Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

headlight question

silver70

Corvette
1970 silver coupe
i have a question. on 70 coupe both low beams work normal. when selecting high beam, low beam on rt side goes out with hight beam on. low beam on left side stays on with high beam on. which is correct, and what could be the problem. thanks in advance.

I believe your left side is good. Would like someone to back me up on this.

I believe there are two filiments in the sealed beam headlamps. The high beam, is just that, a high beam. I am willing to bet the one filliment is out. You can take out the headlamp and check it with test leads and a 12V DC supply.

thanks for the help. it was the bulb. replaced all with halogens.

Re: Headlight dilemma

Greetings!

I am having a similar problem.
With the normal headlights on, the drivers side
low beam is off and the drivers side high beam is lit.

I depress the switch on the floor, the blue "bright" is lit on the dash,
the drivers low beam comes on and the drivers high beam goes out.

I replaced all the headlights because of this issue. It didn't correct itself
though. Could there be a crossed or disconnected wire?

I bought the car a month ago and slowly going through it.
It was stored for 22 years before I found it. So it probably had
this issue before it was parked and was never addressed.

Any thoughts....

Thanks.

Rudy

I assumed the last person checked the bulbs and I got ahead of myself, so if your bulbs are new and tho two prong and the three prong are in the correct location then I again say " Dimmer " switch, if not than look at the headlight switch. PG

This really sounds like a crossed wire somewhere. First make sure all the wires are in the moulded plastic conectors, and check theconnectors closely. If one looks like its been tampered with , or the wores taken out, I would start there. Dr. Rebuild has a very good wiring diagram for this, its call OOSOEASY, or something like that. It shows a diagram of the moulded ends, wire colors, and routing. Its well worth the $$.

Great thread for troubleshooting. One other thing to remember is to check the grounds if everything else checks OK.:)

Re: Headlights

I tried re-connecting the wires from the plug to the harness, same result nothing. When the car is on, the drivers low beam is off, when I depress the high beam switch on the floor, both the low and high beam comes on. The two- prong plug prongs are loose and the rubber boot around the plug doesn't keep a good hold, even when electrical tape is attached to keep in place.

Great thread for troubleshooting. One other thing to remember is to check the grounds if everything else checks OK.:)
On a C3,Save yourself some trouble!!! Check ALL the grounds first!!!!:D:D:DGrounds are about 80% of electrical problems on a C3!!!:upthumbsBeen There, Done That!!:L

GM Junkie is absolutely correct, if one side works correctly, but the other side does not, it cannot be the dimmer switch. Typically, it is a ground that has either been broken or has corroded. Also, because our headlights physically move, the wires are always being flexed, this can cause breakage.

Cheers

Richard

GM Junkie is absolutely correct, if one side works correctly, but the other side does not, it cannot be the dimmer switch. Typically, it is a ground that has either been broken or has corroded. Also, because our headlights physically move, the wires are always being flexed, this can cause breakage.

Cheers

Richard

Where would the ground wire(s) be that would affect the lights?

Thanks.

Rudy

Where would the ground wire(s) be that would affect the lights?

Thanks.

Rudy

Just about dead center under the nose just ahead of the hood, there is a cable retainer that bends around the wire loom. There is a black wire at the attachment screw. There is also a black wire that runs down along the driver side of the radiator and fastens to the bottom of the radiator support. It would seem here has to be a place where several ground (black) wires are bonded together with a single wire running to frame ground, but I haven't found that point yet.

Problem is, according to schematic, the ground point is common to both sides. So if the ground point was bad it should also affect both sides. Everything behind the bulkhead is common to both right and left, including the dimmer switch. Since the "bright" light illuminates in the dash, it would suggest the dimmer swith is doing its job.

Check the colors of the wires on both the two pin connector (high beam) and the three pin connector (low beam, two filament) along with their orientation in the plug and tell us what they are, just to make sure there aren't wires crossed.

i have a question. on 70 coupe both low beams work normal. when selecting high beam, low beam on rt side goes out with hight beam on. low beam on left side stays on with high beam on. which is correct, and what could be the problem. thanks in advance.

Well silver 70 your thread was from August, what did you find was causing your headlight trouble...Ol Junks been around and knows his stuff, but I going to bet it was the dimmer switch...:Steer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom