Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlight question

blue84

Corvette
1975 Classic White/1984 Medium Blue Metallic Coupe
I just bought a 75 vette and when I turn on my headlights the red headlamps light lights up on the dash. It stays on till I turn off the lights and is this normal or is something wrong. Any feedback will be helpful.

Wished I could help but I have an 81 and I haven't noticed a red light on the dash. Hang in there one of the other forum members can help I'm sure.

Blue84,

I know this sounds overly simple, but the only red dash light on my 68 is the high beam indicator.

Rick

red light district

My '72 light stays on too. Mine is in shop now and I asked mech why light stayed on... he said there is a switch(one on each headlight) at the fold down headlight that is supposed to shut the red light off when headlight is in total upright position...FC.

There are switches in the headlights

That say...OK the light is UP all the way.

Pass side switch
White/Dark Green and blk ( Gnd )
Drivers side
White/Dark Green and blk ( Gnd )

So if either of these switches do not OPEN ( by the lights getting fully extended) the light in the dash comes on.

Vig!

This indicator light located to the right of the temperature gauge is to let you know that the lights are on but not extended up all the way to the locked position.
If your lights are up all the way and locked and the head lights are on, the indicator light should be off.
There is a switch on the headlight assemblies that needs to be adjusted to make the indicator go off once they lock in place. I believe this adjustment is covered in the Haynes manual. I will check it out tomorrow and post it if someone doesn't do it first.

When did they start doing that guys?

Mine doesn't have these switches does it???

Rick

Vig, the mech said it was easy to break these switches and get a false read. FC.

I just looked

No physical picture in shop manual

and there MISSING in my 73

The connectors are there ..but there just hanging.....

A PUZZLE!

Vig!

The headlights were not going up all the way & locking. I have that fixed now & they will not go down when shut off. I have to reach under & pull on the springs & then they go down. Any ideas what the problem is now? Thanks

But did the indicator light go off?

Haynes manual describes this procedure on page 12-6, section 10.
There is an adjusting screw located on the connecting link that screws onto the adjusting rod.
It is located just behind where the microswitch is located when the lights are up.
When properly adjusted the flat end of the connecting link will touch the buttons on the microswitches and turn off the indicator light.
It is possible that the switches are worn enough so that you have adjusted the linkage too far and it is past the fulcrum that will allow it to be shut.
Try backing off the adjustment until the lights go down on their own again.
If the indicator light stays on at this point, you could replace the switches, you could tape the buttons closed so the light goes off or you could unplug them.

Tanks for the info, it will come in handy while working on it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom