Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GS mystery Vette revealed

Thank You, I think

So you can have a standard 2 dr coupe, put all the Grand Sport options on it, make it look like a Grand Sport with a different color paint job, but it isn't a Grand Sport because it dosns't have a LT4 manual transmission and a 5 in the Vin Number. Then buy it off the lot, but isn't it coming from the factory with all these options on it.

Why would someone go thru all this hassle buying a new car when he could just buy a GS.

Thats is all I really wanted to know here.

I guess someone put a LT4 engine in it after the fact, just to really make it a Grand Sport, but it isn't becasue of the VIN.

Just trying to make sense of this car. It's a very nice vette>

You can have the 6 speed manual mated to an LT4 engine added, yes....the main point here is this: If the the VIN has any other letter in it other than T for 1996 and 5 for the LT4 engine....it is not a true 1996 Grand Sport Corvette built from the factory.

As far as I'm concerned, you can take any Corvette and turn it into a Grand Sport Corvette, but if it doesn't have the Grand Sport's unique VIN, to me, it is not a Grand Sport.

Same goes for a ZR-1. The VIN for a ZR-1 is unique. You can go out and buy an LT5 engine and all the body panels....and the special instrument cluster with unique ZR-1 tachometer....and the trim panel for the Valet key, etc., but if that body doesn't have a ZR-1 VIN number attached to it....in my eyes, it's a fake, regardless of how close it comes to being a factory ZR-1.

Regardless of what I may think, it's still a Corvette and it's your Corvette. It's special to you which is what is important here. If you have a 1995 Corvette with the LT4 engine and transmission and you enjoy it, and love to drive it, then that's all that matters. If you place high value on originality etc., then you're better off finding a true 1996 Grand Sport. That's just my opinion.

All I am trying to find out is what did I buy. If you go to the 82 -96 forum I listed the VIN ad RPO codes that came with this car. Right from the factory.

Now you tell me that the factory put all the GS options on this car. To make a fake. It was purchased this way.

I understand what you are saying about the VIN, but it came from the factory. Nobody went out and bought parts for it.

Please go to the other forum and check out the numbers and tell me what you think. This is all off the car.

I have to agree with Rob on this one RAW. If the car does not have the Grand Sport VIN then its not a Grand Sport. But how this car was built I have no idea. Many of it's option codes indicate it is a Grand Sport, but then just as many indicate it can not be a Grand Sport. Heck even the VIN says it's not a GS.

I hope you can find some info as to how this all happend because you've really got my curiosity piqued.

Jason

Twidget

Go to 82-96 forum and read whats going on.

You think your curiosity is piqued. I don't know what to do..

Read the Help topic under RAW

This is more than interesting.

I would like to see pictures of this car. Is it possible that GM made a 95 car that had all of the GS options, different color to disguise it, and never intended for the car to make it to the streets? Maybe some kind of test mule to see how the auto trans worked out with the LT4? All in all I agree that the car is not a GS, nor will it ever be. But until we all see the Sticker and some picts we will never know. I agree with above, car must be a rebuild. Very odd if you ask me.

RAW,
Let's see if we can't give you a hand here..
RAW said:
… …..On the other part I am not sending it to American Samoa. I bought it just to have a car to drive around in when I go to the states. So it will be stored most of the time. Sorry, but no cost will be included that way. But if it was, maybe less than 2 grand to ship, no taxes. I shipped a MGB here, only $1,500 total for everything, from Texas.
RAW said:
.. . …Somebody explain the numbers. I just want to know what I have bought….
RAW said:
I will find out the Vin number later on in the day, time to go to sleep in American Samoa.

We have members all over the world. We have some very knowledgeable members living in Texas. If the Corvette is being stored in Texas? you may find some CAC members from Texas to help. I'm sure someone from Texas would be willing to help you out here by going to where you have your Corvette stored at and inspect it for you, take photo’s and help you document your unseen purchase.

If the Corvette is not in Texas, I bet we have members in the state it is being stored in and, I bet you could find a few members that would check this Corvette out for you.

Good Luck.

GS

Also just because it has red intake and red fuel line covers does not say its a LT4. Need to decode it could be a dressed up LT1. Take the oil fill cap out of valve cover take a peek see if it has the aluminum roller rockers you should be able to see them . That would be a good indicator untill you ID the block.

StillDreaming said:
I would like to see pictures of this car. Is it possible that GM made a 95 car that had all of the GS options, different color to disguise it, and never intended for the car to make it to the streets? Maybe some kind of test mule to see how the auto trans worked out with the LT4? All in all I agree that the car is not a GS, nor will it ever be. But until we all see the Sticker and some picts we will never know. I agree with above, car must be a rebuild. Very odd if you ask me.

I was actually wondering this myself. However, I was in Bowling Green in April 1995 and Jim Ingle, a Corvette Powertrain engineer was road testing several GS' and CEs. To the best of my memory, they were true GSs and CEs with proper paint schemes, etc. I need to do some further research on this...

Rob

According to Car Fax this VIN # shows the car was sold in April of 1995. Isn't that weird. The mileage from car fax is 20,000 miles over what is on this car. The car has been in a different state for the last three years than what car fax shows, aand really for the past 6 years.

For the above posters. I will be talking to my friend shortly. I will hav ehi for the forth time check the VIN # again. The registration, bank paper title all show this same VIN #. If car fax is right, it is not the same car.

I will have my friend check under the oil cap and see if it has aluminium roller rockers. ALos get the Engine Number and Transmission Number.

I can't see that anything was ever done to this car except maybe the engine, because all the RPO codes say it has the Grand Sport Package which it does. And why have both engine transmisions codes on the RPO?

All I ever wanted was a corvette some time in my life. The week before I was talking to my kids and wife about it. Then the opportunity came and I took it. So simple but now??????

GS

If its not legit so what you wanted a Vette you got a Vette. And a a great price and if someone swapped in a LT4 also =more performance for you. GM has made some one off test cars but none seem to make it to the general population.I do agree something smells fishy,maybe the vin is just getting written down wrong and dont believe everything car fax tells you they are just a business like everything else they can make a mistakes too. Just my 2 cents worth.

Amazing...

Amazing that this thread has gone on this long.

A lot of rumors, misconceptions, and half-truths have been posted here along with only a handful of facts. Lets see if we can sort through them....

Raw -- I congratulate you on your Corvette purchase. Whatever the car is, I'm sure you'll have loads of fun with it. Just don't expect it to be something that it isn't and you'll be a happy camper.

From the VIN 1G1YY22P2S5106613, this is a 1995 (S) regular production Corvette coupe (22) with LT1 (T51) engine. The only real mystery here is your title and registration. If they say 1996, as you say, then you have a problem. You should contact your DMV because this is very suspicious of illegal tampering. Caveat Emptor, dude.

Of course it is NOT a Z16 Grand Sport. Besides the obvious fact that they were only produced in 1996, a *real* GS has T56 in the 11-12th positions of the VIN and the last 5 digits range from 00001 to 01000.

Anyone can install a Grand Sport interior in an RPO Corvette. Heck, I sold a GS black interior and it now resides in a gorgeous GS clone, but clone it still is. For that matter, anyone can install an LT4, as well. You should also understand it is MUCH easier to install an LT4 into an original auto tranny car than to convert an original LT4/6 speed car to auto tranny!

If your RPO label actually says 05U (Dark Purple Metallic) and D82 (Special Paint requres Z16), then that is another mystery that would make me suspect a phony RPO label.

To pin down exactly what you have here, you need to dig a bit deeper than the VIN. First you need to check the engine SUFFIX. This is a number that was hand stamped onto a pad at the rear of the engine, usually on the drivers side, at the assembly plant. For 1995, the suffix would be ZUC for an LT1/Auto and ZUF for an LT1/6 speed. For 1996, the suffix would be ZXA for LT1/Auto and ZXD for LT4/6 speed.

On this same pad, usually below the suffix, is stamped the VIN DERIVATIVE, usually the last 5-6 digits of the VIN of the car the engine was installed into. This will confirm if the motor you have now is the one that originally came with the car.

HEAD numbers can also be viewed by removing the valve covers. 10207643 for 1995 LT1, 10207643 or 12551561 for 1996 LT1, 10239902 for 1996 LT4. Just looking for roller rockers and such is no proof as they could have been installed as aftermarket parts.

The BLOCK number, stamped on a pad just forward of the passenger side cylinder head means nothing... 10125327 was used on all LT1/4 blocks from 1992-1996.

In order to have a "matching numbers" car, which is the only way to prove the car has any more value other than an oddity, then all the above numbers have to match up (make sense). Until you verify this, you're just guessing.

WHY someone would go through all the trouble to end up with the car you now have is beyond me. Then again, why someone would chop the top off a perfectly good 2002 Z06 is beyond the reasoning of a lot of other folks out there, too. Go figger. :D

As far as the other rumors mentioned here...

Factory 1996 LT4's only came with the 6 speed. Period. That '96 CE LT4/Auto is *not* a factory production car (regardless of what you have read or what the current owner is espousing) and hence has no intrinsic value other than as an oddity. Just because some GM employees put an LT4 in an original LT1/auto after hours off-site doesn't make it any more special than you or I doing it. And no, it was not GM endorsed. They wouldn't risk a huge fine from the EPA doing this, believe me. I've spoken to John Heinricy about this (the father of the 96 GS, if you will) and he agrees. GM built no such cars. End of story.

All ZR-1's came with 6 speed only. Auto trans was never offered as a factory option with the LT5 motor. Trivia: You *could* get an auto with the '69 427-435 HP motor. I just learned that myself recently (and lost a bit doing so). :D

Again, have fun with your car and don't get all wrapped up about what it is and isn't. Its not original. So what??? If its an LT4 auto and that's what YOU want, then enjoy it the heck out of it! Just don't expect it to be worth megabucks when you decide to sell it, if ever. My only concern would be the title and registration. You might want to get a CarFax report as a start (BTW, the free CarFax check thinks this car is a 1995). Check into that and you're golden.

BTW... if anyone wants definitive info on the 1996 Grand Sport (my passion), feel free to contact me or visit www.hashmarks.com or www.grandsportregistry.com. Cheers!

GS633

Thank You, that made sense. I bought this just to have a corvette and something to drive when I go to the states, and something for my kids, if one of my boys decide to live in the states.

The title and registration do concern me. That is one thing I want correct. I don't like problems coming up just visiting the states for a month.

I was just curious about what I bought, simple. Is it wrong to be a corvette owner and know something about your car.

The information you gave me I will surely have checked. It will not make me unhappy if things don't match. I just want the corvette, being legal for the road trips.

Thanks once again for the information.

with all the problems with the year, VIN on this car it's possible that the title has been washed. I know of a few dealers who have been in trouble for washing salvaged titles through three or four states to make them appear legal. the problems with this VIN are unique to say the least. I would be very cautious with this car, the fact that the odometer is 20k out of whack is and indication of trouble, that usually happends during a wash also. not sure if they will do this, but you might want to contact the Corvette Museum to see what kind of info they have , based on the VIN

VIN: 1G1YY22P2S5106613
VEHICLE INFORMATION
Merchandising Model: 1YY07 - 1995 CORVETTE COUPE Warranty Start Date:
11/26/1994
BARS Order Type 0 - ALL ORDER TYPES (FOR WFP USE)
Delivering Dealer : VICTORY CHEVROLET-OLDS-GEO, INC.
200 N LEAVITT RD
AMHERST, OH 44001-1125
(440) 988-4444
Selling Source: 13 - CHEVROLET
Site Code: 28418
Business Associate Code: 117139
Service Contract: No Branded Title: No Warranty Block: No PDI Status:
Paid
CAMPAIGN ELIGIBILITY
Vehicle Has No Current Record Of Outstanding Campaigns.
APPLICABLE WARRANTIES
Description Effective Date Effective Odometer End Date End Odometer
36/36000 BUMPER TO BUMPER - NO DEDUCTIBLE 11/26/1994 6 miles
11/26/1997 36006 miles
72/100000 SHEET METAL RUST-THROUGH 11/26/1994 6 miles 11/26/2000
100006 miles
36/36000 SHEET METAL CORROSION 11/26/1994 6 miles 11/26/1997 36006
miles
96/80000 PCM/CC EMISSIONS 11/26/1994 6 miles 11/26/2002 80006 miles
36/36000 FEDERAL EMISSIONS 11/26/1994 6 miles 11/26/1997 36006 miles
CLAIM HISTORY
R.O.
Date R.O.
Number Type Labor Operation Odometer
Reading
03/31/1997 112345 # B2308 - ONE PIECE HATCH ROOF ASSEMBLY - RPL 25930
miles
03/31/1997 112345 # C1012 - FT ROOF W/STRIP RPL 25930 miles
03/31/1997 112345 # C6520 - FT PCK LEVR R&R/RPL 25930 miles
11/25/1996 109736 # C2740 - CONSOLE PAD R&R/RPL 23379 miles
10/08/1996 035000 # K0600 - CLUTCH MASTER CYL RPL 22304 miles
10/08/1996 035000 # R0480 - COMP POWER ASSY RPL 22304 miles
04/15/1996 066440 # K2720 - TRANSMISSION RPL 20427 miles
04/15/1996 066440 # Z7905 - DEALER SERVICE LOANER REIMBURSEMENT (FIVE
DAYS) 20427 miles
01/15/1996 102734 # N0110 - BATTERY REPLACE ONE 9454 miles
10/23/1995 035742 S Z7930 - EMERGENCY REPAIRS - GM CARES/ZONE-BRANCH
LETTER 5030 miles
08/23/1995 034656 # N4800 - COMPUTER MODULE RPL 5029 miles
08/23/1995 034656 # Z7904 - DEALER SERVICE LOANER REIMBURSEMENT (FOUR
DAYS) 5029 miles
11/26/1994 F99999 # Z7005 0 miles
11/10/1994 035265 I Z7000 - NEW VEHICLE INSPECTION ALLOWANCE 0 miles

VIN: 1G1YY22P2S5106613
VEHICLE BUILD
Merchandising Model: 1YY07 - 1995 CORVETTE COUPE
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 1724 kg (3801 lb) Order Number: 34065F
Build Date: 11/04/1994 Build Plant: 1S5Y - BOWLING GREEN
OPTION CODES
AG1 AG2 - ADJUSTER, 6-WAY POWER SEAT,
AK5 - SEAT, INFLATABLE, DRIVER & PASS AR9 - FRT BKT, DELUXE
BGR - BOWLING GREEN, KY, USA CC3 - HATCH ROOF
C68 - ELECT AIR CONDITIONING DL5 - ROADSIDE SERVICE INFORMATION
DL8 - LH & RH, REMOTE CONTROL, ELECTR FE1 - SOFT RIDE
FE9 - FEDERAL EMISSIONS GM3 - 3.45 RATIO
IP3 - INTERIOR DESIGN (P3) J55 - ANTILOCK BRAKES
KG9 - 140 AMP LT1 - GAS, 8 CYL, 5.7L, MFI, HO
ML9 - 6SPEED MANUAL 'ZF' MN6 - MANUAL 6 SPD TRANS
NA5 - EMISSION SYSTEM, FEDERAL TIER 0 NK4 - SPORT LEATHER
QB6 - 17 X 9, ALUMINUM, POLISHED R7A - SALES ITEM NO. 26
R8T - SALES ITEM NO. 69 UX0
U1F - AM/FM STEREO, SEEK/SCAN, AUTO R U52 - INST, ELECTRONIC
U75 - POWER ANTENNA VM3 - CONSUMER, CONTAINS BPR IMP STAN
V73 - USA/CANADA XAA
YAA 05U - EXTERIOR, CYCLAMEN (95)
1AY - STOCK 1SB - PREFERRED EQUIP. GROUP - 1SB **
19I - BLACK (I) (96) 193 - BLACK LEATHER
24S - BLUE, REMOVABLE PANEL

It looks to me like something major happend to the car as indicated by this:

03/31/1997 112345 # B2308 - ONE PIECE HATCH ROOF ASSEMBLY - RPL 25930
miles
03/31/1997 112345 # C1012 - FT ROOF W/STRIP RPL 25930 miles
03/31/1997 112345 # C6520 - FT PCK LEVR R&R/RPL 25930 miles

It almost sounds like the car could have been rolled? The rear hatch glass and I'm wondering if the FT ROOF W/STRIP isn't the B-pillar??? I'm guessing here. Anyone else?

04/15/1996 066440 # K2720 - TRANSMISSION RPL 20427 miles

Also looks like the tranny was replaced too, he's got bigger problems than this if the title says it's a 1996 and the person that sold it portrayed it as such

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom