Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Harmonic Balancer

Vette79

Corvette
1979 L-48 Black Coupe
What is the difference between these two Harmonic Balancer's other then just diameter/size?

http://ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=39013&dept_id=1298

http://ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=22920&dept_id=1308

I will be starting a project in early spring which requires removal of the Harmonic Balancer and trying to make a determination on New Harmonic Balancer or clean up the old one and re-install. Thanks...:D

Pssst... Hey Jeff, it's actually a "torsional damper" - not balancer (unless it's one used on a 454). I know, the catalogs call 'em harmonic balancers, but... the more accurate term is torsional damper.

Although, some advised me to use the 8" damper, I went with 6.75" and it works fine. The 6.75" damper weighs around 8 lbs., and the 8" damper weighs about 10 lbs.

I have a gear puller that you're welcome to use. It works well. Unfortunately, I've had to use it more than I would have preferred.

They're called "harmonic balancers", "crankshaft balancers", "harmonic dampers" or "crankshaft dampers". Either of those names is correct enough.

If the engine is a low-rpm, low- or standard-performance SBC, use the smaller balancer. If the engine is high-performance and sees engines speeds above 5500 or so, use the bigger balancer.

DO NOT use a gear puller to remove a crankshaft balancer.

Use a harmonic damper/balancer puller to remove it. Typically a "gear puller" will grip the part on its outer circumference. Do that with a harmonic damper and you will damage it. The proper tool is a puller which threads into the bolt holes in the hub and exerts pressure on the crankshaft snout.

Also, NEVER reinstall a balancer with any type of impact tool. There are special damper installaton tools for that. Use of a hammer will damage the balancer and the crankshaft thrust bearing.

They're called "harmonic balancers", "crankshaft balancers", "harmonic dampers" or "crankshaft dampers". Either of those names is correct enough.

If the engine is a low-rpm, low- or standard-performance SBC, use the smaller balancer. If the engine is high-performance and sees engines speeds above 5500 or so, use the bigger balancer.

DO NOT use a gear puller to remove a crankshaft balancer.

Use a harmonic damper/balancer puller to remove it. Typically a "gear puller" will grip the part on its outer circumference. Do that with a harmonic damper and you will damage it. The proper tool is a puller which threads into the bolt holes in the hub and exerts pressure on the crankshaft snout.

Also, NEVER reinstall a balancer with any type of impact tool. There are special damper installaton tools for that. Use of a hammer will damage the balancer and the crankshaft thrust bearing.

Yes, either of those names is correct enough - but they're not balancers.

Speaking using correct names, I incorrectly described the tool as a "gear puller" (my bad) -- I have a torsional damper puller that is made specifically for this purpose, Jeff. Get in touch with me and I'll let you use it.

Either way, I'm going with stock pulley's and torsion damper even though I decided to upgrade my cylinder heads for my project. It's not like I will be taking my Vette to the drag strip...

:L Since the discussion has brought up the terminology and the terms being discussed are "harmonic balancers", "crankshaft balancers", "harmonic dampers" or "crankshaft dampers" I thought a visit to a very Detailed explaination from geekinavette (Bill) is in order ;LOL
My friend Bill took it upon himself to provide us with the TECHINCAL explaination and I for one would not question Mr. Bill ;)

So take a few minutes and find out the difference, just click right Here to find out!

Bud

Torsion Vibration Damper. I was way off! Thanks for the info.

Oh no not the "harmonic balancer" phrase. That brings back memories and a very long email ;-)

Try a different belt

I put this thread out there but here it is for you:

I've got an '07 C6 coupe, and it was fine after I bought it from a private party 8 mo. ago, but in the history of the car per the VIN # nobody owned it for more than a yr. Now maybe I know why. It had 34K mile on it when I got it and I put about 3k on it and then the cherping started. A Vette shop told me it was the harmonic balancer separating and wanted $800 to install a new one and the Chevy dealer said $1200 to do the same. A Vette owner friend ref'd me to a local small shop where the mgr. was VERY good a solving problems, and he took a look and decided to put a different serpentein belt on, problem solved, (charged me $120) he saved me $1000, turns out he's one of the last honest mechanics in Orange Co. Ca. Now when I start it up if it's been sitting for 2 or 3 days (it's a 2nd car) the squeaking/cherpping is back. I took it to my guy, and it did look like the HB was vib. just a little. He changed the tensioner arm...same problem, still cherpping. Then he put on a new belt, same mfgr. same pt. # and suddenly it sounds like a nut came loose off of a bolt inside the balancer and is banging around inside ONLY WHEN YOU START IT UP OR SHUT IT OFF, then it quits. So, we put the old belt tensioner back on. The only thing we changed was the belt, so we put the old belt (slightly more stretched) back on and NO CHERPING, NO NOISE AT ALL. We came to the conclusion that with a newer slightly smaller belt that put more tension on the main crankshaft pulley (even though it was the same part #'d belt) it caused this knocking/clanking sound at start up.
I asked GM through phone calls and Emails, "How can you put such an important device on a vehicle that doesn't last close to the life of the car, or at least more than 40,000 miles and is so expensive to repair?" Their reply was "Sorry it's over the 25K mile warranty?" On other forums I read that there are certain serp. belts that work better than others. So...before you go spending a ton of $$$ on repairs I suggest trying a different mfg. bet. I guess you just have to crack it up to "This is what you get when you own a performance auto". Hope this helps in some way. GOOD LUCK!

What is the difference between these two Harmonic Balancer's other then just diameter/size?

Corvette Harmonic Balancer, With 350ci Or 305ci Engine, 1972-1991 - Corvette Parts And Accessories

Corvette Harmonic Balancer, With 350ci Special High Performance Or High Performance, 1969-1980 - Corvette Parts And Accessories

I will be starting a project in early spring which requires removal of the Harmonic Balancer and trying to make a determination on New Harmonic Balancer or clean up the old one and re-install. Thanks...:D

you know this thread is 6 years old....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom