Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hard to find Mechanic

Robert12

Corvette
1988 Silver
I have a 88 corvette. Had it since last Oct. Had some small problems. However, no matter where I take it I get the same reaction. O MY a 88
Have never worked on one like this. Or I know nothing about Vettes. Even at the Chevy dealerships, I get the strangest looks and reaction. I guess because it is 20 years old. I have found a MASTER MECHANIC that is going to do some work for me.

Most guys are afaird to touch them. :confused

Robert12, The Corvette Guru around our neck of the woods, Is CJ at Bonner Chev., He's helped me out a few times, Good Mechs. on 88's, around here? Good luck

i feel your pain, anyone around my parts who has even a sliver of knowledge about my car... the infamous crossfire fuel injection.... wants a piece of my liver just to look at it.... lukily if you have any mechanical ability of your own members of this forum will walk you through just about anything.... want to have fun..... try to find someone to paint it!! i just spent 2 hours (and a 12 pack of beer) trying to convince my life long friend to pain mine...... now im half drunk and he STILL wont paint my freakin car!!:mad

Yeah, I hear ya about the paint, back in 73 there was a lad In Plains Pa.that did body work on my 69, he would do small jobs and he did them well, Hammer is what we all know him by back then, but I think he passed away..........

I have had 6 Vette's and except for paint/body/wheel alignment, I do everything myself, It's too prohibitive to have someone work on a Vette. I've done clutches, rebuilt stone crushers, ported heads, changed springs, cams, troubleshooted my 88, waxed my 99, I just love the bastards(Corvettes)OOps I apologize.................

Muddy, I went to see this guy. He is a master machinac in Duryea. He cannot take the car until early next week as his garage is small. However he seems to know his stuff. If he cannot fix it I don;t know who can. I will check with Bonner Chev also if I have no luck with this guy.

thanks for your help

Bob

try to find someone to paint it!! i just spent 2 hours (and a 12 pack of beer) trying to convince my life long friend to pain mine...... now im half drunk and he STILL wont paint my freakin car!!:mad

At least you got something out of the deal. :)

Muddy, I went to see this guy. He is a master machinac in Duryea. He cannot take the car until early next week as his garage is small. However he seems to know his stuff. If he cannot fix it I don;t know who can. I will check with Bonner Chev also if I have no luck with this guy.

thanks for your help

Bob

I'm not a mechanic. I like working on my car when it's done. I hate it when I'm in the middle of it. I've found people near me that will work on it, and not kill me for the price, but with varying degrees of success. Here is what I've done so far that seems to work:

- Always work with the people online to diagnose your car. Always. Taking a car with an unknown problem to a dealer is like writing a blank check.

- Do the easy stuff yourself. I saved $200 installing my own MAF. Once it's diagnosed, if you can't do an MAF yourself, you should sell you car. I'm serious.

- If you determine you can't, or don't want to do the repair yourself, many shops will take the job if it's well defined.

- Keep your ears open, and go to cruise ins. I found a local speed shop where the owner is a racer, but also works on cars. GM is his specialty. I found this guy by asking the alignment shop owner if he knew any good mechanics. I found the alignment shop by asking the body shop guy that I'm friendly with. I asked the speed shop owner about changing out my intake, he didn't look at a book, just said: "About $300". That's a deal.

That's my plan, it's worked so far.

thanks DaleD.

Anytime.

One other suggestion. Get a Haynes manual. I get the feeling you're like me. That is, you're not a professional mechanic, and have to desire to become one. The Factory Service Manual is very detailed, but I find it hard to work with. The Hanyes manuals are more like Corvette repair for dummies. The Haynes is not always complete, or correct, but it has pictures and points you in the right direction.

Dale, where can I get a Haynes Manual ?

thanks I appreciate your help

do they have ones for perfic cars . Is there a Manual just for 88 corvettes

do they have ones for perfic cars . Is there a Manual just for 88 corvettes

It's a wide range. I think it's 84-89 in one. 90-91 in another and 92-96 in yet another. Not sure. I just needed the 84-89. That's why Haynes is not always right, they cover multiple years, and there are differences. But it gets you close. I have both a Haynes and an FSM.

88 vette

Hi, I got mine from PEP BOYS, I think it was around $12. But as has been said,it's not always 100%.

Hey,
The big deal is the car is 20yrs old.
Plastic will just break if you look at it sometimes.
Aside from the suspension it's just a CHEVROLET...
An ODBI can get basic troubleshooting from the ALDL with a paper clip.
Oh, and the suspension; rear halfshaft ujoints and outer tierods
ends are the wear items. The most costly, wheel bearings, they will get loose. Balljoints will last until someone blows out the boots and they get water and dirt in them. The steering rack will wear out the inner tie rods or blow a seal.
Ask how I know, I've had an 87 for almost 15yrs.

JS

I have a 88 corvette. Had it since last Oct. Had some small problems. However, no matter where I take it I get the same reaction. O MY a 88
Have never worked on one like this. Or I know nothing about Vettes. Even at the Chevy dealerships, I get the strangest looks and reaction. I guess because it is 20 years old. I have found a MASTER MECHANIC that is going to do some work for me.

Most guys are afaird to touch them. :confused

Don't know where you at, but the GMJunkie is the MAN... he's on here look him up, worth the trip...:beer

GMJunkie is the man listen to what he says to check and do it. He also will give you tips on how not to do something. Look up my posts and see what I mean.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom