Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Headlight issues

Machine15825

Corvette
1984 C4
When I go to turn my headlights on my radio goes blank and my lights don't go up... All my fuses are good none are blowing which leads me away from a ground fault or a Pos/pos fault. Could a motor be bad?? Give me some pointers please.

When I go to turn my headlights on my radio goes blank and my lights don't go up... All my fuses are good none are blowing which leads me away from a ground fault or a Pos/pos fault. Could a motor be bad?? Give me some pointers please.
I don't know why it would lead you away from a ground fault!!;shrug
Thats Exactly the way a Corroded or High resistance ground will act some of the time!!:thumb:thumb:thumbClean and Inspect ALL Grounds!!!95% of all electrical problems I encounter on these cars are grounding issues and require no parts except Contact Cleaner,Boeshield T-9 and a piece of Coarse Sandpaper!!:thumb

Bad grounds make electronics do weird things!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Hi Schrade, was it the corvette forum that banned you ? Roger.

Sure was...

Too much blood n guts, gristle n gore, and general dirty laundy garbage posting in 'Off Topic', and I threw gas on the fires too many times:

http = off-topic/2101781-looks-like-i-was-right-mayor-drugs-dead-dogs.html?highlight=pics
( I said, "any pics of bullet-riddled dogs")

http = off-topic/2101391-watched-a-man-die-today-learn-cpr-if-you-dont-know-it.html?highlight=pics
(I said, "Any pics")

http = off-topic/2101077-bernie-mack-has-passed-away.html?highlight=pics
(ditto)

http = off-topic/2101407-billboards-along-the-interstate-with-crushed-skulls.html?highlight=pics
(I said, "Pics of crushed skulls?")

http = off-topic/2100317-9-illegal-immigrants-dead-10-others-injured-in-highway-79-rollover.html?highlight=pics
(ditto)

http = off-topic/2100210-horrible-bus-crash-in-dfw-sadangel.html?highlight=pics
(ditto)

Then they moderated me, so I pulled out my credit card, and upped my ante from year member to lifetime member, cause that trumps moderators and administrators settings :D;LOL:rotfl That really burned 'em up, especially when I posted the one below (took me 2 months to get that $$$ back too :mad )

:D
http = off-topic/2101053-1-dead-american-tourist-at-the-olympics.html?highlight=pics
(and my reply:

Originally Posted by schrade
Pics?

Gotta' be a youtube of the blade carving the tourists' flesh? And the expression on the face as the blade penetrated? Blood comin' out?

toetap05.gif

ttiwwp.gif

OT loves blood and guts, gristle, death, murder, dirty laundry.

thumbsup.gif
That was my last day, on that post. I didn't see any blood n guts threads for about a week too after bannage, but then they started up again :(

Paganistas :(

Speakin' of 'off topic'...

After you been in a head-on with a drinking driver, SQUARE, 110mph combined speed, no exaggeration, on police report, 55 - 0 in 0s, he got killed, you don't want to hear about that trash.

Hi Schrade, they banned me for 2 months for starting a thread on HP versus BHP. The things some of the "boneheads", on there, were saying was akin to a 5 year old, wearing jackboots. Needless to say I didn't bother going back. Roger.

The technical reference's and advice are great, the side discussion sure takes away from the topic of the thread ;)

While sharing ones dirty laundry may seem interesting to some, it is not something that we here at the Corvette Action Center Community don't have much taste for. Being banned from another Corvette Site may seem like a badge of honor to some, I personally don't.

I know I sound like a broken record, but our Technical and General Generation Forums are not meant for "Off Topic" type or misdirected discussions. There are other sections and Forums within our Community for those types of discussions. Regardless, we do not appreciate bashing other Corvette Sites. Each has it's own personality and way of doing things as we do here.

May I suggest if you all want to compare notes or wander off topic to please consider using our PM messaging system or click on the person name and you want to extend the off subject conversation by email.

As I mentioned THERE is some GREAT Information being shared about C4 Headlights, please keep stay on subject and provide as much help as possible, We ALL gain from your experience’s.

Thank You
Bud Dougherty
Forums Administrator

I agree with Bud here.

I prefer that threads here in the tech forums stay on topic as much as possible because in the future, it makes it a lot easier when another member begins hunting for help / answers to the problems they're having, and they can more easily find those answers without having to sift through a pile of posts that don't have anything to do with the topic they're searching for.

As for getting banned at the CF or any other Corvette site, while you're entitled to your opinion and it does provide good insight on how other forum communities are run, please keep in mind that I would prefer that the bashing of other sites be kept to a minimum.

Each online community has it's own inherent personality depending on the type of members they attract. There's never really a right or wrong way to run a set of forums, but in the past, I've seen threads started that bash another site, and before you know it, there's a bunch of people coming over here, registering and beginning to fight back. Before you know, it's an all out online brawl that becomes a royal pain in the ass to have to watch and moderate.

Ummm... A ground fault by definition is a hot wire shorted to ground.... That and a "faulty" ground are different... I'd be popping fuses if it was a ground fault. Thanks for the info.. I might have a "floating" ground is that what you are saying??

Guys I don't think it was a "feat" or "bragging" about being banned. Yes it was off topic but a guy simply asked him a question... Not trying to get banned myself but I don't think there was any ill intentions and insults or being reprimanded for such isn't necessary. Its okay I'm still getting the answers I need about my headlights. As long as that happens people can say whatever they want as long as its not vulgar or insulting me in my threads. Thanks.

I understand your thoughts about online battles and what not... But I didn't really see any bashing in either of their statements. Telling each other there stories and there isn't any harm in that.

Ummm... A ground fault by definition is a hot wire shorted to ground.... That and a "faulty" ground are different... I'd be popping fuses if it was a ground fault. Thanks for the info.. I might have a "floating" ground is that what you are saying??

I shouldn't have said ground 'fault'; rather 'shorted' to ground...

'Short' of the situation - if the fuse pops every time, then the negative side of the fuse socket is shorted directly to the ground somewhere, or somehow...

But enough about electricity - we're gettin' a little 'Off Topic' here uh huh :D

OK, Call it what ever you want!!:LBut you have a Corroded, High Resistance or Non-Existent Ground (Possibly more than one!)and it is trying to ground through another component causing Feedback!! Find It,Clean It and Repair It,And All will be both Hunky and Dory!!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Bad or High Resistance GROUNDS Make Electronics and Lighting do "WEIRD THINGS"!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Thank you very much for your help fellas... Even if it was a touch off topic at times haha

I just noticed both headlights do NOT come up.

Check the module ground first. See the pic in the 'Pointers Here' thread - disconnect the headlight motor module connector, find the black lead, and see if it will ground out a voltage supply (with a multimeter, of course).

If it splices off to another ground point, which the schematic shows in the other thread for a '94, you'll have to test each separately.

Post back on that...

1hlschem.jpg

hpim0723.jpg

Alright I'll check that out here today and get back to you hopefully by tonight.. I really appreciate your help...

Seems to me I had a bad ground... I loosened the ground tightened it back up and I'm back in business. Thanks a lot guys!

It was the ground right beside the driver side headlight. There are two grounds going to the same area and one of them goes to into the wire loom going to the headlight.. So I assume it was that one... I think the other ground wire just jumpers to another part of the chassis ground.. I don't think its a component ground. I don't know for sure they started working so I discontinued my research, and they worked all night tonight so I'm chalking up as fixed for now.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom