Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hard Start Problems

akbigbear

Corvette
1977 L-82, Shiny Silver
My car has never ran cooler or better than it does now with the exception of hard starting.

The timing is set right on, the carb was rebuilt over the winter but it just doesn't want to start right up with the exception of right after shutting it off. If it sits for 10 minutes after running I have to crank and crank and crank it over before it starts.

What suggestions do you have?;shrug

Could the fuel be draining back down from the carb? Does pumping the gas a bunch before cranking it cause it to start?

Could the fuel be draining back down from the carb? Does pumping the gas a bunch before cranking it cause it to start?

Fuel could be running back down the from the carb. I will pull the carb tomorrow and check it.

I've tried not pumping the gas and pumping the gas both and neither seem to make a difference.

check this out

Hello ok bigbear your vette will have HEI, no points, unless you have changed it,
dont allways assume its gaz problems, most often its ingnition. this is a easy item
to check remove your distributor cap take a good look remove module, clean all items like, wire harness, capacitor, and make sure all screws are tight, when replacing the module apply sillicone grease to the base and make sure the two screws are tight, grease is essential to ensure good heat conduction, .you may think that all this is not required because your car goes well, but if you are not getting a full good spark, say only 50% to 75% spark your car will still go well
but will not start properly, then finally check cap, rotor etc, .this is exactly what happened to a 65 buick riviera i own, i fitted pertronix electronic ingnition and i shipped the car to newzealand the shipper left the key on, could have been for weeks not sure, after that the car would never start properly, just like yours after 10 15 minutes, so i went back to points fine ever since. regards wayne.

Maybe, I would check the choke for operation on the car anyway, it's usually only a gap setting , I've rebuilt Q-Jets and they need to be set up after their installed, just because it's new doesn't mean your done..........

This is exactly what I am working on. Choke adjustment. I have not tested my adjustment yet because I am trying to do several things at once while the car is out of operation. But choke could be the problem.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom