Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

header question

Jim B

Corvette
1974 L82 Grey coupe
Hi Guys,
I will soon be putting a set of tight tuck headers on my 74. Wonderd if there are any pitfalls or problems to watch for. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks , Jim

I don't know what "tight tuck headers" are but I put on some full length headers on my 75 without any issues at all.

They may hit your drivers side motor mounts. I had to "massage" mine a bit. God bless, Sensei

I installed "block hugger" headers on my 1980 with no problem. The only clearance issue was with the steering box, but not too bad. Make sure the header flanges are smooth and flat, and use good gaskets. They tend to loosen after a few weeks so re-torque the fasteners in a week or so. You may want to investigate the allen-head bolts that are available also. I found them after my installations was complete, but they should address many of the tight clearance problems you'll experience. Good luck.

I would have to ask 'Why'? Shorty headers flow no better than the big rams horns do. Your performance gain will essentially be zero. If you have a modded engine then you'll want full length or tri-Y, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

I would have to ask 'Why'? Shorty headers flow no better than the big rams horns do. Your performance gain will essentially be zero. If you have a modded engine then you'll want full length or tri-Y, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

I can only speak for the '69, but this may be the case for other C3s -- one advantage for going with the shorty headers is clearance. The collector on the shorty header is located in the same area as the ram horns. This makes it possible to run the exhaust and utilize the shields located on the lower firewall without mods.

I have full length headers, and they did not clear the shields. I had to modify my shields and cut up the heat barrier insulation to accomodate the headers (which also run very hot).

My friend has a '79, and installed Sanderson shorty headers and an H-pipe. They fit nicely, and tucked away perfectly.

The shorty headers allow you to still use the stock transmission mount, and require far less modification than do full length headers. I'll grant you that the performance difference is much greater with full length headers. However, as compared to the ram-horns, it's a big difference. This is mainly due to increased flow. The 1980 exhaust system, among its other faults, had the pipes necked-down to 2" at the manifolds. By going with shorty headrers and 2.5" pipes, you increase the flow by 36%.

That,s why I went with short headers. Clearance and no or minor mods. Looking forward to getting them on. I,ll let you all know how it goes.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom