Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: gummy steering wheel

crause

Corvette
75 Convertible-steel blue / 2000 lt. pewter conv.
Need a little advise :) The steering wheel on my 75 convertible is getting worse. I don't drive it a lot and it stays covered but the problem is that there is a sticky feeling to the steering wheel and it gets black stuff all over my hands. It seems worse when it is hot and humid (which is most of the time in Louisiana). the steering wheel is in excellent condition with the exception of this black stuff that gets on my hands and clothes. is there some way to reseal this black part of the wheel and if so what should i use?
Thanks in advance for your help. :thumb

Sticky steering wheel

Need a little advise :) The steering wheel on my 75 convertible is getting worse. I don't drive it a lot and it stays covered but the problem is that there is a sticky feeling to the steering wheel and it gets black stuff all over my hands. It seems worse when it is hot and humid (which is most of the time in Louisiana). the steering wheel is in excellent condition with the exception of this black stuff that gets on my hands and clothes. is there some way to reseal this black part of the wheel and if so what should i use?
Thanks in advance for your help. :thumb
I never heard of this with the C3's but there have been complaints of this happening with the C5's and some think that it was caused from using Armorall on them and causing the material to melt over time . It can be cleaned off some what but it will continue to come back. Best to start looking for a used steering wheel or buy a nice aftermarket.

Have you tried to clean it with anything?????

The steering wheel is important because, along with the seat and accelerator pedal its your main contact with the incredible C3 driving experience - so, you want it right. To be honest, the sticky leather probably cannot be repaired - once it starts to break down like that, I've never seen it reversed. The only good news is that you can get a brand new repro steering wheel for under $200 from various vendors. Mine ('82) was a little stretched and droopy at the top of it, so I wrapped wet towels around it overnight, and sewed the softened leather/thread tighter using a large leather-style needle and 8 lb. monofilament fishing line. You would not notice the fix unless under close inspection. But, in your case the tanning has broken down. Do your family a favor and give them a Christmas or birthday/father's day (combo) gift idea which they would probably appreciate, knowing the joy you'll get out of a highly visible, personal upgrade to your most favorite toy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same issue with the original steering wheel on my 1970. The rim (the "gummy" part) is not leather, but rather some sort of black vinyl/rubberized plastic type of material. Cleaning it has not helped. Right now, I'm using a slip on wheel cover until I determine what to do.

Has anyone else run across this? Any success with a remedy?

The rubber is breaking down. The only solution I am aware of is a replacement steering wheel.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom