Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gonna Clean the engine

S

Striker 85

I want to clean all the garbage off the engine and repaint it before I start puting all the new parts on (sat for 18 years). I am looking to see what other people have had good luck with getting all the gunk off. I used Simple Green on parts of my 85 with success, but this is the complete engine I want to clean, with lots of oil build up.

Try this...

to get the worst stuff of an engine, try a good stiff parts washing type brush and a quart of transmission fluid... nothing cuts grease/thick oil like thin oil...and it give you a really good look at the rubber after blasting it off with a power sprayer. becarefull not to get it on your belts, other than that, you will be shocked at how well this works, you will need to use the brush to work at the thick stuff , but it will cut through it all...then you can go to an engine degreaser to go through the prep work.
dont forget to park over some old broken down cardboard boxes to soak up the run off.
Chas

Silly question here. Is it OK to clean the motor at all with the perception of possibly introducing the Rust Factor? I want to clean my motor as well but fearful of doing more harm then good. IE: rust, not starting, something no longer works now, etc...

I know Rick use Oven Cleaner on his firebird but I am not sure on what parts - or if it was just on the firewall and frame. Works good, smells awful.He is asleep or I would ask him. He does go through a lot of brake cleaner kind of stuff and wire/plastic brushes. Once some of the parts are cleaned of the gunk i take the bracket type stuff over to the bench grinder and clean them up on the wire wheel. Then they get painted again. Long tedious work but so rewarding.

Vette79,

I had those same apprehensions. I've only done my engine bay once, and it turned out great. I had no problems.

I used plastic trash bags to cover the distriutor, alternator and carb. I had a couple of electronic relays I was unsure of so a I wrapped them in plastic as well.

I used Simple green in a 50/50 water solution,cranked the eng. so it would warm up , sprayed everything down good, waited about 15 minuets. Used a garden hose with a spray nozzel on light spray. Used a brush for the stubborn areas.
Removed the plastic, fired the engine and took a drive.
I was surprized how well it cleaned.

I did mine in different sessions. The first sessions were to get rid of thick greasy crud. I used the cheap Advance Auto brand engine degreaser along with plastic scrapers, and various sized stiff brushes. After the heavy stuff was cleaned off, I did additional sessions applying a solution of Simple Green using a pressure wand (hooked up to an air compressor).

Between sessions, I rinsed with a power washer (using appropriate sized nozzle tip) with relatively hot water running through it. Then I used compressed air to dry everything.

Be prepared to GET WET!... especially when cleaning and rinsing the under-carriage; unless you have an auto lift, you'll also have to lay in the water!

I used POR-15 engine paint. The paint formula does not utilize cheap solvents that evaporate quickly, and contains more paint compounds than solvent - so it takes at least 24 hours to dry. The result is a nice deep tone, with a glossy and very durable finish that you'll never get with spray can paint.

Aluminum foil works great for wrapping small connectors and the sort before cleaning or painting. Just form-fit it around and squish tight.

Thanks but Global Warming

Thanks for all the ideas. Like I said, I used simple green on my 85 and it turned out great. I was going to work this weekend on it, but we have a blizzard so global warming is keeping me from the 69....Thanks AL

Careful with the Oven Cleaner -
It removes paint!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom