Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlight switch replacement

redeasysport

Corvette
1998 Pewter
I see the screws on the back of the headlight switch. My dimmer control is causing my dash lights to flicker.Is all I have to do is take the knobs off and remove the screws to get the switch out?

I am referring to the '90 manual. Is it the same?

It calls for removal of the (-) battery cable, the instrument cluster; then the screws on the right side of the switch, plus those on the trim plate. Finally, disconnect the I/P harness connectors.

As always, reverse to install.

You might be able to improve its function by cycling it bright, then dim, a number of times. Contact cleaner may help, if you can get it inside the switch. One problem with aging and little-used rheostats is poor contact. With no movement between the contact surfaces to keep them clean, a good electrical connection may be regained through the above 'scrubbing' aided by a cleaning agent.

Then again, the switch may have loosened, losing its solid ground connection.

Best of luck.

That is how to remove the whole switch assembly (already did that)I just want to replace the headlight switch on the assembly. I did try everything except the cleaner as I see no place to be able to spray it that will reach the stat.It looks to me as descibed that the assembly can be dis assembled at least the headlight/stat part and that is what I am looking for if anyone has just replaced the switch by itself although if it does come apart from the faceplate I may be able to clean it just dont wanna spin my wheels(pun):eyerole and waste my time trying to dis assemble it.I have Gold lettering on it and the only ones I can find in decent shape are white.

Corvette Central has them for 157 dollars...the picture shows it as gold lettering.

part # 594349

Like I said I have one coming already bought it I can get a gold one for $35 but I need to know if I can remove the switch from the face plate or not HERE IS A PIC OF THE REAR OF IT
27_1_b.JPG

It is close but no cigar the 92&93 have Gold lettering and yes I found one .Ebay to the rescue $40 shipped for a $126 part gotta love it. I even got a white letter one for reasearch to see if it comes apart it will make it to a swap someday.

head light switch

Hi there i had the same problem with the "flickering" as you do-replaced the switch-guess what same problem-I could push on the switch and it would stop for a while then the problem would return as soon as I hit a good hole in the road. When the weather starts to warm up I'm going to check the wiring after the switch. Interested to know if your change out worked! thanks Dennis:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom