Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Got my cluster finished tonight

John Mcgraw

Corvette
1960 Roman red, 1959 resto-rod, 1965 resto-rod
I finally put the finishing touches on my instrument cluster for the 65 project.
I spent many hours trying to use the original cluster, but no matter what I did, it looked like the gauges were just stuffed in by a shade-tree mechanic.

I took a piece of 3/8" aluminum plate, welded a bottom flange on, milled out the gauge, column and switch holes, and finished the whole thing in a nice satin black finish. The Autometer gauges look real good and the glare in the picture really does not do them justice. I used a set of 67 switches and knobs to get the look I wanted, and the bezels around the switches and lighter are from a 61-62 Corvette. The bottom flange is also 3/8" thick, so there is plenty of meat to put threads in it to mount the hood release and vent cable handles. The column is a nice Flaming River tilt column that is mirror finished stainless, and should look real nice against the instrument panel. I thought about sending the panel out to the engraving shop to have the lettering replicated over the switches, but I figured I had invested enough money and time in the panel! The neat little oval shaped display at the top of the cluster has the turn signal indicators, high beam indicator, check engine light from the PCM, and a gear position indicator incoprorated in it. It is from Dakota Digital, and is a neat little display.

By going to a new panel instead of the original, I was able to step up to 2 5/8 gauges for the small gauges instead of the standard 2 1/16" ones. I have a friend in the graphics business, that is going to reface the clock so it looks like the Autometer gauges, and I am putting a quartz movement in it.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...V-P0001675.jpg

Regards, John McGraw

Man that Looks Killer, John!!!!! You never cease to amaze me!!!!:upthumbs :cool

Details
Details
Details

thats what makes a car so special , You do real good on the small details

That cluster seams alittle easer to make then the other one you made

Email me your phone number I want to talk

John,

The cluster looks super and is a great way to convert to new gauges. Great job in integrating the Dakota Digital indicator panel. Looks like it's always belonged there. :upthumbs

Rich Lagasse

sweet........you know, there is a house down the street from me that is for sale.....you could move there and I would be glad to come down and help......let me know if I should schedule some moving trucks for you.....

I'm curious about how you are getting the clock face done, I bought a set of custom gages to put in my 68 from speed-hut and want to do the clock to match.
They say they are working on a clock, but its 2 or 3 months away.

What kind of gearing do you have on that bench? 75 mph at 1500 rpm is pretty impressive :D.
Beautiful work! But then again, you raise the bar unreasonably high for the rest of us...
Cheers,
Jeff

WOW!

Nice job!

Gives me ideas if she'll ever let me get that '68 vette wagon;squint:

I'm curious about how you are getting the clock face done, I bought a set of custom gages to put in my 68 from speed-hut and want to do the clock to match.
They say they are workig on a clock, but its 2 or 3 months away.

I have a good friend who is in the architectural graphics business, and he is going to replicate the look of the UltraLite gage faces on the original C2 clock face. Since it is a freebee, I am sure that I will have to wait a few weeks for it, by=ut that is fine!

Regards, John McGraw

What kind of gearing do you have on that bench? 75 mph at 1500 rpm is pretty impressive :D.
Beautiful work! But then again, you raise the bar unreasonably high for the rest of us...
Cheers,
Jeff

Jeff,

Just like my car, the bench has a overdrive transmission!:L

John
How do you like the Flaming River column?
do you also have their rack and Pinion steering?
They are just getting into stuff for Corvettes but I have seen their stuff in Street Rodder all the time. I'm planning on updating my 68 to VB&P suspension and was considering Flaming River for the steering.
Thanks
Craig sr.

Craig,

The Flaming river column is very nice. I am very pleased with it. I am using a C4 rack and pinion. I have never used one of their R&P units, but the streetrod guys really like them.

Regards, John McGraw

Really nice John, you did a fantastic job! Nice when the hard work and extra effort pay off when a finished piece turns out so good isn't it? I'm sure many will be contacting you for advice when they do theirs. Like Larry said the detail work really stands out especially when it's done so well. The talent in this CAC family is truly incredible!
Congrats
:beer
Doug

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom