Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

having trouble

billyz06-2003

Corvette
2009 callaway crystal red coupe, 1995 pace car
got a 03z and trying to do solo 2 racing. my problems are many but for now here are a few. car balance, should i brake with left foot, i try to over power the course and as a result eather she will push, are if i put power tosoon i will get loose. havnot hit any cones but my times are so bad even the woman including my wife are beating me. God for allthats holy some body help this pour soul.:eyerole :eyerole :eyerole :eyerole :eyerole :eyerole :eyerole :eyerole :eyerole :eyerole Billy

Are the women driving Z06's too? Women having better times than you is perfectly OK but if your Z06 is loosing to "other brands" that would not be acceptable! :D

no they are not, getting beat by evervthing and everybody. last event 116 entered i came in 114, and one guy didn't show. real sick i'd say. but i will keep trying. our 2nd event is this sun. on mothers day, see if i can imporve any. thats a real reach.:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) Billy P.S. there was also a 6 year old boy in a cart guess what.:ugh :ugh :ugh :ugh :ugh :ugh :ugh

no they are not, getting beat by evervthing and everybody. last event 116 entered i came in 114, and one guy didn't show. real sick i'd say. but i will keep trying. our 2nd event is this sun. on mothers day, see if i can imporve any. thats a real reach.:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) Billy P.S. there was also a 6 year old boy in a cart guess what.:ugh :ugh :ugh :ugh :ugh :ugh :ugh

Well then, you might want to post about how much you enjoy the car instead of your results! :eyerole

I just did the three day driving course at Spring Mountain motorsports park in Pahrump, Nevada. Your driving skills will improve by leaps and bounds after spending some time with them. Check out their website. They are one of the sponsors on CAC. They'll help you get to the front of the pack for sure.

Jupiter

got a 03z and trying to do solo 2 racing. my problems are many but for now here are a few. car balance, should i brake with left foot, i try to over power the course and as a result eather she will push, are if i put power tosoon i will get loose. havnot hit any cones but my times are so bad even the woman including my wife are beating me. God for allthats holy some body help this pour soul.:eyerole :eyerole :eyerole :eyerole :eyerole :eyerole :eyerole :eyerole :eyerole :eyerole Billy

Have you taken a driving course? You'll pick up some bad habits if you haven't done so. If you feel you can compete without taking a course then go with what feels comfortable to you. If you feel confident braking with your left foot continue to do so. In time you'll do it without thinking and your times should come down. For the record, I feel women have better reaction times than we do.

Have you taken a driving course? You'll pick up some bad habits if you haven't done so. If you feel you can compete without taking a course then go with what feels comfortable to you. If you feel confident braking with your left foot continue to do so. In time you'll do it without thinking and your times should come down. For the record, I feel women have better reaction times than we do.
A driving course is a good idea. Smooth and efficient as possible is my recommendation. Faster times will come after.

Well then, you might want to post about how much you enjoy the car instead of your results! :eyerole

:L

Sounds like a driving course is in order, Billy. Good luck and have fun!

:wJane Ann

The key is smoothness, looking ahead and picking your line. While at an autocross last Sunday I saw a couple of new people, one driving a 911 and one driving a new GTO that were constantly on and off the throttle during every run, which led to very slow times. It was a chalenging course with lots of lines but if you picked the right line and drove very smoothly you could put up some fast times. I was driving my 82 Camaro and before my first run the announcer said that it was a Miata course and not a CP course (I was parked in the front of the grid next to a Miata), but I beat all of the Miata's in that heat. Good luck!

Kevin

There's no substitute for experience and "seat time". Walk the course before the event and visualize how best to drive it, look ahead when driving to see what's coming up on the course and not just over the hood of your car, look how the good drivers are driving the course when you are out there working the corners, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Many of the more experienced drivers will help you along the way and may even give you a ride in their cars. There are plenty of other drivers who will help you out. When you first start autocrossing, you have to leave your ego at home because it will take a lot of competition driving to get the experience you need to continually go fast on an autocross course. It requires a totally different technique than track driving and the fast autocross cars are set up differently than a track car. Some courses are good for a Vette, and some are not.

Many of the drivers at your events probably have 10, 20, 30 or more years of autocross experience. A C5 makes a great autocross car, you just have to learn how to manage the power. I autocross an older Porsche 911 and can beat the times of most Corvette drivers even though I have half the horsepower. However, out of over a 100 cars (90% Porsches) at our events, the fast time of the day is normally set by a very good driver in a '99 C5 FRC. Keep plugging along and look at it this way, there is nowhere to go but up.

Rod

My experience has been more often then now, slower is usually faster. Sounds stupid, but try to take a ride in another high horsepower vehicle and watch how they drive. Smooth transitions are key. But like others have said, seat time is the most important thing. Next most important thing is of course tires.

Ian, thanks for the advice, will keep trying to get better. it"s a little hard getting beat by the girls,kids, and any body they find wondering around gateway international. :L I will keep my chin up and enjoy it anyway. o buy the way welcome to the cac, you will enjoy the club.:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)Billy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom