Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hard shifting into first, sometimes second

jss101

Corvette
2014 Z51
Back when the weather was still warm I picked up a 2014 Z51 with the 7 speed manual. I absolutely love the car, it's a huge upgrade from my C5. One thing I've noticed, however, is at times it can be difficult to get the shifter to go all of the way into gear for first, sometimes for second. Even if, say, stopped at a light, and you go to shift into first, you might have to push harder than I'd expect to get it to go all of the way into gear. When first driving the car, I managed to grind it a few times, thinking it was in gear. Of course quickly pushing in the clutch worked fine, but it broke my heart. Now I'm extra careful to really make sure it's solidly in gear but it seems like I shouldn't have to be so worried about it. It concerns me if I ever let my son or a friend drive it if they would have the problem.

Anyone else experience this?
Thanks for your comments.

Hey experts out there - would you recommend changing the clutch fluid? I only have about 10K miles, but I don't think it's ever been done and the vehicle is a 2014. I've had it for one season, about to break it out again now.

Clutch fluid is not going to affect shift effort.
How many miles are on this car?

I have noticed on my 2019 C7 (ZR1) manual that there seems to be a detent for first gear. When stopped, I must feel the small "snick" to ensure the shifter is all the way home or it will not engage first. When rolling, there is no issue.

I only have 350 miles on this car.

There is no issue getting into second...of course the ZR1 has an electronic limiter that forces a First to Fourth shift under certain circumstances.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom