Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hankook Tires

Blue260

Corvette
2014 Lime Rock Green Metallic 3LT/ Z51 - 7 Speed
Well I finally purchased my 1st set of Non-runflats, the Hankook V12 Evo.

I've been blessed to to be able to say Corvettes have been my daily driver for the past 17 years. And, in that time span I have purchased many run-flat replacements (all GYRF) with only two exceptions - the Firestone Firehawk and Nitto 555 Extreme for my C4.

Anyway, I don't have many miles on this tire as they were installed yesterday on my C6 by Discount tire. However, I'm starting to have some reservations should I get a flat. I'm concerned if the tire does go down will I damage the rim. If this is the case, then the cost savings becomes a zero win.

I'm also second guessing myself that I'm not prepared if, when, and where, the tire should go flat.

I know some forum members my be questioning - why I purchased non-runflats to begin with?!!
Well, like I said, I've been blessed to have a vette as a DD for 17 years, and in that time I've had only 2 flats. Am I playing the odds?...just a little. But I'm fed up with poor mileage, noise, and ride, for just a piece of mind in the event of a flat. And, when you add replacement cost...it just doesn't make good (cents) sense.

So my question is, do I just buy a can of tire sealant in the event of a flat or am I missing something? What are other forum members doing who have forgone runflats?

Thanks,
chris

Tire sealant can (probably will) ruin your TPMS sensor which will eat into your savings. A tire plug kit and a compressor is another way to do it, but you better be ready to fix it under any conditions, and at any place that a flat can occur (side of road, freeway, rain, dark, off camber, etc). Trying to drive a flat tire to a safe place to repair it will usually destroy the tire internally.

I'm in the same boat and my vett is a company car and DD .I'm moving to non run flats for noise relief and they do cost less .I figure the tire sensor will give me some warning and I'll Carry a patch kit and small compressor .

Probably my first flat will be in Harlem on a night that a major hurricane hits :D

Yes I have your concerns.

Tire sealant can (probably will) ruin your TPMS sensor which will eat into your savings. A tire plug kit and a compressor is another way to do it, but you better be ready to fix it under any conditions, and at any place that a flat can occur (side of road, freeway, rain, dark, off camber, etc). Trying to drive a flat tire to a safe place to repair it will usually destroy the tire internally.

NEVER, EVER "plug" a radial tire. I would expect some of layperson DIYs from the Corvette Forum to suggest that but not a "20 year ASE Master Certified Tech" here on the CAC. The only safe way to repair a radial is with an inside patch.

Tire sealant will destroy the TPMS sensor, but I'd rather that than chance a tire failure with a radial that's plugged.

"Blue 260"...why did you buy that particular tire, the Hankook V12 Evo?

NEVER, EVER "plug" a radial tire. I would expect some of layperson DIYs from the Corvette Forum to suggest that but not a "20 year ASE Master Certified Tech" here on the CAC. The only safe way to repair a radial is with an inside patch.

Tire sealant will destroy the TPMS sensor, but I'd rather that than chance a tire failure with a radial that's plugged.

Not never, only when it get's you out of trouble, the plug can be removed and the tire can be patched inside after your home safe and sound. The problem with plugging steel/ kevlar radial tire's is that the cord tends to saw the plugs off due to the action of the tire rolling over uneven surfaces.

Just another reply, this time on Handkook's. My wife never notices anything that has to do with her car. You could drop a big block under the hood and she would tell you it sounds different. I put a set of Handkook's on the 06 Sonata and I noticed driving it home that "Wow" it feels better, braking, the ride, overall handling was much better. I didn't tell my wife about the tires because I thought why bother. On one of her many shopping excursions she returned and said "WoW" the car feels different/better. That's all I had to hear, some people are dis-connected from the feel of machines, other's like many of us are in tune to what going on under the hood, in the suspension and the exhaust, many are just along for the ride, that would be my wife, and if she noticed the difference in those tires, I'm sold........

Not never, only when it get's you out of trouble, the plug can be removed and the tire can be patched inside after your home safe and sound. The problem with plugging steel/ kevlar radial tire's is that the cord tends to saw the plugs off due to the action of the tire rolling over uneven surfaces.

If the plug is the type one installs with a hook tool, that usually damages the tire permanently. It tears or breaks the tread belt material rendering the tire unsafe. Conceivabley, you could use that type of plug in an emergency, but afterwards, the tire should be scrapped.

There are special, self-vulcanizing plugs which are installed with a different type of tool which can "safely" plug a radial on a temporary basis, but afterwards the tire should be properly repaired using the method discussed here: Tire Tech Information - Flat Tire Repairs

"Blue 260"...why did you buy that particular tire, the Hankook V12 Evo?[/QUOTE]

Hib, first I'd like to say I've always enjoyed reading your columns in Corvette Fever almost 20 years ago. And, I respect and value your opinions and knowledge as a seasoned technical writer.

I purchased the Hankooks based on Car & Drivers tire test which used the Michelin Pilot Sport as the baseline.
I guess I'll find out in the near future if I made the right decision.

Anyway, I trying to find out what I'll need in my rear compartment to get me home should the worst happen....a flat!
chris

Your true colors always come through don't they. The OP's question was not how to safely repair a tire, but rather what are people doing when they have a flat without runflat tires. I never said that a safe way to repair a tire was with a plug, I said that another way to do it (get the flat repaired on the side of the road) was to plug it, and it IS another way to do it and some people chose to do it that way. I personally do not install plugs, I use an umbrella patch installed from inside the tire when the tire is even able to be repaired if that even matters to you at all and I could honestly care less if you do.

non run flats

I too replaced run flats with michelin ps2 non run flats and do not regret it, what a ride! Carry a small compressor and plug kit. Bought at Discount Tires.

I too replaced run flats with michelin ps2 non run flats and do not regret it, what a ride! Carry a small compressor and plug kit. Bought at Discount Tires.

Thanks Mike, this was the answer I was looking for when the possibility of a flat happened.

For those that are considering the replacements with non-runflats - here are 2 links you'll need.

Tire Rack : Vehicle Convenience and Safety

Tire Inflation Pressure | TPMS | Tire Sensors | TPMS Wholesalers | Sensors

The first is the Continental ContiComfort Kit, the second is a wholesale outlet for purchasing replacement TPMS sensor.

For those that think adding a liquid patch in your tire will ruin your TPMS sensor, it may not, according to Continental. It says that the liquid patch can be peeled and/or washed off the sensor. It does say you may get erroneous tire pressure readings - so what! At this point we know we have a flat that needs to get repaired. This is just a temporary fix to get us to a repair facility.
And, if it does, I've included a link that where a new one can be purchased.
Mine TPMS cost is $32.00 (and change).

The Conti-Kit is $79.00 w/refillable cartridges at $25.00. Add up all those charges and you're now in the win-win investment category!

chris
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=38

I'd never plug a speed rated radial - period.

Whether you use run flats or non run flats, if you pick up a nail, large screw etc and get the tire fixed, you don't have a z rated tire anymore. My thinkin is get home with the car (fix a flat, compressor, whatever), take the tire and get removed from the rim, clean it up along with tpms and order another tire, ya, your out a few hundred $ but the ride is worth it---I can even hear the radio!!!! Also thanks for thread on buying tpms, thats the cheapest ive ever seen.

GY F1 Supercar EMT Run-Flat tires

Perhaps I'm missing something here; in the beginning of this season I installed the "latest" GY F1 Supercar EMT Run-Flat tires on my C6 ($810 total delivered price from Discount Tire, after all rebates/no tax/no del) and couldn't be happier. This is a totally different tire that came with my Z51, a very nice ride w/no noise. I think you guys are missing all the improvements GY has made to stay competitive. :D

Perhaps I'm missing something here; in the beginning of this season I installed the "latest" GY F1 Supercar EMT Run-Flat tires on my C6 ($810 total delivered price from Discount Tire, after all rebates/no tax/no del) and couldn't be happier. This is a totally different tire that came with my Z51, a very nice ride w/no noise. I think you guys are missing all the improvements GY has made to stay competitive. :D

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...er=19&rearSortCode=57950&tab=OE&filterType=oe

Perhaps I am missing something............$810.00 - I don't think so!

Hib, first I'd like to say I've always enjoyed reading your columns in Corvette Fever almost 20 years ago. And, I respect and value your opinions and knowledge as a seasoned technical writer.
Thank you for the kind words.:)
I purchased the Hankooks based on Car & Drivers tire test which used the Michelin Pilot Sport as the baseline.
I guess I'll find out in the near future if I made the right decision.
I'm a CD subscriber and I remember the magazine publishing that tire test. I don't remember Hankook's performance in the test. I'll go back and read it.
Anyway, I trying to find out what I'll need in my rear compartment to get me home should the worst happen....a flat!
I'd go the inflatable sealant method and then figure on buying a new sensor. If you have a puncture or tear larger than can be repaired by a sealant, then a plug probably will not work, either, and you're going to need a roll-back tow truck. With the "sealant" method, at least, once you've reached a place where the tire can be fix permanently, you won't have to scrap the tire.

The one advantage of Goodyear's run flats is they can sustain a significant amount of damage and still be driveable. When GY introduced the EMT to media, one of the demos was to pull the valve stem, using a hole-saw, drill a 1-inch hole in the tire then drive the car at 50 mph. It was a pretty amazing demonstration.

Your true colors always come through don't they. The OP's question was not how to safely repair a tire, but rather what are people doing when they have a flat without runflat tires. I never said that a safe way to repair a tire was with a plug, I said that another way to do it (get the flat repaired on the side of the road) was to plug it, and it IS another way to do it and some people chose to do it that way. I personally do not install plugs, I use an umbrella patch installed from inside the tire when the tire is even able to be repaired if that even matters to you at all and I could honestly care less if you do.

I agree, you never said plugging radial tires was safe. The safety issue was brought up by others who have posted to this thread.

BUT...you, also, never said plugging radial tires is unsafe because it can damage the tire structure beneath the tread and cause catastrophic failure of the tire nor did you tell the thread that you, personally, never use plugs. As an ASC Master Technician with 20 years experience, I think you ought to know better than to simply suggest plugs as a solution to people who will assume that, after an emergency plugging, the tire is still serviceable.

In my opinion, as a ASC Master Technician with 20 years experience who has street creds here on the CAC, it's your responsibility to give advice which is safe, accurate and complete. If you can't or won't do that, then I feel you should consider deleting the notation in your sig line which says...
Master Technician

20 year ASE Master Certified Tech
...because people read that then assume what your advice is comprehensive and above question.

As for plugging radials...if you're going to advocate that as temporary solution which someone with non-RFTs could use in an emergency, why :confused couldn't you have just said something like:

"A plug could be used as an emergency measure, but the person doing the plugging should understand that doing so presents a significant safety compromise if the tire is used the same way an undamaged tire could be used and that, once the car reaches a place where the plugged tire can be removed, it should be replaced not "repaired" with a more permanent fix."

Blue260

No reason to lie on the price I paid: Purchased on 10/30/09 AM (last day for the rebates) installed (w/Road Force balanced) on 11/13/09. 2-GY P245/40/R18" 88Y F1 Supercar EMT Run-Flat $350.00 - 10/30/09 PM 2-GY P285/35R19" 90Y F1 Supercar EMT Run-Flat $600.00 (w $50.00ea off for buying 4 from Discount Tire Direct). Filled out rebate form on-line for GY's rebate. Called GY in January '10 looking for my rebate & girl couldn't find it so she processed it again, meanwhile... NCCC (Dec issued) had offered a $40.00 rebate for members only (allowed to be used with one other GY rebate offer) to celebrate their 50th Anniversary, sent that in with membership number. First week in February came a $50.00 check, 3rd week came another $50.00 check (guess they found my first on-line form) then the $40.00 rebate check came in March. Sooooooo (350 + 600 = $950) - $140.00 in rebates = $810.00. I agree, GREAT price on GREAT tires. :_rock

No reason to lie on the price I paid: Purchased on 10/30/09 AM (last day for the rebates) installed (w/Road Force balanced) on 11/13/09. 2-GY P245/40/R18" 88Y F1 Supercar EMT Run-Flat $350.00 - 10/30/09 PM 2-GY P285/35R19" 90Y F1 Supercar EMT Run-Flat $600.00 (w $50.00ea off for buying 4 from Discount Tire Direct). Filled out rebate form on-line for GY's rebate. Called GY in January '10 looking for my rebate & girl couldn't find it so she processed it again, meanwhile... NCCC (Dec issued) had offered a $40.00 rebate for members only (allowed to be used with one other GY rebate offer) to celebrate their 50th Anniversary, sent that in with membership number. First week in February came a $50.00 check, 3rd week came another $50.00 check (guess they found my first on-line form) then the $40.00 rebate check came in March. Sooooooo (350 + 600 = $950) - $140.00 in rebates = $810.00. I agree, GREAT price on GREAT tires. :_rock

Basically, this was a one shot deal for purchasing within a special time frame, however, double rebates and lost rebates are not the norm!

I paid $922.00 out the door for the Hankooks, which included mounting, balancing, and tax. I have a $50.00 rebate coming back from Hankook which will lower my out the door price to $872.00. Had I purchased the GYRF's the total cost would have been well into the $1650.00 range. And, as I mentioned, I've bought many GYRF replacements and never came even close to your price.

If you think you're able to duplicate your GYRF transaction let me know where to send the check...I'm in!
chris :beer

Chris

Wow $1650.00! I guess I was in the right place @ the right time. I knew I got a good deal just didn't realize how good. I paid $149.00 locally for the Road Force mounting/balance on my: new chrome Z06 "Spyder" wheels w/all new nuts/locks/chrome stems & GM tire pressure sensors (another good deal out of Texas) But there IS a big different between Tire Rack's prices compare to Discount Tire Direct's prices. And… I like the No Tax / No Delivery part also. :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom