Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Headers for a 1969 factory side mount exhaust system

Corvette
1969 Lemans Blue Coupe
Greetings.

Does anyone on this C3 forum have headers connected to their factory side exhaust system that was offered on the 69?

Greetings.

Does anyone on this C3 forum have headers connected to their factory side exhaust system that was offered on the 69?

Having had factory style pipes... I would think you'd need shorty, block huggers because most mid and full length headers would come down near the tranny- whereas side pipes start to move towards the side of the car behind the front wheels along / near the frame.

Maybe some one will have pictures from underneath. I never took any from the underside.

Hope that helps!

Hedman Hedders used to offer a header for use with the factory side pipes. They featured a collector that was rotated 90 degrees that passed under the frame rail. No idea if it's still available or not.

I don't have any pics,but i've seen many cars with full length headers and factory side pipes. They just had a muffler shop weld up a simple "s" bend pipe to connect the two.

Greetings.

Headman Headers does now offer the headers for C-3 Corvettes with side-pipes. I just got a set for mine. They look great and a nice fit. Summit has them for a good price; $169+shipping. I got mine in 2 days from Summit. :happyanim:

Using the S pipe with other headers is worst that no headers at all. :ugh

Gary

Been away for a few days and since this was my original post, my builder had headers custom built by a shop in MA for my 1969 L46 with factory side exhaust. Going to see them tomorrow and will take pictures. They were also ceramic coated locally. Engine has new heads, roller cam and rocker arms, intake and pistons and several other updates. The factory pipes were cut from the front and fitted with tubing to accomodate the new headers and increase the air flow. He was so excited with the end product that he wants me to see them tomorrow. The complete exhaust system is ceramic coated. Will try and post pictures tomorrow or the next day.

:cool!: Can't wait to see the pictures. I love LeMans blue. You will love your new side pipes, I just installed Hooker pipes about a month ago and love them.

Below are two pictures of my specially made headers and factory side pipes. The headers were specially built for my 1969 L46 and notice the mod to the side exhaust. The original small pipe going into the factory side exhaust has been removed and a much larger pipe was welded to it to accomodate the large header opening for better air flow. The headers and pipes have been completely ceramic coated. Can't wait to get them on. Just unwrapped 0ne header and part of the factory exhaust so you can see the mod's. Not going to buy those out of a magazine.

The company that built them for me is Tubular Automotive Custom Exhaust Hope the pictures load ok.

http://s1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd439/armenj1531/?action=view&current=IMG_5225.jpg

it's not the sound but the performance

I am interested in the perfomance of this test setup. Not the sound. Vette will be dyno tested once completed. Sound, give or take, will be just a sound. There are tons of sounds out there.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom