Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Guidance, Please!

E

exNSXer

A short test-drive of a 2002 Z06 utterly amazed me. This is one terrific car!
I would very much like to buy one. Given present financial realities, I will be able to spend around $35,000. This will apparently permit me to purchase a 2001 model (especially over the next few months when 2003 models arrive in number). My concerns center around the oft-mentioned piston ring problem with excessive oil consumption. Even though covered by warranty, I would not like to purchase a 2001 Z06 if that car will ultimately require a piston ring replacement. Will all 2001 Z06s (even if not experiencing excessive oil consumption at the time of my purchase) ultimately develop this piston ring problem?

I don't think the problem is as bad as people say. My Vette is just fine. It is all a matter of how hard you drive the car. But as with any car, if you drive it hard it continually you will develop some problems. I don't think that is a problem with the Z06 since it was made to be race driven. I know a couple of people who have Z06's and they don't have any problems. They do loose some oil here and there, but not to the extent that people have been saying.

A couple of notes:

The '01 is not identical to the '02Z. It has less horsepower and torque. You might want to drive some of both before you reach any conclusions. It's not a lot, but it is noticeable. Color availability also differs.

The '01 oil consumption issue affects certain cars driven under certain conditions. There were also changes made during the run, and the '02 itself has different pistons and rings which have apparently cured the problem. There is or was also an issue with part of the PCV system which may result in oil being sucked into it under certain conditions. There's a post about it here.

Other cars and engines are referenced in the service bulletin besides Z's by the way.

It may be difficult to locate a Z at that price in many areas of the country, and I'm not sure the '03's arrival will change the situation that much soon since it's basically the same except for badging. Good luck.

Check a site more Z oriented for additional info.

I just bought my 2001 Z06 last week and I would not count on finding on at $35k but maybe a 2001 coupe. IF the choice is no Z06 or stick with your current car go for the Corvette Coupe. If you have to have a stick shift they were a option.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom