Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlight door adhesive

GrayBeard

Corvette
!988 Bright Red Coupe, Z51, Cold air intake, Short
Does anyone know what type of adhesive was used to bond the headlight door to it's subframe on the C4's.

Does anyone know what type of adhesive was used to bond the headlight door to it's subframe on thee C4's.

I wasn't aware there was any adhesive used. My 86 HL doors had screws on the side. Remove the screws and the doors come right off.

Jake

The door is attached to a frame with adhesive and the frame is screwed/bolted to the rest of the assembly. Mine separated at the adhesive and I really don't want to spend $100.00 for a new one If I don't have to.

The only adhesive I found was for use in bodies manufactured prior to , I believe it was the mid 70's. The fiberglass used after that was different.

Well, I didn't know that the door was glued, so I've learned something today. If I were a betting man, I'd say it is probably the same adhesive used to glue the body panels together. It's a two part SMC adhesive. I can't think of the name right off, but someone here will chime in and let you know.

It was a shock to me as well. Especially when the door flew over the car at 70+ mph. Fortunately the door only suffered minor scratches that can be easily repaired, if it can be reattached.

Fusor 127EZ can be used,but by the time you buy it and a application gun you will have $150.00 in it!!! I believe you can use Evercote Vette Panel adhesive though!! It's still about $30.00 a qt with hardener!!:upthumbs

Fusor 127EZ can be used,but by the time you buy it and a application gun you will have $150.00 in it!!! I believe you can use Evercote Vette Panel adhesive though!! It's still about $30.00 a qt with hardener!!:upthumbs

That's the stuff I'd heard about, Maybe if you just take it up to a local body shop they'll glue it back on for you for a minimal charge.

Another good idea. Thanks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom