Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hardtop mounts stripped...how to fix?

David Hawkins

Corvette
1962 Ermine White Hardtop
Hi guys from a new owner.

My wife and I brought a 62 home from Carlisle this year and I've started taking on it's ails.

One problem is that it's a hard top only car and the nuts that press into the deck lid have stripped out of their holes and don't hold. The top rattles like crazy when you drive the car and it doesn't seal to the lid because of this.

My initial plan was to just buy longer bolts and put fender washers and nuts on the bottom...but I found that the deck lid is hollow with a top and bottom and hole doesn't go all of the way through.

So, how do I fix this? This is my first vintage car (my first was a 66 Corvair, but I haven't touched that car in 7 years) and I don't want to just go on instinct (which is to put JB weld on it) and screw something up.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome and congrats on the new car,

Can you post a picture of what your describing.

I have a 62 and it has a soft top on it. But the deck lid when I purchased it had holes for a hard top.

What mine has it a threaded boss (like a nut cert) that it pushed thru the glass lid and then there is a nut that holds it on.

Then there is a bolt thu it that holds the top on.

it pouring out right now and my car is up on my lift. I can take of photo of what mine looks like tomorrow for you.

The Glass Works......

Or something very close to it is a vendor at Carlisle every year and they have everything. Do a search as I know they have a web site somewhere.

I guess I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow, then. I haven't had the deck lid up yet as we haven't taken the top off of the car. The nut sert is what I'm talking about and it looks like it's just pressed into the deck lid and is splined for a friction fit. If it's just missing a nut on the bottom, that would be great. Right now, the nut sert is loose and spins freely when you try to tighten the top bolt down.

I'll post pics if I find out that I don't have access to the bottom of the insert - thanks!

David,
The hardtop mounts are held in by a nut on the underside. The mounts are made from stainless and are threaded on the outside where a nut snugs it down against the decklid. On 58-60 cars, the rear mount in the center goes into the support frame, and has to be accessed through a hole in the support. I presume that 61-62 cars are the same.

Regards, John McGraw

All you will need to do is open the deck and tighten the nuts as the correct connecting parts are on the car

Thanks guys. I was operating by feel since I hadn't taken the top off and I didn't reach back far enough. Looks like it'll be an easy fix!

Unrelated - is there some reason that color production numbers aren't available for 62? It seems that most years you can find out how many cars in each color were made, but for 62, all I've been able to find are charts with numbers for the beige colors and nothing on the others. Ours is white with a fawn interior, which seems to be kind of rare.

for 62, all I've been able to find are charts with numbers for the beige colors and nothing on the others.

That's all there is - the factory records for '62 colors were incomplete.

If you don't already have them, you should get the Owner's Manual, the Assembly Manual, and the ST-12 Shop Manual; all are available from the NCRS on-line store at www.ncrs.org.

:beer

The publications are supposed to arrive Tuesday or Wednesday. I also ordered Volumes I and II of Nolan Adams' books today (gotta be ready for when the right Sting Ray waltzes into my life!).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom