Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GS mystery Vette revealed

Sorry if I sound stupid, but what does this mean?

I still don't think this is the same car. I had someone else check the VIN. All the Numbers match this car and have not been tampered with. All the stickers RPO codes are original.

The RPO codes in the latest post do not match the ones I have, WHY?

CARFAX is listing this vehicle, which is from Ohio, and now Michigan. Which explains why nobody ever wanted this car.

Now the car I have has not been sold all over the place. And was not purchased in Ohio. ANd is not being purchased in Michigan.

I think we have 2 same number VIN's....

Look at the VIN plate very carefully, maybe somebody swapped them out, but according to what Ethan say's that what your car is supposed to be. I doubt that there are two VIN's without it being picked up before now. Does the previous owner have any info on the original owner that you could contact, maybe that person has some documentation. and don't count on the looking at the numbers and think they have not been tampered with. there is a dealer in New Hampshire that was fined and sued for changing the stampings on the engines for Mid years to big block numbers. and don't count on carfax for all the information, it's only reported by susbscribing dealers or insurance companies, so they are sometime inaccurate. you also can't count on where a car is being sold from carfax. for instance if a dealer in Massachusetts, buys from and auction then sells to another dealer in Ohio. it will be sometime before it's picked up. Dealers buy each others cars all the time

RAW said:
Sorry if I sound stupid, but what does this mean?

I still don't think this is the same car. I had someone else check the VIN. All the Numbers match this car and have not been tampered with. All the stickers RPO codes are original.

The RPO codes in the latest post do not match the ones I have, WHY?

CARFAX is listing this vehicle, which is from Ohio, and now Michigan. Which explains why nobody ever wanted this car.

Now the car I have has not been sold all over the place. And was not purchased in Ohio. ANd is not being purchased in Michigan.

I think we have 2 same number VIN's....

You don't specifically say where you and the car are... unless I missed it.

You should have been suspicious with such a low price. You will lose everything once the car is determined to be a stolen one. I bet that is what it is.

Somehow it is difficult to feel sorry for anyone paying peanuts for something and then crying foul.

GS

Also if you look at the report the console pad was replaced at 23379 miles please someone correct me if I,m wrong but at least on my 91 that is where the RPO codes are on the bottom side if I remember right.

I had my friends father check it out, and knows alot about cars. He himself went out and checked the car. He said the VIN numbers were not tampered with and seem very original. Now that is three people who checked and verified this VIN on the car.

I will have them check if we can find the info of who had this before them.

The car with this VIN according to CARFAX on 10 January 2002, is offered for sale in Dearborn, Michigan.

This car I have was sold was not from Michigan and has been with the same owner for the last three years. This car is not registered in Michigan either. Nothing adds up.

Hopefully everything will come out..

How can I be suspicious, MR. FRANK M. The loan from the bank was $33,900 when purchased from the dealership. It has been owned since 1999. The owner still owes $14,000, bank pay off at $11,400. She just wanted someone to take over payments, and get the car off her hands. She knows nothing. She hasn't even driven it for the past 9 months as it was in her garage. What is so strang about that.

And you don't need to feel sorry for me, and I am not crying. I came to this site for grown intelligent people to help me out, not make smart remarks.

RAW said:
How can I be suspicious, MR. FRANK M. The loan from the bank was $33,900 when purchased from the dealership. It has been owned since 1999. The owner still owes $14,000, bank pay off at $11,400. She just wanted someone to take over payments, and get the car off her hands. She knows nothing. She hasn't even driven it for the past 9 months as it was in her garage. What is so strang about that.

I would have been very suspicious.
Remember theives know what to say and how to say it.
When it sounds to good to be true thats exactly what it is..:TALK

lt4 auto

RAW

One sure fire way to tell if it is indeed an LT4, Would be to take off the oil cap and stamped into the block it will say LT4.

Re: LT4 Engine

RAW said:
I am in the process of Purchasing a 1996 Coupe. I am from American Samoa. Everything checks out pretty good except for the Engine. The Actual sticker on the window says it has a LT4 engine, yet it has an automatic transmission. From what I have read, only the LT4 was mated to the 6 gear manual transmission. Could this just be a miss print on the Spec sheet for this car.

so you have not purchased the car ?

RAW said:
I am trying to have them e-mail a picture of the engine so I can tell if it has the red intake, spark plug and coil wires, Corvette lettering. But can it be possible to have it as a automatic.

you are not here in the states to actually see the car?

RAW said:
Or is the present owner just pulling my leg. She swears it has the Grand Sport Package. It is upposed to be a 1996 2DR Coupe, has all the options plus the LT4 Grand Sport Engine. It is the Deep Purple Metallic color. I am just confused on this?????

or are you here in the states talking to the owner?

I think we on the CAC are getting our leg pulled with this post.

Frank, here in the DC area we get a lot of "take over payments" for sale ads. People who got in too deep and need out (a friend did that with a lease when they realized they'd owe several thousand at lease-end for excess mileage). RAW's not crying foul for anything, he simply wants to know what he got.

Besides - sometimes a good deal is just that - a good deal. If this person has certified loan papers saying they've owned the car for three years, what more can you ask for? You sound like you've been burned once too many times and are now suspicious of everything.
[RICHR]

rrubel said:
Frank, here in the DC area we get a lot of "take over payments" for sale ads. People who got in too deep and need out (a friend did that with a lease when they realized they'd owe several thousand at lease-end for excess mileage). RAW's not crying foul for anything, he simply wants to know what he got.

Besides - sometimes a good deal is just that - a good deal. If this person has certified loan papers saying they've owned the car for three years, what more can you ask for? You sound like you've been burned once too many times and are now suspicious of everything.
[RICHR]

Actually I have never been burned. I have seen alot and still do everyday in this business.

I learned believe nothing when there are red flags up.

Thanks, it is just that simple.

I am talking to the previous owner and she bought this car from a Corvette dealer in October 1998, it had 24,000 miles on it. She has since put 10,000 miles on it since than. That is almost 4 years this October. This proves there is no way this is the same car. From 95 to 2000 it has been registered in Ohio. The car I have for sure now has been registered in another state.

Someone explain that.

FrankM

Read dates on the post please.

Yes I just purchased the car.

No I am not there, and have not seen the car personally.

I am talking to the owner on Instant Messanger.

And I am not a Pulling your Leg or anyone else's.

I would go back to the owner who had before the one you bought it from. somethings not right with the VIN and the title. As you gave the VIN and the info was provided,then you said the title say's 1996. So there's two potential problems, maybe the current owner found out something and decided to dump the car . the way some of these shops change out VIN plates your not really going to notice it as it is done just like factory all there are are two rivets that hold it in place, nothing to drill it out and re-rivet with a different VIN. Try to go back to all the owners and find out the real history that may be the only thing you can do at this point since there is so much conflicting data. You could also try to drop the fuel tank and there should be a build sheet there that would not have been replaced if the car was in a major accident, if it's not there then somebody removed it and this would make even more leary on the cars history. As someone who is going to change out the VIN would most certainly destory any evidence of the previous car. there would be no reason for any of the previous owners to take out the build sheet the car is too new to have gone through a restoration which is where most of the sheets are taken out. also in a 96 the RPO codes are located in the passengers back compartment not in the center console lid, check there also

just another note, not trying to flame you at all but, your banking on carfax way to much here, alot of there data is inaccurate and not up to date, forget carfax for vehicle history. Go to a chevy dealer and have them figure everything out or the DMV thats the only right way to get the correct information

supernatural400 said:
just another note, not trying to flame you at all but, your banking on carfax way to much here, alot of there data is inaccurate and not up to date, forget carfax for vehicle history. Go to a chevy dealer and have them figure everything out or the DMV thats the only right way to get the correct information

This page may help: Vehicle History Search

RAW said:
FrankM

Read dates on the post please.

Yes I just purchased the car.

No I am not there, and have not seen the car personally.

I am talking to the owner on Instant Messanger.

And I am not a Pulling your Leg or anyone else's.

not trying to flame you at all but, why would you pay that kind of money without first seeing the car or at least having someone here in the states check it out for you

supnat400

The x-owner knows nothing except she owned it for since 1998, nobody ever thiought to check the VIN numbers until I did. I could have just bought the car, stored it like I am, and just picked it up when I go to the states.

If this is the smae car, CARFAX is totally wrong. First it stated that the car has a clean bill of health. Another poster post the accident info. This car was not registered were car fax says it was, and the miles is wrong.

I can still just drop everything and forget it. But now I would like to know.

If you're looking for the other thread entitled LT4 Engine, I have merged it with this thread....it was getting hard to follow.

RAW said:
supnat400

The x-owner knows nothing except she owned it for since 1998, nobody ever thiought to check the VIN numbers until I did. I could have just bought the car, stored it like I am, and just picked it up when I go to the states.

If this is the smae car, CARFAX is totally wrong. First it stated that the car has a clean bill of health. Another poster post the accident info. This car was not registered were car fax says it was, and the miles is wrong.

I can still just drop everything and forget it. But now I would like to know.

I would try to contact the dealer where the current owner bought it and get there take on all of this, they must have info on who the original owner of the car was and any vehicle history. Also send a email to carfax and question them on this that they have the wrong vehicle information

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom