Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Going to Paint Saturday! Stripe opinions wanted!

Whiplash

Corvette
71 Kandy Burple Conv / 02 MY Z06
The car goes to paint Saturday! After 10 months of this frame off restoration she's ready for color. The color has been picked and I'm solid on the choice. It will be Candy Blue over Cosmic Stardust (silver metalic) basecoat. This is a color from DuPont but the painter is going to use House of Kolor paint so he'll cross reference. Basically it's going to be "Candy Apple Blue".

What I need help with is a decision on stripes. The car is a 71 Convertible with L88 Hood and Jet Coated Hooker sidepipes. It also has a hard top. The soft top and interior are black.

I want to do something to highlight the details on the L88 scoop. I'm concerned that the shape gets lost with a solid color. The LT1 hoods have a nice chrome strip to accent the lines but the L88 doesn't have this as a choice.

I like the Motion Performance stripes but my wife doesn't like how it finishes off on the back of the car. I'd like to paint the center portion of the scoop and continue it back over the rear and down between the tail lights, but the width of the scoop seems too wide to pull this off. I'm guessing I could taper the line to make it fit but I'm not sure how that will look.

Color choices if I do put on a stripe seem to really be limited to white or silver. I think the white doesn't work as well with the metalic in the blue. Right now I'm leaning toward the silver metalic base coat for the stripe.

Ok. So now you have the background let the opinions flow! Pictures would be even better. Here are some shots of the car now for those of you who are PaintShop experts. I've got a few weeks to go before I have to lock in the paint scheme but the sooner the better.

Thanks everyone. Here are the pics.

1971%20Corvette%20Restoration-004.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Restoration-005.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Restoration-061.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Restoration-062.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Restoration-058.jpg

1971%20Corvette%20Restoration-060.jpg

What are,

whiplash said:
Motion Performance stripes

Maybe something like I have with two different colors. Starting just from where the scoop starts to become flat on the hood and go back. The top of the scoop one color, and then along the scoop lower outer edges another color. Maybe, the top of the scoop a high gloss black and the outer lower lines, Candy Apple Red.

However I think this would look quite well;

The top of the scoop a high gloss Millineum Yellow and the outer lower lines, Candy Apple Red.

How about incorporating a stingray graphic scheme into the hood scoop shape and continuing the tail onto the trunk? I should go get my morning coffee now! :L

Mike :w

Maybe something along the lines that Andre did ? He kinda mimicked the CE striping on the hood and sides, but his is white over blue/metallic (it probably has a real name, so dont beat me up, pls Andre? :L). Look at his sig picture, it does look a lot starker there then it did in person (at CF1). I liked it, but i am partial to that.. :D

You should definitly do some photochopping, maybe see what the different options look like on top of the box, vs. the entire scoop etc etc..

:w
-Stefan

Yes, that is what I was talking about, something along the lines of the way Andre has his,

Pseudomind said:
The top of the scoop a high gloss Millineum Yellow and the outer lower lines, Candy Apple Red.

I would end it on the rear at the outer edge of the trunk/deck opening.

Another crazy idea (I gotta lay off the sugar free lemonade. :L):

What about red pinstriping around the box of the scoop? I've seen someone do that and it looked really sharp on a blue car, like the red hashmarks on the blue comm. cars.

I have always thought about painting the hood hump with a dark grey and gost checkers or some other design.

GerryLP:cool

May I suggest taking photos and copying them on a copier. Then use marker pens to sketch out a few designs. Also suggest getting on a ladder or up on the roof and get some high shots so you can incorporate the "total look".

I like the idea of pinstripe highlights around the L-88 "box". I've always liked that hood. The Baldwin-Motion style was nice, but too "fat", IMO.

And red is definitely a nice contrast to blue. :D

Rick
:gap

my 2 cents no stripe color sounds great, but if you must ghost stripes

I am with you on the Phase III Motion stripes in silver or white. I have seen a 70 with the blue and white combo and it looks awesome.

I have always thought about putting the stripe on with a contrasting base coat under the color use a gold against your silver base dont know if it will work or not but its something I have thought about trying with a candy blue on my 76

I had the long version of the L88 hood on my '78.

I went with pinstripes that complimented the lines like the ones used on LT-1 vettes. Subtle but nice. Here is the link to the picture-

http://www.geocities.com/chiphihawk/1978_TPI7.jpg

I like the pin stripe. If fact it could be the perfect compromise. It highlights the lines of the scoop without having to pass all the way to the back.

Bossvette,

Is your idea to change the basecoat from the silver to a gold where I want the stripe and then spray the blue topcoat over the whole thing? I've got some paint chips that show the blue over different bases. One is gold. The contrast would be very interesting. The stripe would end up being darker but not black. It would be almost a reverse ghost stripe. I even have a chip with more of a dark pewter base that makes it more midnight blue.

It's interesting to think about doing it that way. It's almost a shadow until you get up to the car and can see it's a different color. Thanks for this idea. I need to just print up some black and white pics of the car and get my son's markers and pretend I'm Chip Foose :L

Keep the ideas coming. The car's at paint. Final color selection can be in a couple of weeks so there's still time to pick.

Whiplash

Send the hood to the guys at KillerPaint. Here's an example:

4dgp3eo.jpg

And here's a link to some more pics... scroll down a bit... CLICK!

Woa! Now, that's cool! :_rock

4dgp3eo.jpg

Yeah these guys do amazing work. If I were to have them do the car I'd bring the whole car to him after it was blue and let him go to town with blue flames. Wish I had the cash. That's not a cheap job by any means.

Very cool Vette though.

I've tried the photocopy/black and white print. My 8 year old is better with the markers than me. I just made a mess. Plus the gray color of the car bleeds through the marker and makes it messy too.

The paint guy loved the color. I'm thinking just keeping it Candy Blue until I can afford to do something more exciting with the stripe.

I just can't wait to see some progress. It's going to be gone for 8 weeks. It's only been out of the house for 3 days and I'm a little stir crazy for lack of something to do on it.

If anyone has more pics please post them. If you're a PhotoShop expert your help with the above pics would be greatly appreciated. I just make a mess when I try to use that software.

If anyone has more pics please post them. If you're a PhotoShop expert your help with the above pics would be greatly appreciated. I just make a mess when I try to use that software.
I can give it a shot. I did some stripe work for Bob Chadwick (CAC member) when he was trying to decide on stripes or not for his '76 last year. Gimme an idea of what you are looking for and I'll see what I can do...

I can give it a shot. I did some stripe work for Bob Chadwick (CAC member) when he was trying to decide on stripes or not for his '76 last year. Gimme an idea of what you are looking for and I'll see what I can do...

Thanks. The car will be Candy Apple Blue (like anodized aluminum fittings with a candy coat and metalic flake). I was thinking of a silver metalic stripe.

The idea would be for the stripe to start with the L88 scoop and work it's way to the back of the car and down between the tail lights, unlike the motion stripe that paints the complete rear panel.

One thought is to just paint the high point of the scoop and the other thought is to paint the whole scoop and leave some blue between the lower and upper sections to act as the pin stripe between the two larger sections.

The best photos I have of the car are above but there are more here http://mysite.verizon.net/whiplash71/

Anything you can mock up would be great. I'm useless with photoshop.

Thanks,

Whiplash

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom