Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GS mystery Vette revealed

GS977 said:
i pulled my oil cap and checked mine and it does say L T 4 on the head. and mine does have the mobil 1 plate on the hood.

;)

Well that makes TWO of us.

froggy47 said:
;)

Well that makes TWO of us.

Just checked my LT4 and its there, but it looks like something cast in rather than cut or forged - real faint.

Mystery Revealed

Hi everyone.

I received an e-mail from corvetteactioncenter that someone was still posting. Even after 2 years.

Well. At the time I could no longer post about this car as an investigation was started by the police.

I can now post what happened.

My friend worked as a counseler for the police department.

1. We ran a police vehicle check on this VIN # and it came up as a stolen vehicle.

2. The car located at my friends house was than picked up by the police an impounded.

3. A investigation started with the present owner. ( It was over a weekend and for some luck my money transfer waited until Monday) ( After finding out about the stolen car I was able to stop the transfer in time.) LUCKY!

4. The woman who owned the car bought it from a corvette dealership and financed through the bank.

5. It turns out the dealership changed the VIN #s and the bank was also in on it. It seems there was more than this one car. The dealership and bank had a good time until now.

6. The woman who owned the car knew nothing when she purchased the car and never new she purchased a hot car. She was cleared of everything. No charges filed against her. Only the bank and dealership.

7. The woman was able the sue the bank and the dealership for all the money she paid in loan payments for the past 3 years, plus interest, plus an undisclosed amount for all the trouble she went through.

8. A lesson learned by me is do a police Vin# check if you ever have an doubts about a vehicle.

9. The mystery is now over. It was a nice vette and now I will just wait until I finally purshase my First Vette. I will someday.

10. Thank You to everyone who did try and help this mystery. I am glad it is over, that the owner was not arrested and did get her money back, and especially that the dealership and bank got what was coming to them.

Sincerely,

RAW

Once again the wheels of justice turn slowly with a little prodding! Looks like many were on track with recognizing things as not quite right. Glad no innocent bystanders were burned in this deal. To better results next time and a Atta Boy' for the careful nature of many Corvette owners! :upthumbs

nearmiss said:
Just checked my LT4 and its there, but it looks like something cast in rather than cut or forged - real faint.

Three

:)

froggy47 said:
It IS stamped LT4 on the head under the oil filler cap on my LT4. Take a flashlight and go check your car before you reply:)

It's a bit forward of the hole on mine. I took a pic but I suck with the digi cam & the focus did not work:(
Yes, If you look into the oil fill hole on an LT4 you will see LT4 stamped inside. Guy

Ethan said:
Also just because it has red intake and red fuel line covers does not say its a LT4. Need to decode it could be a dressed up LT1. Take the oil fill cap out of valve cover take a peek see if it has the aluminum roller rockers you should be able to see them . That would be a good indicator untill you ID the block.
All the LT4s were supposed to be 6 speeds, did someone sneak one out of the plant? Maybe. All ZR1s are supposed to be 6speed hard tops.
If you find a car that is different and the owner swears it came from the factory I would bet that it is BS unless they had a bunch of paperwork proving provinance.

It is easy and inexpensive to convert an LT1 to LT4. GM sells the kit!! You can even get it bundled with a hotcam. So looking at a Red intake, roller rockers, Grand Sport TB, and LT4 heads mean nothing.
You have the VIN and the VIN is probably right!!!!!!!http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/3473/products/228115/Stage-2-LT1-to-LT4-Conversion-Kit-with-LT4-HOT-Camshaft.htm

Holy Cow!!!!!!! I feel like I just read "The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich":D

War and Peace.

I think this whole story was made up- ???

Did learn a lot about the GS LT4 however.

Thanks,

Sully

Vin

aboatguy said:
All the LT4s were supposed to be 6 speeds, did someone sneak one out of the plant? Maybe. All ZR1s are supposed to be 6speed hard tops.
If you find a car that is different and the owner swears it came from the factory I would bet that it is BS unless they had a bunch of paperwork proving provinance.

It is easy and inexpensive to convert an LT1 to LT4. GM sells the kit!! You can even get it bundled with a hotcam. So looking at a Red intake, roller rockers, Grand Sport TB, and LT4 heads mean nothing.
You have the VIN and the VIN is probably right!!!!!!!http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/3473/products/228115/Stage-2-LT1-to-LT4-Conversion-Kit-with-LT4-HOT-Camshaft.htm

you gotta look at the VIN....mine is correct VIN for LT4...with 6 speed...and the tach is the LT4 higher redline.....but the engine has no red intake OR the GS TB plate...so i think its still and LT4 is anyone wants to prove its not ill b open to accept the fact. but the LT4 with an auto i think is not factory...there r some cool customstuff out there this is pry one of them.

Make that 5.

L T 4 is stamped in the head, just undue your oil fill cap and there it is.

B17Crew
:w

Lucy, you've got some splainin to do. No telling what the hell that car is.

cesully said:
War and Peace.

I think this whole story was made up- ???

Did learn a lot about the GS LT4 however.

Thanks,

Sully

no kidding........or more like an army tech mannual:eyerole

Omg!!

This thread is still alive??!! :L Grab a gun quick!!! :r

RAW said:
Hi everyone.

I received an e-mail from corvetteactioncenter that someone was still posting. Even after 2 years.

Well. At the time I could no longer post about this car as an investigation was started by the police.

I can now post what happened.

My friend worked as a counseler for the police department.

1. We ran a police vehicle check on this VIN # and it came up as a stolen vehicle.

2. The car located at my friends house was than picked up by the police an impounded.

3. A investigation started with the present owner. ( It was over a weekend and for some luck my money transfer waited until Monday) ( After finding out about the stolen car I was able to stop the transfer in time.) LUCKY!

4. The woman who owned the car bought it from a corvette dealership and financed through the bank.

5. It turns out the dealership changed the VIN #s and the bank was also in on it. It seems there was more than this one car. The dealership and bank had a good time until now.

6. The woman who owned the car knew nothing when she purchased the car and never new she purchased a hot car. She was cleared of everything. No charges filed against her. Only the bank and dealership.

7. The woman was able the sue the bank and the dealership for all the money she paid in loan payments for the past 3 years, plus interest, plus an undisclosed amount for all the trouble she went through.

8. A lesson learned by me is do a police Vin# check if you ever have an doubts about a vehicle.

9. The mystery is now over. It was a nice vette and now I will just wait until I finally purshase my First Vette. I will someday.

10. Thank You to everyone who did try and help this mystery. I am glad it is over, that the owner was not arrested and did get her money back, and especially that the dealership and bank got what was coming to them.

Sincerely,

RAW

i can't believe you guys gave this much trouble to this guy trying to figure out what he was buying and to make sure he was buying what was for sale! maybe next time you guys will bite your tongue and go that extra mile to help a fellow potential corvette owner instead of saying he's pulling our legs this that and the other.

with out the CAC this poor guy would of got BURNED on this car and could have gotten into legal trouble over it and thrown in jail.

Raw i salute you for staying with your search and getting to the bottom of this. i also hope you do find a vette that you like and can purchase with out so much hassle.

RAW'S story

What a great mystery, although it reeked of stolen and chopshop from the beginning! It made no sense that so many things were changed on the car.
Why spend good money to run the value of your car down and not even change the paint if you wanted a copy of a Grand Sport? I loved all the responses and learned alot about my LT4 which I just purchased in Aug.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom