Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Got a race lined up in a few weeks :-)

JT ZR-Won

Corvette
'90 ZR-1 #3010
Looks like I might be heading to the track in a few weeks to duke it out with my boss:D
Hes' got a '90 with no motor work but a few bolt-ons. I heard through the grapevine at work that he wanted to race my ZR-1. He's a super cool guy who's not cocky at all so it looks like it will be fun. However, there are all kinds of side bets going on between everyone at work. He's never been in a ZR-1 before and I don't think he realizes just how quick the car really is. I know for a fact that we're going to race qrtr mile and I think thats where he thinks he's going to get me is off the line. Little does he know that I'm currently looking for BFG Drag Radials:D
So if anyone knows the best place to order a set, please let me know.......
My car is also going back on the dyno within the next couple weeks because the car is running rich. It put down 342hp to the wheels so hopefully it will put down a few more HP after I get my chip recalibrated to run leaner. I'm also putting new MSD wires and new plugs in it. I'll should be ready............and I'll have pics when the day arrives.
If I lose I will throw rocks at my car...........

Jay

Cool!

You know, if his 90 is anything like my 90, he will give you a good run. In fact, I would love to go head to head with a ZR-1 for giggles and grins. I think I could hold my own. I know it will pull on a C5 without breaking a sweat.

It would be awesome if you could get some digital video of the race.

What track are you going to? You know, if you could make it to Gainesville, I might be able to meet up with you to, and get Nikki to bring the 2000. That would be a blast! That is 1/4 mile drags there.

The key will be those drag radials. You can have all the power in the world, but if the back tires just spin you are going nowhere. That is a problem with 17" and larger rims. On regular ZR rated street tires, the sidewall is so stiff that they don't squat and bite very well. I ran the fastest times in my 85 383 stroker when I dropped back to 16" rims and old sticky BFG tires.

Keep us posted.

BTW, since he is your boss,,,,,,,,,,do you really want to beat him too bad?

69MyWay said:
You know, if his 90 is anything like my 90......

Chris, I don't think his '90 is anything like your '90 :D

The drag radials are definately the key. If I hammer my car with the GSCs it doesn't hook up till the end of 2nd or the bottom of 3rd gear. Anybody would be long gone at that point. I don't think he wants to race from a 40 punch (that's where I'd like to race from though:D....)
When I had my '85 with gears and trans work, I ran my buddies '92 ZR-1 from about 40 or 50 mph. Needless to say he left me for dead instantly.

Chris, we'll probably take it down to DeSoto Dragway in Bradenton.......if you could make it that would be a blast! I'd love to see your '90 and Nikki's C5. I'll keep you posted when we figure out an actual date that we're going. I'm thinking about 3 weeks or so.......

Oh yeah, and I want beat him that bad :D :D

Jay

90 ZR-1 against 90 ZR-1 could come down to driver and tires. Good luck, talk about splitting hairs.

vettl83 said:
90 ZR-1 against 90 ZR-1 could come down to driver and tires. Good luck, talk about splitting hairs.

Actually, the car I'm going up against is a '90 L98 car with bolt-on's......

Jay

I hope your boss won't be able to tie back his thrashing at the track to your performance review period, cuz you are going to rip the headlights out of his car!

69 What mods do you have on the 90? Is it a L 98? Michael

Fast Red Vette said:
69 What mods do you have on the 90? Is it a L 98? Michael

Go to my homepage www.mcspeed.hothomepages.com

Go to the 90 Corvette page for a full detailed list.

Ummm, I don't know if you could consider it a L98 anymore or not. It is a small block chevy, but after a different set of heads, cam, pistons, intake, throttle body, headers, etc. etc. I think it becomes something different.

Put a bottle on it !!

FrankUrbinati said:
Put a bottle on it !!

Frank,
This has definately crossed my mind. The only problem is I don't know a lot about nitrous systems.........especially running one on an LT-5. I couldn't afford to hurt the motor if I screwed something up

Jay

Jay, Kurt White (White Racing product's) just moved down to the Tampa area. He is a good friend to the ZR1 owner. You might want to check up on him.
Here's his link : www.whiteracingproducts.com/home

69MyWay said:
BTW, since he is your boss,,,,,,,,,,do you really want to beat him too bad?

That's all the inspiration for beating him even worse.:r

Well,

The wonderful brown UPS truck stopped by my place yesterday with a nice set of 315 Drag Radials. I gotta say, these things are awesome! These should definately allow me to get out of the hole a lot quicker.

Jay

Well, I knew there was something more to this race that I didn't know about. I just foiund out last night that the car is getting a Vortech Supercharger installed. Won't be betting for $$ anymore because the original bet was for motor vs. motor. We're still going to race because I'd like to see how I do against a blown L98. Who knows......maybe I'll drop a 150 shot on there and give him a surprise:D

Jay

Sounds like a grudge match in the making.

Sorry for the large size of the pic!

You mean like this.............

sm080901vettenos2-sm.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom