Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Got clicking in right rear suspension

TerryD

Corvette
1996 Collectors Edition
Hey guys/gals
Anyone know what might clicking in the right rear wheel or that general area???? She's a 1996 CE 3.07/auto and it clicks and pops when I go from Park in to O,OD,2,1. It pops and clicks when I shift it back and forth between Reverse/N/Drive. I year ago I had u-joints replace but still clicked so no that i hope??? I just changed out the rear tie rods fixed by Van Steel(they dio a great jobk very reasonably) but it still does it. Drives fine, nice and tight, and straight, great tires also so it must be rear suspension? Bushings for dogbones, trailing arms????
Clicking and popping in St Petersburg, 96Collector Edition LT-1
TerryD:confused

TerryD said:
Hey guys/gals
Anyone know what might clicking in the right rear wheel or that general area???? She's a 1996 CE 3.07/auto and it clicks and pops when I go from Park in to O,OD,2,1. It pops and clicks when I shift it back and forth between Reverse/N/Drive. I year ago I had u-joints replace but still clicked so no that i hope??? I just changed out the rear tie rods fixed by Van Steel(they dio a great jobk very reasonably) but it still does it. Drives fine, nice and tight, and straight, great tires also so it must be rear suspension? Bushings for dogbones, trailing arms????
Clicking and popping in St Petersburg, 96Collector Edition LT-1
TerryD
:confused
has 98000 miles, great shape, very clean and well maintained
not abused also

I'v had to replace alot of Rear Wheel Barings on C-4's Latley!! :upthumbs junk!!

Dry,worn or rusty splines (shaft into bearing hub) can cause a click (no clunks). Low torque on axle nut could elevate the problem.
Food fot thought :)

Thanks all, I think I'll check the splines on the bearings out next.
Terry

This was a long time ago, but I had a 63 split window coupe, and the rear started clicking. As it turned out it was the universal on the right side.

My 84 was doing the same thing right after I replaced the bearing hub assemblies. I was able to track the noise down by putting the car in park (I have an auto.) on a flat driveway. With the emergency brake off rock the car back and forth to put slight torsional stress on the drive train to reproduce the noise. Turned out to be the axle shaft splines. I reluctantly removed the axle shafts again and applied liberal amount of antiseize compound to the splines and reinstalled and that clicking and popping sound disappeared :upthumbs

Alloydude said:
My 84 was doing the same thing right after I replaced the bearing hub assemblies. I was able to track the noise down by putting the car in park (I have an auto.) on a flat driveway. With the emergency brake off rock the car back and forth to put slight torsional stress on the drive train to reproduce the noise. Turned out to be the axle shaft splines. I reluctantly removed the axle shafts again and applied liberal amount of antiseize compound to the splines and reinstalled and that clicking and popping sound disappeared :upthumbs
Alloydude,
Thanks for the advice:D Was it the splines that go into the differential or the wheel bearings(or both) that needed help? Did it take long to take all that stuff off and get it together?
Thanks for all the advice, Terry

The splines that go into the wheel bearings needed the antiseize compound. Took me about an hour and a half. Just unbolted the axle shafts at the bearing and the U joints at the differential. Also unbolted the strut rod at the spindle and the toe adjustment assembly from the differential. At this point you can push the spindle outward just enough to pull the U-joints away from the differential and slide the shaft and spline out of the wheel bearing. Just reassemble in the reverse order. Wasn’t too difficult. Just irritating having to do it all over again lol.

Sometimes the limited slip can make some clicking noises in these cars. If you have never changed the differential fluid, you may want to do that. You will also need a bottle of limited slip additive from Mr. Goodwrench to lube the clutches.

Brett

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom