Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

headers

Pac-man

Corvette
1999 triple black vert.
Hello everyone, looking for some info. I'd like to install longtube headers and wondering if it will be as simple as the install or will I need a computer tune. Hoping the stock computer will adjust for the increased flow. Any advice on which headers to buy would also be appreciated.

If you just gonna be cruising around the car should not give you any problems, my longtubes did not. But looks like your in the hunt for more power I recomend a dyno tune to be safe. I have heard the factory tunes are sometimes a bit lean. You could go with a mail order tune but that is just somebody taking at educated guess based on the averages. I had my tuner remove 2 of my 02 sensors and I installed a wideband in one of the bung holes and use the other bung hole for when car goes on dyno to get the most accurate info, better than tube in the exhaust pipe. When you start to factor modifications with a tune it gets real pricey.
Dyno tunes could run you 300 to 500 a pop. If you couple that with a quality lasting and performance header 1000/2000 not installed. Good luck and you gotta look at the LG Motorsports headers I love mine.

Thanks you for the replay. Do you know of any tuners in the New England area? If I understand you correctly, your saying if I have the headers installed it should run good but if I'm looking for optimum performance I should get a tune? I run it hard every once in a while but generally I just cruise. Looking for the deep sound and a little more low end twist.

You won't need a full tune, but you will likely require some PCM tweaks... especially if you switch to no or hi-flow cats at the same time. There's no danger involved if you can't get to it right away, as these engines typically are tuned rich from the factory (for safety). However, be prepared for intermittent powertrain codes and CEL until you get to it.

Header recommendations? LG Pros, Kooks, and American Racing have proven themselves to be reliable, rugged, and get the job done. I have thermal coated LG's myself. The thing I like about the LG Pros is that they use a slip fit and clamp connection to the exhaust system - no worry about catching or scraping a collector flange on a speed bump or rr track.

As for tuners in your area...
Dez Racing in Raynham, MA is excellent (I used to live in MA).

HTH!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom