Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlight motor rebuild

tamashane

Corvette
2002 convertible
I recently rebuilt the motors on my "02 convertible. A fairly simple job. Well about a week after that the drivers side light started acting all crazy. It would go up and jump like a gear was stripped. It did same thing when it would close. I knew the gears were fine, as I had just replace them. I could pull it up or push it down fine. I also notice the manual knob wasn't working properly. Well today I finally had time to look at it good. It seems that the housing had separated again. The epoxy that came with the gears is fine but what had happened was I installed the washers and t-brace wrong. On the driver side, make sure you have the washers between the motor and t-brace. then install with the t-brace between the motor and light frame. This puts the necessary pressure on the motor stem to keep it from separating the cover off of the housing again. Went to the nearby auto store, bought some epoxy and repaired my screw up. Now she works like a champ. Also, in the original instructions, it states to be sure to mark the stem nut position for correct placement for proper operation of the light. Well , I got to looking and thinking, and it does not matter how you reinstall the stem, you can always rotate the knob to align it with the arm again. I'm sure at the factory, they just slap these thing together without any "timing" to them. I am hoping that this will help someone else in the future.

Here's what I tell everyone who does this job. Never take both headlights apart at the same time. If you screw up one side, you will always have the other side to look at and see how it is supposed to be put together. :thumb

Here's what I tell everyone who does this job. Never take both headlights apart at the same time. If you screw up one side, you will always have the other side to look at and see how it is supposed to be put together. :thumb

Good advise also Junkman. I did do one at a time, the trouble was with the placement of the t-bracket that came with the kit. I had it on the outside of the motor instead of it being between the motor and headlight frame.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom