Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Grit spraying up on back quarter panel

Gray Goose

Corvette
2009 Cyber Gray Z06 w/chrome whls & Nav
I have a 2009 Z06. I drive it as much as possible except for impossible weather an it gets a lot of highway use. I have noticed that there is a pitting of the finish just where the rear fender bubbles out to create the rear wheel well. This is below the the gas cap area and is noticeable on the small plastic air intake cowels (for the brake cooling) as well. I did a "line of sight" check and it appears that the stock tires are wide enough to protrude out from the OEM mudflaps, at the road level, to stream road grit straight back to the quarter panel.

Has anyone had this experience? Is there anything that can prevent this?

My Z gets some spirited miles but absolutely no burn outs. I run pretty much 80 to 85 on the Inter-State highways with my radar detection on - give or take 10.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,
GG

Me Too

Hey grey

I also have a 2009 Z. All of the GS, Z06 and ZR1 with the wider rear fenders have this same issue. There are only two fixes for this. One is the Apsis Z06 front fender guards which are a one of a kind product that is a OEM looking front mud flap of sorts. I have them and they look wonderful, but they are like $300 for a pair. From what I have gathered, the front tires are so sticky they throw road debris back on the rear brake duct area. This area has to stick out much farther than the rest of the body to catch air for the rear brake cooling, so that makes this area a target for road debris.

The other thing you might do is have those areas treated with any of the clear film(cleartastic or the 3m) products to help protect it. My Z has 13K miles now and I bought it used. When I bought mine earlier this year with only 9500 miles...... my rear quarters looked like someone had used a sand blaster on them. I didnt see this damage till I hand washed it for the first time after I got it home. I live up near ft wayne, and winter sucks.

I have an 09 and I had the XPEL Film put on the brake duct cooling area and this will protect this area.

Hey grey

I also have a 2009 Z. All of the GS, Z06 and ZR1 with the wider rear fenders have this same issue. There are only two fixes for this. One is the Apsis Z06 front fender guards which are a one of a kind product that is a OEM looking front mud flap of sorts. I have them and they look wonderful, but they are like $300 for a pair. From what I have gathered, the front tires are so sticky they throw road debris back on the rear brake duct area. This area has to stick out much farther than the rest of the body to catch air for the rear brake cooling, so that makes this area a target for road debris.

The other thing you might do is have those areas treated with any of the clear film(cleartastic or the 3m) products to help protect it. My Z has 13K miles now and I bought it used. When I bought mine earlier this year with only 9500 miles...... my rear quarters looked like someone had used a sand blaster on them. I didnt see this damage till I hand washed it for the first time after I got it home. I live up near ft wayne, and winter sucks.

Thanks for the response 427steve..... It looks like "Oleman" concurs with you. I have the clear bra on the front of the car. It was made by VentureShield. Your suggestion of putting the clear plastic around the rear air intake for the brakes makes good sense. I'll give it a try.

Thanks again guys and have a Happy Holiday Season.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom