Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Head Gasket Replacement Info

eoseitz

Corvette
1974 Stingray L82
Hey Everyone,

I am building an engine for my 1974 Corvette. I have a rebuilt 1981 LT9 short block that is bored .30 over with a mild edelbrock Cam. I was able to pick up a pair of freshly rebuilt 1966 462 camel hump heads that are setup for rocker studs, port polished, ect. I got a fairly decent deal on them. $700 for the block and $450 for the heads.

I'm buying up the remainder of the parts I need to finish putting it together and after buying the head gasket, I noticed something strange. The felpro gaskets (7733-pt-2) says it's made for 1955-93 GM 350s and 1967-2001 GM 350s. However, some of the holes aren't as big as the ones on the block. Is this a problem? I'll post pictures below.

The red marks show holes that are smaller or misshaped on the gasket and the red green marks show missing holes on the gasket.

IMG_1243.jpgIMG_1244.jpg

The small holes in the gasket are more to allow steam to escape from the block to allow for complete filling of coolant around the cylinders than they are for coolant flow. The size and odd shape of the holes is more for ease of casting than for flow volume.

Tom

Ok. Thanks for the info. I kind of thought that, but it's better to make sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom