity.

Anyway, ignoring that rather large gaffe -- IF they can maintain the power levels we see with the current LSX I'm OK with it at least in the base model Corvette but Z06 and up should still have a V8. And honestly there's probably a lot of technology that can be applied to the LSX -- cylinder deactivation, VVT, 3-4 valves per cylinder, direct injection, etc.

NO to V6

Corvette is an Icon it should never have a V6.The first Corvette was a 6 cylinder inline and leave that mistake as is for all time.

Corvette is an Icon it should never have a V6.The first Corvette was a 6 cylinder inline and leave that mistake as is for all time.

The "Blue Flame Six" was a damn truck motor of the day! Apples and oranges compared to today's lighter more efficient high-tech 6-cylinders.

V8 versus v6

I will always prefer the sound of a V8 which is half the fun of driving. I cannot imagine my Escalade,
C6 Vette or SSR's without a V8.

Hmmm...??? 53,54 & 55 Had a "6" Cylinder (I had Two) REC. W-12 or W-16...

Hmmm...??? 53,54 & 55 had a "6" Cylinder (I had Two 54's).

I would recommend that they consider a W-12 or W-16 ala the Volkswagon owned Bugatti Veyhron or one of the Volkswagon performance models that are available in Europe.

Need I say more..?

Have fun!!!

Don

We don't need no stinking V6's.......put a blower on a 5.3 if you have to, but certain things don't need messed with.......8 is great! :cool

Response via email:
Corvette needs to hire some engineers, especially in
the area of sealing the machine. The compounding that is used is subject to
rapid deterioration. My 1996 has leaked since I got it in 1997. The cost of
seals is out of sight and original GM products are no longer available. If they
were, I do not know if I would buy them as they were not up to this Alabama
sun. The LT1 engine is also a problem. Why have an engine that makes the spark
plugs virtually inaccessible? Corvette might consider a how-to-do-it online
site for older vette owners. I vote V-8 being a child of the 50's when V-8's
ruled. Next thing you know some dumb-a will be proposing an electric powered
vette.

I agree.

PS: Beginning 2012, BMW has moved away from the I6 for its 3-series opting instead for a lighter, more efficient but just as potent I4. The Germans aren't dumb.

The Germans were dumb enough to start two World Wars. :mad How much dumber can you get?

Now, as far as BMW goes, they have some hot V8's and a V12 or two. :beer

If you want any economy car, don't buy a Corvette!

Even in the gas crisis in the 70's Corvettes had V8's. We don't have a gas crisis now or even a global warming problem.

I love the sound of a V8. They sound awesome when they drive by.

No one says,"Listen to the sound of that sweet V6!"

Even in the gas crisis in the 70's Corvettes had V8's. We don't have a gas crisis now or even a global warming problem.

I love the sound of a V8. They sound awesome when they drive by.

No one says,"Listen to the sound of that sweet V6!"

How about a turbocharged DOHC 5.5L small block with intake between the cams? Exotic enough?

Chevy V8 is an icon

I'm with captna on this. The Chevy small block is an icon every bit as much as the Corvette itself. A V6 Corvette is no Corvette at all.

Hells no!:mad

I'm old school. I don't even like ohc in a vette. Keep it classic!

do not forget the basics

Corvette basics are "It is Hot, Fast, up to date and affordable"

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom