Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

headlight noise

gkurtz

Corvette
92 Bright Red Convertable
My headlights have a clicking noise after the are fully open or closing. It makes the clicking noise for about 3 seconds after they are complely closed or open. Is there a stop switch adjustment?

I can find nothing in the Helm manual that indicates an adjustment or "stop" for the headlamp assemblies, indicating to me that there is a built in, non-adjustable stop. The clicking you hear may be an indication that the plastic bushings/gears that rotate the lamp are beginning to shows sign of deterioration - a common malady. ;)

Replacements are available in either the original plastic, or you can get bronze bushings, through any of the aftermarket companies such as Mid America Designs, or you could try your local Chevrolet dealer, he might have some leftover - maybe.

This is most likely the "Delrin" bushings worn out on the inside of the headlight motor assembly. You can order replacements from MA Motorworks or Ecklers...it is quite an agravating job but can be done in an hour if you have the proper tools. I just did my '92 a couple months back

This car has only 4K miles on it. Why would the gears or bushings wear out so soon? Also do you have any disassembly instructions?

Time seems to be more of a factor than use on those damn bushings. I'd look there first.

gkurtz.
If it is what I am expecting...ie, headlight motor is spinning for 3 pr 4 seconds after the doors are completely open or closed it has to be the "Delrin Bushings". I would suspect even though you have only a few miles compared to my '92 time is a factor...water getting in the gearbox and freezing...etc. the factory "Stuff" that is "Packed" in the gear box housing is NOT a bushing from what I've seen in the past but a mere epoxy type substance that will breakdown over time or wear....it is quite a detailed job to do this. first you must disassemble the motor assembly from the headlight. then very, VERY carefully take the gear box apart. Then thouroughly clean out the residue and put in the mew bushings. then re-assemble. Seems very simple but it is a real pain in the sitting spot due to the tighness of the space you are working in. You can remove the entire headlight assembly and then remove the motor and gear assembly but I chose to just try and take off the motor assembly. I did this several months back and have not had any more trouble with thie motors spinning or making the noise I think you are speaking of. The instructions with the bushing kit are very vague at best and do not go into detail needed to complete the job. You have to use a little common sense when doing this. GOOD LUCK! Tim

You can almost bet you need the bushings replaced. If memory serves me I ran a search on this forum for "headlight motor bushing replacement" and found a link to Corvette Magazine detailing step by step how to do the repair. Read the pictured article, pay attention and take your time. The job took a little over an hour for the first motor and the second one is a snap. Believe it or not I'm waiting for a second set of bushings from Mid America for my 93. I just did the job on my 94 a month ago and now my 93 is doing the same thing. I agree with Tuna....time is the factor, not use or mileage. Good luck!

gkurtz,
Let me know if that doesn't "Fix" the problem...we'll find something that will...I just went completely through my ignition/fuel system to find the skip source I mentioned on another thread and it was a bad plug wire...just so many small things on the later models nowdays that can make a big headache for us "oldtimers" like myself who would just love to be able to turn back the clock a few years and work on a "Simple" machine every now and then...ha ha...Good Luck my friend, Tim

noise

hi guys my left light motor is making a chirping sound electronic jerking, for a few seconds stops then does it again keeps doing this is this bushing issue or electrical??, both lights open great and close grate only the left makes this electric noise, thanks for any info:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom