Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Headlamps and running light problems

Paul W. Sammarco

Corvette
1999 Corvette, 350 cu. in., Targa-top, hatchback
Hello, Folks -
Bit of a problem, and I would appreciate your help. I need to drive about 1500 miles next week and need to nail this electrical problem down before pull out of the driveway.

1999 350 Hatchback, Targa Top. Stock. Symptoms:

. Headlamps are stuck in up position
. No front running/parking lights
. No rear running/parking lights
. Gauge lights work only when engine is not running or when interior dome/rearview-mirror light is on (strange)
. Headlights are functional
. Directional lights functional
. Brake lights are functional.

Background: I had a right directional bulb out. I followed recommendations for replacement found on this or another similar site, accessing the area from beneath the open headllamp. The only way I could keep the headlights up to do the replacement, however, was to leave them on. Replaced the bulb, which had a broken globe. Leads would have been active.

Shorted? Fuse blown? Checked the fuses for the headlamp motor relays, and they appeared to be OK.

Any suggestions? Sorry for troubling you with this minor one.

Thank you.

Paul

For anyone who experiences these same problems, here's an answer to my own question. The wiring on these Vettes is not as clean as the labels imply. There was a blown fuse for the tail-lights. Replaced that; fixed the tail lights. Simple. But there are a number of micro-relays that claim to be involved in these issues. There is one micro-relay labeled "Front Right Runnning Light". When I replaced that, it fixed the right front running light, the left front running light, the headlamp motors, the gauge lights, and the dash lights. FYI. :beer

THanks for the info....
I beleive the reason no one responded to your post is this is the C4 section 1984-1996 and you seem to have a 1999 = C5

Have a great day.

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom