Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hard start problem

joesroad

Corvette
1988 Bright red Coupe
I'm having problems with my 88 coupe when I start her up. Always takes a few tries before it will fire, after that it runs fine. It has no codes stored so I realy dont know where to begin looking. Anyone have any ideas?:;shrug

Does it take longer to start the longer it sits? If so it could be the fuel pump check valve is leaking, allowing the lines to drain back to the tank. You then have to crank it long enough to repressurize the system. Should start up pretty quick when warm if thats the prob though.
good luck

Lone73, It does seem to start faster when its warm, I think you may be on to something here. Where is the check valve located?

inside the fuel pump.

My 92's hard starting issue was traced to a ruptured diaghragm in the fuel pressure regulator. I found it when I pulled the vacuum line and fuel dribbled out.

put a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail and start it up. Make a note of the pressure reading while the car is runnibg. Shut it off and let it sit overnight with the pressure guage left on. Check the guage in the morning and see if the pressure dropped. If it did you have a problem with your fuel system.

pressure will decay on most over time...if you have less than 10 psi after 12 hour sit, you need to f/f (find and fix).

you can get a test gauge and adapter kit at harbor fright for $15 bucks...everybody should own one...do NOT leave it on for any longer than necessary, pressure gauges often start to leak and your insurance company does not enjoy buying your melted car.

I'm having problems with my 88 coupe when I start her up. Always takes a few tries before it will fire, after that it runs fine. It has no codes stored so I realy dont know where to begin looking. Anyone have any ideas?:;shrug
try cycling the ignition key on and off about 6-8 times with 5 seconds between the off cycle. the fuel pump runs for about 3 seconds every time you turn on the ignition to prime the system so doing this should prime the system up to full pressure and should start right away if the system has bled down do to a leaking check valve.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom