Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HEADLIGHT MISERY

Hi, I just checket my assembly, I believe mine is the same as yours, the pin is fixed and the triangle "stopbracket" is moving.

Curley and I have corresponded on this and I am at a LOSS as to what that triangle bracket is, and what it is for! My 94 does not have it on either side and they work perfectly. Anyone's guess what they actually DO?
:W

ok i've finally had it! i am getting a rebuilt motor that works perfectly in about 2 weeks. this has driven me crazy enough. this is what it is doing now: when i reconnect battery cable the manual knob spins like crazy. then i turn on the headlights and they go up half way and the knob keeps spinning for about 5 more seconds. then i manually rotate the headlight all the way up, it is in position but it WON'T STAY UP! WTF??? it stays up for a few seconds then if i push on it just a little it goes down. now why is it that i can manually rotate this up and down but when power is applied the knob spins like no tomorrow?? it seems the worm gear is spinning freely or not contacting the NEW plastic gear. the old gear was hard to remove but this one goes in and out fairly easy. is there an adjustment to keep this new gear tight inside so it won't spin freely? what say anybody?? if i can fix this i will cancel the order for the rebuilt, i really can't afford it because i am about to lose 10% of my pay to the state of california thanks to arnold, i work for the state, he is taking my money to help balance the budget and money is tight. thanks again, curley;help

Curley, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk, I think you MAY have either messed up something permanently in the motor when you did the Delrin mod or you may--most likely--have just put it back together wrong. I would suggest (since you can't afford to spring for a motor, who can?) that you take it apart one more time, and really analyze it and get a good feel for how it works. Think about how each part interacts with each other. Think like this, 'Well, if this part turns, this part is going to turn', etc. I would also set up a tripod for your camera if you have one and take really good close-up MACRO pix with or without a flash and post them or send them to me. I will be glad to help by analyzing your pix. I wish I had the time and resources to fly out there and help, I would love it. You see, it WAS working BEFORE you did the Delrin mod. So it HAS to be something you did. And that something can be rectified.

Paul
:thumb

Curley, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk, I think you MAY have either messed up something permanently in the motor when you did the Delrin mod or you may--most likely--have just put it back together wrong. I would suggest (since you can't afford to spring for a motor, who can?) that you take it apart one more time, and really analyze it and get a good feel for how it works. Think about how each part interacts with each other. Think like this, 'Well, if this part turns, this part is going to turn', etc. I would also set up a tripod for your camera if you have one and take really good close-up MACRO pix with or without a flash and post them or send them to me. I will be glad to help by analyzing your pix. I wish I had the time and resources to fly out there and help, I would love it. You see, it WAS working BEFORE you did the Delrin mod. So it HAS to be something you did. And that something can be rectified.

Paul
:thumb

I agree with Paul's procedure. I have yet to take one of these apart, so I cannot offer any suggestions. My headlites are still working (knock on my head! :L) so I have conveniently NOT studied them at all.

PLEASE SAVE THE :w!

hi guys, you are probably right paul. curley has done it again! it has to be something that i did when i put it back together. i will try it again, step by step and see how each part works together. i can't figure out why this NEW nylon gear goes in soooo easy and comes out soooo easy where the other one was a pain both ways. i think that's why it keeps on spinning. shouldn't tightening all the bolts and the bottom screw on the worm gear keep everything nice and snug?? will keep you all posted, thanks again and HAPPY NEW YEARS TO EVERYBODY (YOU TOO PAUL!):cool

You too Curley! Good luck on it.

BTW: Does anyone know off the top of their heads what that adjustment screw on the bottom of the motor does?

Paul

Curley, I really hope you can fix it without having to buy a replacement.

Paul, my guess is that the adjustment screw is there to keep the axial play of the shaft under control.

//sweabe

Thanks sweabe. I haven't done any research on it or even looked in my FSM. I don't think the FSM has anything to say on it though, not sure.
:beer

one quick question: is the motor shaft with the grooves on it supposed to be set in the metal holder that has the plastic bushings in it? or does it go through and "grab" on the plastic gear part? i noticed that when it is where it should be (the metal part) it spins freely and does not grab. HAS THIS BEEN MY PROBLEM ALL ALONG? the shaft grabs in the plastic gear center (barely) but that doesn't seem right to me. does the shaft and metal bushing holder stay together as one piece because mine has always come apart. if i am a dummy then i am a dummy! curley;shrug

hey everybody, got a rebuilt motor for $44 plus $10 shipping on ebay. my headlight works perfect now. brother in law couldn't get me one. the guy who i bought it from needed my core and when he got it he said my problem was a STRIPPED SHAFT. bushings new, gear new, everything was perfect. i am happy now. woo,wooo,wooo!:)

Great to hear you finally got it going. It is sometimes hard to figure out these little things that make for such a big headache.
Greg

Hey Curley! Good for you man! :upthumbs Glad you finally got it fixed. Thanks for sharing.

Paul

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom