Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Greetings from Indiana

ken90004

Corvette
1999 Convertible-blue on tan
Thanks for allowing me to join. I'm looking for information to help make a decision if it is my time to be a Corvette owner. I've always loved the looks of them as a kid, and now my last kids left the house, I don't have any reason why not to buy one. Other than it is a rather expensive toy. I have my eye on a C5 convertible. A 1999 blue on tan to be specific. Clean with 80k for $17k. A weekend cruiser for my wife and I. My wife thinks we should wait and bank the cash, and go for a C6 in a few years. Maybe a 2008 with a third of the miles much more features

Any thoughts, opinion, advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks for allowing me to join. I'm looking for information to help make a decision if it is my time to be a Corvette owner. I've always loved the looks of them as a kid, and now my last kids left the house, I don't have any reason why not to buy one. Other than it is a rather expensive toy. I have my eye on a C5 convertible. A 1999 blue on tan to be specific. Clean with 80k for $17k. A weekend cruiser for my wife and I. My wife thinks we should wait and bank the cash, and go for a C6 in a few years. Maybe a 2008 with a third of the miles much more features

I've got a 2004 Z06/Z16 you might be interested in... turned over 20K on Saturday! Absolutely mint!! :happyanim:

Welcome to Corvette Action Center for

I think the C-5 has the best body lines of all but I may be just a little partial ;) But what I say to each their own! B I do want to say welcome aboard, glad you've joined us :happyanim:

-Bill

Welcome to CAC!!!
enjoy!!

Howdy and Welcome to the group :w. I drive a C5 myself and I think that generation is still the best value for the money. I would go for the '99 now and enjoy it. You can always upgrade to a C6 later if you feel the need. Good luck with your future purchase.

Welcome to the :CAC

It's always a good time to own a Vette.

A C5 is your best investment. Period.

Welcome Ken. I'm a newbie here and very impressed with the CAC. You'll find that it distinguishes itself from so many other forums in that it is information/help driven. So many other forums are nothing but pen pal sites. Spending your precious time here will reap huge benefits.

On the choice of generation -- the facts, not emotion indicate that at this time, it is a buyer's market for the C5. If you have time to look at a couple of my posts, you'll see I'm a '04 Z06 owner, my second C5 (first was a 1997 and I was mobbed everywhere I went), and the best decision I could have made. I track the Z06 and use it regularly as a DD (Daily Driver). I believe that the C5, particularly the '02 to '04 is a little secret and eventually, the market will wake up and they will appreciate like crazy. Subscribe to CarGurus, if you haven't already, and you will receive notification emails that reflect all the features you have restricted it to search for, at least twice a week, every week. This will give you a very informed understanding of the market, and can guide your search and final negotiations.

From a purely emotional stand point, I'm with Bill (Hoosierdaddy), Z16, and Big Jim -- the C5 is simply THE most beautiful car made besides a Jaguar XKE (Enzo Ferrari called it the most beautiful car ever made). From a factual standpoint, the C5 is:
  • historically revolutionary -- the hydro formed chassis and the host of computerized sensors in the drive train transformed the Corvette into a truly world-class sports car;
  • a true Super Car -- for the first time, a 2002 Z06 driven by Dave Hill made the 13 mile, 70 some turns, Nurburgring in under 8 minutes, the world-wide OEM standard and totally objective measure of Super Car performance;
  • highly aerodynamic -- a coefficient of drag of .29 -- very slippery;
  • still as 'competent' as any newer Super Car on the road even though a decade or more has passed;
  • remains the highest performance bargain among all other generations which have always been THE best bang-for-the-buck sports car ever produced.

As to all the criticism about the lackluster C5 interior, for me, I really don't need to pay for a cow's ass glued all over my dash, nor an engine assembled beside a sky lit indoor tree garden (Ferrari). I want my money invested in the car's performance, thank you.

So I wish you good luck like I had with my Z -- a killer deal -- $22,900 with 24,100 miles and ready for the track, exactly what would make Zora Duntov smile. Please keep me/us in the loop.

Here's to good hunting!

Just forgot to add...

Buying a car from a forum member is generally the safest route. And from a quick glance in the for sale section, there are some sweet looking deals.

Just sayin'...

Here's what I'm talking about...

I hope this link works for you. A 2001 (not the best year for Z06s), yellow, red interior with less than 1,000 miles -- that's not a typo -- that you could probably negotiate down to say $28,500. Lets see if the link works:

Used Chevrolet Corvette For Sale Adamstown, MD - CarGurus

Don't wait, get a Vette now - the best one you can afford at present - and start enjoying it.
Even a convertible can be used as a daily driver and you'll love the gas mileage the C5's return.
If having the wind in your hair (i.e.: convertible or targa top), is what you're looking for, you can ignore the ZO6 versions as their roofs do not come off or drop down.

You can always upgrade to a C6 later while having fun with a C5.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom