Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlamp woes.

Corvette
1988 convertible-blue pearl
My 88 has never had the famous headlight problems so I didn't pay too much attention to those threads so now I need advice. They worked fine until I left the interior lights on and several days later I had a dead battery. When I hooked up the battery charger I heard loud clicking coming from a something near the battery. I think it is the alternator but I'm not sure. After a little while there was clicking noises coming from the headlight motors??? I don't get it. Now the car runs fine but when the lights are turned either on or off, the pop ups make a loud clacking and they shake - maybe 5 or 6 times. While this is going on, the round thing on top of the motor keeps spinning. Since this is apparently related to the battery being charged, I just don't understand it. I know there are plastic bearings that go bad and they sell brass ones to replace the plastic ones. Does it make sense that this is the problem? Mid America sells gears with bushings for $60 which is fine if that is really the problem. Does anyone have any pictures of how to take them apart. I know I can take it to a mechanic and probably pay big bucks but if this is something easy then I would like to try it if only for the experience. What did charging the battery have to do with it?

Thanks. I think I will do the tear down first and then decide if I need the gears as well as the bushings. I really appreciate the pictures.

I had the same thing on my 88.....I used three ball bearings instead of the plactic bushings. They work great now....Not a hard fix at all........good luck

Jon, thanks for the link to the repair article. I printed it out and went to work. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be(at least taking it apart). When I pulled the gear out there were no bushings, just plastic grit. The gear looks good.
Darryl, I like your idea of using a ball bearing, it sure won't crumble. I will try to find one that fits.
I luv this CAC. I don't have a clue what to do but somebody shares their experiences and it saves me a fortune in repair bills.

Do you remember where you got the ball bearings from? Also, is there any particular size or should I just take the gear along and try to find one to fit?
Daryllawman said:
I had the same thing on my 88.....I used three ball bearings instead of the plactic bushings. They work great now....Not a hard fix at all........good luck

I just used the bearings out of an old axle . Just get three good size ones to fill up the opening in the plastic gear....They really work well, I have had them in for several years now. They work alot better than the plastic bushings and will last........

I found a hardware store that carried ball bearings for .32cents each. Put them in now the headlamp is working fine. While doing this I noticed a short strut on the passenger side next to the headlight but there is none on the drivers side although there are mounting brackets for one. Do you have 1 or 2 on your car?

;) Glad to see that the headlights are working good again. That is the best fix for them I think. I know that I have done several since my 88 and no problems at all and alot better than the plastic bushings. As for the small struts on the hood. I have two. You can get these at diff. places. Mid-America wants 74.00 a piece for theirs. Way to high...I got two from Ecklers for 20.00. They work fine....

Hood struts I got at a Pep Boys a few years back, $15.00 a piece, where Napa wanted $24.00.

Can't remember the part number, but they were hanging there on a rack...

These bearings your talking about. Are they bearing assemblys ? or just balls. Never having had the headlights apart I am lost .but want to file this in the don't forget part of the brain for when mine decide to give trouble. Thanks.

ball bearings

scav said:
These bearings your talking about. Are they bearing assemblys ? or just balls. Never having had the headlights apart I am lost .but want to file this in the don't forget part of the brain for when mine decide to give trouble. Thanks.
click on the link that Jon provided. When you get the motor off the car you will open a round metal cover (be careful not to tear the gasket) and you will see the white nylon gear. Pull this out & turn it over. The pictures show where the bushing go inside the gear. Kind of a triangle shaped thing. I bought 3/8" balls and put them where the bushings are supposed to go.

OK I get the drift now. They are more like rollers than bushings. It all makes sense to me, the gear must not need latteral support.If anyone wants stainless steel 3/8 in balls , I have hundreds. they come out of a hub on a panwasher we build where I work. If intrested where I work, www.lvomfg.com
I work as a machinest.

When I say 3/8 I should say .375 tolerance on them is +.00002 - .o
If anyone has some oddball piece they need , I run a CNC lathe and an NC vertical mill. I have up to 1 in 304 stainles rod for machining , and mild steel bar up to about 2 in . Also have delrin Uhmwpe and nylon rod and some sheet. Usually all I need is a simple print. I also have the use of mig and tig welders.

What good would I be without good balls in here? :_rock I have other hardware to go with that.... You know plastic, steel , etc. Daryl send me your snail mail addy and I will send you a couple dozen . My email is scav48@yahoo.com That way the next time you won't have to wait for them. Sounds like you fix this problem on a regular basis.:)

PS besides , who knows when I come through Tenn. going a little to fast. :SLAP

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom