Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GS mystery Vette revealed

Twiget

Thanks Twigit, at least I know it was possible to have a LT4 automatic, and now there is more than one around. Still is it something to hang on to over the long haul. Would this one be in the ZR-1 country also.

My Guess

If the engine is truly an LT4 .. as you are being led to believe.. it is possible that the engine has been exchanged by someone along the way... Or, they have added the red things to make the LT1 look like an LT4.
You need to get the VIN and all the Option Codes to see for sure.
I suspect that it's just a dressed up LT1. Photos just confirm that it looks like an LT4. Not that it is an LT4! Are there any other differences that are visible and unique?? I'm sorry but, I've only got a wee L98 and am not well versed in LT1 vs LT4.. someone will know.
No matter if it's a 1 or a 4.. you've bought a beautiful Vette with a superb colour!
Congrats to you! Tell us how you get it over to American Samoa and what the time and costs will be.. including import duties.. I bet there will be many surprised folks here when you let us in on this information.

1. It looks like prior to 1992, ZR-1's were manual-only, but after then you could get an auto.

2. It sounds to me like someone swapped engines on you. Did you friend check the numbers? I'd be curious if the auto could handle the extra 30 HP without any problems.

3. Did I read that right? If you wanted a stick you got an LT4 and if you wanted an auto you got an LT1?
[RICHR]

The person Iam buying it from bought it from a Corvette Dealer, they still has the original sticker with options that came with the car. Everything matches. Vin Numbers ect.. The sticker says LT4 (330 HP). Twidget in the LT4 Forum posted an article about one such car, it came from the plant. So it has happened. I am probably more sceptical than anyone, but everything just seems to point that this car does in fact have a LT4 engine and is automatic. It could be the second one out there.

On the other part I am not sending it to American Samoa. I bought it just to have a car to drive around in when I go to the states. So it will be stored most of the time. Sorry, but no cost will be included that way. But if it was, maybe less than 2 grand to ship, no taxes. I shipped a MGB here, only $1,500 total for everything, from Texas.

96 LT4s

96 LT4:

all GS were LT4 6 Sp.
125+ LT4 were Yellow with black 5 spoke wheels.
some coupes were also LT4 with directional wheels.

Were they all 6 spds? NO idea

rrubel said:
3. Did I read that right? If you wanted a stick you got an LT4 and if you wanted an auto you got an LT1?
[RICHR]

If you wanted a 6 speed in '96, yes you got an LT4.

But, if there are LT4 autos out there, I wouldnt be surprised to hear about a '96 LT1 6 speed.

Jason

Cool trivia!

If you got the Stick you got LT4 but did you have to get the whole GS package?

Is there anything else I can have checked to be sure. I don't want anyone to think I am BS. I want to know for sure also. But if everything checks out so far, what else can I do but believe it. I bought it now, and I really like the color Deep Purple Metallic, and how it stands out. Also has a rear spoiler, Performance Axle, F45 Selective Real Time Damping, Low Tire Pressure Warning, Delco Bose-CD, Extended Mobility Tires, Performance Handling Package, Sport Seats, Navigation System, and more..

Look at the engine code in the eighth digit of the VIN. It is a P for the LT1, and a 5 for the LT4.

The numbers from my black book (these are the numbers for 1996 MY):
total LT4's - 6359
total 6-speeds - 6359 [same numbers....]
total GS's - 1000

all LT4 throttle bodies said "Grand Sport" regardless of which option package they went into. All GS's had black wheels and were blue.

[RICHR]

I will find out the Vin number later on in the day, time to go to sleep in American Samoa.

there were no LT4 automatics that left the plant..there is however one person who change out the LT1 for and LT4 on a auto car, I believe the car is white.. there were no LT4 auto's ..PERIOD.. If it is and it's auto then it's been done after the factory and hence will be lower priced. It's very easy to paint the intake, add grand sport lettering to the throttle body, just adding and LT4 to a car does not make it the GS package, GS's had bigger brakes, heavier springs, bigger sway bar. The car in question if you run the VIN has the LT1 code in it. Fact is GM never put auto's mated to and LT4 because they could not get the required emmisions to pass and it was not worth it to do for a one year production motor. I find it hard to believe that GM would allow a Engineer to have one built knowing that it does not meet EPA standards and having to deal with fines for a lower end employee and if they did I'm sure it was with the stipulation that the car be returned to GM and not allowed to be out in the public for sale. Be very careful on this car. the story in corvette Fever is bogus to say the least.. Sneak through..come on..

Ok, Now somebody tell me?

The VIN # is: 1G1YY22P2S5106613

Now I see the 8th digits is a P, supposed to have a LT1, but it has a LT4.

Now look at the 6th and 7th digit, 2 2, this is Grand Sport Package, and we know all Grand Sports came with a LT4 engine

Now to top it all off, the title and registration say this is a 1996, yet if you look at the 10th Digit, it is a S for 1995, not a T for 1996.

All the rpo codes say this Z16, Grand Sport Options. It has them all, Grand Sport lettering on the Seat head Rest, the LT4 Engine?, Paint Numbers 05U/D82, which are grand sport paint codes, with D82 meaning Special Paint Option, 5 spoke rims, ect...

So what do I have here, Help....

Well, I can tell you that your VIN is not a Grand Sport VIN. GS's had a special series of VIN's simmilar to the ZR-1's. And as the VIN indicates, the car should be an LT1. The 6th and 7th digits just indicate the body style. 22 is a coupe, and I believe 33 would be a convertible.

As for the paint codes, 05U is: Primary Color, Exterior, Dark Purple. Though D82 is indeed the Grand Sport paint.:confused

I've got a fairly complete listing of all the option codes for the '96's. They can be found on my GS RPO list.

The more info we get, the more confusing this becomes.:hb;help

Jason

In an effort to consolidate the two threads about this subject, I merged them into one thread. Hopefully it will make solving this mystery that much easier.

Hey maybe we should call Scooby and the Gang?:)

Jason
;stupid

I think so also.

But isn't 22 on the 6th and 7th digit only for Grand Sport Numbering?

Why is the year 1995, a S instead of T?

Somebody explain the numbers.

If the vin says its a 95, how can it have a grand sport package in it.

Correct on the numbers of GS and LT4's, Thank You

I just want to know what I have bought.

Can you buy a 1996 2 DR Coupe and add the Grand Sport Package.

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c4/1996/96model.html

Grand Sport (Z16)
A new "Grand Sport" model reminds Corvette afficionados of the legendary lightweight Corvette road racers of the '60s and delivers the advanced technology of the '90s. With a limited production run, all Corvette Grand Sport models include the following:

Standard 330-horsepower LT4 engine and 6-speedmanual transmission (automatic not available)
Available on Coupe or Convertible (Convertible with white top only)
Exclusive Admiral Blue Metallic paint with center white stripe and red "hash marks" on left front fender
Chromed "Corvette" emblems on hood and fuel-filler door
"Grand Sport" emblems on the front fenders
Rear-wheel flares
Black brake calipers with raised bright aluminum "Corvette" lettering
Black five-spoke 17"-diameter Aluminum wheels
Coupe and Convertible: P255/45ZR-17 (front) and P285/40ZR-17 (rear) tires
Perforated Sport seats with "Grand Sport" embroidery
Red/black or Black interior colors
Unique serial numbers.

Regarding the VIN:

S=1995
T=1996

Is it possible to turn a 1995 or 1996 Corvette into a "Grand Sport"? Yes....it is. However, the 8th digit of the VIN on a factory production, 1996 Grand Sport is 5 indicating it has the LT4 engine. That's why the Grand Sport VIN is unique to the Grand Sport only.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom